Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Which kids winter coat is in now?
1  2  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 8:39 pm
Buying DD spring jacket/puffer vest and a winter coat. What will kids be wearing this year? She's in 4th grade and doesn't want a full length coat.

OutATowner

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 8:54 pm
I don't know about what is "in," since I mainly want my kids to be warm. Usually if something is sold now im a normal store, it won't be awful looking. I like nice coats, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if there is a particular style.
Having said that, I am the OP of the recent coat thread and I just ordered Gap shimmer down coats for my dd. A neighbor just told me she did the same. 35 percent off ends tonight!

amother
Black

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 11:18 pm
It hurts me to spend over $100 on a coat, but so many kids here in Lakewood have the appaman puffers...
Even if they were on sale I probably wouldn't get them because it drives me crazy that everyone needs to get these coats. It's almost like an elite uniform.
My kids are still young though and don't have peer pressure yet.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 11:36 pm
All except my oldest will be wearing hand-me-downs in good condition.

How "in style" does a primary school kid need to be?

perquacky

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 1:03 am
It's in style if it keeps your child warm and doesn't break the bank. Is this for real? Sheesh.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 3:39 am
amother wrote:
It hurts me to spend over $100 on a coat, but so many kids here in Lakewood have the appaman puffers...
Even if they were on sale I probably wouldn't get them because it drives me crazy that everyone needs to get these coats. It's almost like an elite uniform.
My kids are still young though and don't have peer pressure yet.

I'm in Lakewood and I never even heard of those coats. Where do they sell them?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 9:40 am
Not to digress, but why can't op want to keep her kid in style without the bashing? She never said the coat should be paper thin and her kid should freeze! Just because you don't get being in style doesn't mean you should look down on someone who does!

water_bear88

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 9:45 am
On the grounds that 5 years out-of-date is not as dated looking as 20 years out-of-date, there's something to buying in-style for an item that will likely be passed down through a few kids. I'm generally in the more economical-over-style camp but I don't think OP's excessively shallow to be asking this.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 10:35 am
Why can't someone want to be in style? Seriously what is wrong with that?

Deep

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 10:41 am
http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse.....99003

The parka look is super stylish, especially in the green color in the above link. You can get it at 40 off today and it is a very versatile jacket.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 11:00 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Why can't someone want to be in style? Seriously what is wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with fashion but this thread is like asking which underwear is in style for your toilet training two yr old.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Nothing wrong with fashion but this thread is like asking which underwear is in style for your toilet training two yr old.

Ummm. Really it's not. But okay. Carry on.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:

Right, because underwear, a covered item, is totally the same as a coat, an item worn daily on top of clothing.

nechamashifra

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 1:57 pm
I never understand this question - "in" according to who? There are imamothers from all walks of life, with different fashion styles. Do you mean you want your daughter to blend in with her peers? Then the question should be "what coats are "in" in bnos melech school located between 40th and 42nd avenue.

More importantly, what coats do YOU like? what does your daughter like? or is that irrelevant?

dina22

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 4:47 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
I never understand this question - "in" according to who? There are imamothers from all walks of life, with different fashion styles. Do you mean you want your daughter to blend in with her peers? Then the question should be "what coats are "in" in bnos melech school located between 40th and 42nd avenue.

More importantly, what coats do YOU like? what does your daughter like? or is that irrelevant?

If you don't get the question, don't answer it. Don't make fun of the op, that's just not nice.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 5:13 pm
nechamashifra wrote:

I've come to understand that when people ask what is in fashion-wise on this site they are referring to Brooklyn Lakewood and monsey. It's funny because it's often completely not in fashion where I am.

spring13

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 8:25 pm
It's a legit question, but at the same time the concern is often overblown, and I feel kind of bad for people who think they need to ask here. How likely is it that a jacket from the Gap, or for that matter Burlington, is going to be so outdated or unfashionable looking that a kid will come home crying for a new one? People can trust themselves and their taste (and their kids'!) more than they think.

Take your DD shopping and see what's out there in your price range: it sounds like she already has some idea of what she wants, and now's the time to encourage her to learn to make choices based on fashion AND affordability AND practicality (is it warm, etc.). It could be she'll be interested in something that she's seen popular girls wearing, it could be she'll fall in love with something regardless of what other people think. But if she's invested in the choice, she's less likely to be disappointed with it later on, or to get hung up on how different from others she does or doesn't look.

ETA: OP, check out Land's End or Kohl's for affordable but cute and warm puffer type jackets. You can't really go wrong with that kind of thing.

moonstone

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 3:51 am
DrMom wrote:
All except my oldest will be wearing hand-me-downs in good condition.

How "in style" does a primary school kid need to be?

That's what I was wondering. I really can't imagine living in one of these communities where kids' coats have to make the grade. Seriously?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:16 pm
I opened this thread not because I'm super stylish ( I'm not) or because I need my kids to be in style (ha!) And I'm not trying to keep up with anyone or compete with anyone. I just don't want my daughter (first girl after a few boys) to stick out in school, as I, the daughter of immigrants, did.

If I could easily afford it, I would go to a nice store where I know I can't choose the wrong item and just buy it. But since I'm going to be shopping around (childrens place, target, s&d kids), I'd like to know what's in, so I can approximate it. Just so she won't stick out.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:24 pm
Of course you don't want your child to stick out. But relax, if you are buying from Target etc this year, how out of style can she be? I might not take a 10 year old hand me down, but if you are buying it now it can't be that bizarre looking if you are using your judgement. Bright pink, purple and orange stripes from Target- maybe those will make her stand out. But a nice neutral looking good coat? Go for warm and affordable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics