Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My hyperactive son is making me cranky and irritable.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 8:24 pm
Moms of hyperactive little boys: how do you cope??? I get the kid outside as much as possible but we can't be out and running around every second when he's not in school. He cannot seem to calm down at home, and I'm at a loss - this kid is leaving me irritable and exhausted. Tips please - this child is killing me.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 8:51 pm
Been there done that. A number of times.
Cut out as much processed food as possible . and no sugar or coloring. Even in foods like cereals. That helped. Firm clear routine with simple do's and dont's. (Now is run time. Not on tables or furniture. Now is quiet time. You can chose a book or a quiet game). Structure is sooooo important for these kids! And you'd be surprised that they can do some quiet time. After busy time. And guess what? They need it just as much as I do!
The truth is I still sometimes feel a need to escape... Though I love 'em to pieces. Haven't figured that part out yet

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 9:02 pm
I totally get you ds has adhd. So I ask him " what are u going to do? And he has to find to do something or I give him. They are not easy. He's going on meds now. It's just the beginning so the dose is not high enough. But I'm confident it will calm him. It helps a little though we just started.

I second what above poster said. They need structure. It helps a lot. I know exactly how you feel. Theses are the kids that need to learn how to channel thier energy and they grow up to be really helpful. Just letting him run around is not good enough.

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 9:10 pm
ADHD kids don't just get their energy out like all of other people. They are constantly on the go. It doesn't help to let them jump on a trampoline and then they will get tired and then they will be calm. That's not how it works with these kids. I'm just explaining how these kids are wired.

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 9:32 pm
Totally feel the same. I came here to see what to do about him by mistake hurting people. He does that as well. He's already 6. Makes me crazy...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics