Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Newlywed desperately in need of help shopping for bedding

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 10:26 am
So this is really embarrassing but we need bedding for our master bedroom and I don't know what all the terms mean! I don't know the difference between a comforter, quilt, duvet etc. and do we buy matching sheets separately? Right now we are sleeping with regular blankets (whatever that means) and would like to buy a nice elegant set. Please help me understand the terms and give me ideas what/where to shop. We have full size beds (and regret it because it seems impossible to find bedding) thank you!

watergirl

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 10:32 am
Go to bed bath and beyond and they will be happy to help you. Just tell them that you need for a full. Often it will be marked full/queen.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 12:16 pm
If you are in Lakewood, I ordered my custom set from Linen Loft. They have great customer service and reasonable expenses.

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 1:40 pm
It's confusing because the terms often have multiple meanings or are used to mean different things and people call things by different names depending on where you are from. Comforters/duvets/quilts all go on top of the bed.

A comforter can mean two things: it can mean a bedspread

(like this: https://www.google.com/search?.....h=902

which is a thick cover with a color/pattern that goes on top of the bed. It doesn't come apart and you wash it as one piece.

Or it can mean a plain down or microfiber insert like this: https://www.google.com/search?.....xM%3A

That is also often called a "duvet" and it has to go inside a separate washable cover (often called a duvet cover or a comforter cover). You don't usually wash the comforter insert itself (some are dry clean only, some can be washed if your washer and dryer are big enough), but you do wash the outer cover like you would sheets. A benefit to having a comforter insert plus separate cover is that you can change up the cover if you want a new style or it gets stained without having to replace the entire thing, and the inner comforter stays clean.

A quilt usually means a stitched quilted bedspread, like a patchwork quilt: https://www.google.com/search?.....cM%3A

They are often handmade and can be expensive.

In order of warmth, a comforter insert (or duvet) will usually be the warmest, followed by an all-in-one comforter and then a quilt.

For sheets, they are usually sold in sets that include a fitted sheet, top/flat sheet, and 1-2 matching pillow cases. I can go into the different weaves of sheets (percale, sateen, flannel) if you want. The main thing I'd say is look for 100% cotton sheets and that durable, soft, well made sheets are expensive, though there are some good budget options (Target's Threshold brand is quite good for the price).

Polyester and polyester blend sheets often feel really hot/don't breathe well, get static-y and pill after use.

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 1:43 pm
Invest in a good quality down comforter.

Then you can get a comforter cover in any style you want. You can also easily change the look if you desire. Comforter covers are commonly called duvets - depends on your country of origin.

The advantage to me is that with a down quilt and a comforter cover you don't need a top sheet because the comforter cover is easily washed. I hate top sheets as I either feel constricted or wind up with the sheet strangling me.

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 1:49 pm
Amarante wrote:
Invest in a good quality down comforter.

Then you can get a comforter cover in any style you want. You can also easily change the look if you desire. Comforter covers are commonly called duvets - depends on your country of origin.

The advantage to me is that with a down quilt and a comforter cover you don't need a top sheet because the comforter cover is easily washed. I hate top sheets as I either feel constricted or wind up with the sheet strangling me.

This is the European way to make the bed (I think): fitted sheet only, with a comforter+duvet cover on top. A lot of people prefer it. But it can be harder to buy fitted sheets on their own, since sheets tend to be sold in sets.

Amarante

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 2:04 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
This is the European way to make the bed (I think): fitted sheet only, with a comforter+duvet cover on top. A lot of people prefer it. But it can be harder to buy fitted sheets on their own, since sheets tend to be sold in sets.

Yes. My mother was from Poland as was my Bubbe and I never encountered top sheets until I went to camp. I was given two sheets and told that every week I turned in the top sheet and would be given a new one. I dutifully put both sheets on the bottom.

Getting just the fitted sheets can be a problem but I buy from The Company Store. I love their stuff including their down quilts.

They have very trendy colors but o think their sateen white sheets with a subtler pattern are elegant.

If you wait for Black Thursday, they have a great sale although they have sales periodically through the year but I stock up then. Last year I treated myself to a down throw which is heavenly when I am lying in the couch reading. So light but so toasty. Nothing compares to the feeling of being nestled on down.

PS Making the bed with just a down quilt is so fast and easy as well because you just toss it evenly on the bed. Takes just a few seconds.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 3:18 pm
Sorry to say this, but everyone here is making it more complicated than what it is.

Buy yourself a bed in a bag set.
It should come with
A. Cover
B. Pillow shams 2 for full size
C. Ruffle

Then buy a sheet set
It should come with
A. Fitted sheet
B. Flat sheet
C. Pillow cases 2 for full size

Some sets come with all 6 pieces

Macy's is having a sale today
Bed bath and beyond is also very good.

Go on line pick the style you like. Get the same set for you and DH.
Then get yourself a white sheet set.

Also, I wouldn't spend more than $100-$125 for each bed complete.

When it gets yucky, buy new.

Who wants to be stuck with the same style of over 10 yrs.

I like to buy an extra set of sheets for each bed and that's it.

So basically you are buying:
2 bed in a bag
4 sheet sets
1 white sheet set

cnc

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry to say this, but everyone here is making it more complicated than what it is.

Buy yourself a bed in a bag set.
It should come with
A. Cover
B. Pillow shams 2 for full size
C. Ruffle

Then buy a sheet set
It should come with
A. Fitted sheet
B. Flat sheet
C. Pillow cases 2 for full size

Some sets come with all 6 pieces

Macy's is having a sale today
Bed bath and beyond is also very good.

Go on line pick the style you like. Get the same set for you and DH.
Then get yourself a white sheet set.

Also, I wouldn't spend more than $100-$125 for each bed complete.

When it gets yucky, buy new.

Who wants to be stuck with the same style of over 10 yrs.

I like to buy an extra set of sheets for each bed and that's it.

So basically you are buying:
2 bed in a bag
4 sheet sets
1 white sheet set

This is all assuming that you use flat sheets as opposed to duvet covers;)

cbg

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 3:28 pm
Also very important to buy
Matress protector.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 3:35 pm
Here is an example
Comforter set (2sets)
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....12016

Sheet sets (4 sets + 1 white set)
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....+sets

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....+sets

Mattress protector (2 sets)
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....30042

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 3:40 pm
OP, I agree with Amarante.
If you purchase linen from a Jewish vendor, it will make things easier for you as you'll receive a full set including everything you need to make your beds properly.
Look through Closeout Connections' website. They feature double bed sets for around $100 = that price includes linen for two beds.
Know the size beds you have before you choose (twin = 39" wide, antique = 48", full = 54", queen = 60", king = 76").
This is a damask set, if you'd like something on the elegant side.
http://www.thecloseoutconnecti.....Linen
For your reference, the sets come with 2 duvet covers (kind of like pillow cases for both of your blankets), 2-4 pillow cases aka shams (so that each bed has 1-2 pillows), and 2 fitted sheets to cover your mattresses fully.
If you'd like bed skirts aka dust ruffles (for the part of the bed under the mattress that will reach the floor aka the box spring), you can buy those separately once you see how the beds look with the linen sets and you get a feel of what you want to add.
If you need more websites to browse, let us know.
Good luck and Mazel Tov!

cbg

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 3:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OP, I agree with Amarante.
If you purchase linen from a Jewish vendor, it will make things easier for you as you'll receive a full set including everything you need to make your beds properly.
Look through Closeout Connections' website. They feature double bed sets for around $100 = that price includes linen for two beds.
Know the size beds you have before you choose (twin = 39" wide, antique = 48", full = 54", queen = 60", king = 76").
This is a damask set, if you'd like something on the elegant side.
http://www.thecloseoutconnecti.....Linen
For your reference, the sets come with 2 duvet covers (kind of like pillow cases for both of your blankets), 2-4 pillow cases aka shams (so that each bed has 1-2 pillows), and 2 fitted sheets to cover your mattresses fully.
If you'd like bed skirts aka dust ruffles (for the part of the bed under the mattress that will reach the floor aka the box spring), you can buy those separately once you see how the beds look with the linen sets and you get a feel of what you want to add.
If you need more websites to browse, let us know.
Good luck and Mazel Tov!

With this you also need to purchase the inside quilt.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 4:15 pm
cbg wrote:
With this you also need to purchase the inside quilt.

OP said she has blankets already. If she's like me, I call my alternative down comforter / quilt, a blanket.
If OP does not have a comforter yet, Closeout Connections has luscious alternative down ones for $50 each, though they may be too warm for some.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 4:41 am
Thank you everyone you have all been extremely helpful.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 8:08 am
I find down filled duvets the most comfortable, although not good if you have a feather allergy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics