Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Yomim Noraim seat price
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:44 am
I'm curious to know how much a seat is in the shul you will be attending this Yom Kippur. Please specify if you're a member or non-member.

In my shul (northern NJ area) seats for rosh hashana and Yom Kippur are $100 each for Yom tov or $150 if you buy for both. So for me and my husband (no kids) to go to shul it is $300.

I think this is absurd. I know that Shuls have tremendous expenses and this is when they make their money, but I do not think it is fair. We are both students living month to month. We do not have a spare $300 to buy a seat in shul. I'm quite sad that this Yom Kippur I will be davening at home because shul is too expensive for me.

I think that somewhere along the lines Shuls have become too political and we have lost some of the "come one come all" spirit a shul should have.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

shluchamom

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:50 am
Before deciding to stay home and be sad maybe talk to them and see if they have a discounted unpublished price for people in your situation or if you can pay it off slowly.

We run a shul and only ask suggested price $50 a seat including rh and yk. But we always clearly write noone is turned away due to lack of funds and I know we would be horrified to hear of someone who didn't come to shul because they couldn't pay. Please talk to someone or seek out chabad in your area.

Have a good yom tov and an easy fast

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:57 am
Non-member, was $150 per person for both, in Israel.

This year I tried out a new shul and it was 400 shekel a couple.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:16 am
DH pays membership to our shul ($360 year, note we don't have any sons yet, if we did there would be a cost for them as well for seats) so there is no additional cost for his seat. He has a reserved seat year round.

Since we are members, seats for myself and the girls are $50 each. Non-members would be $100 each. We reserved 3 seats at $150 for the season. We didn't reserve a seat for our youngest as she doesn't sit much. When she does, she doubles up with us and we manage.

I just want to point out that there are many people who live month to month, ourselves included - it's not easy to come up with the extra $$$. However, for some shuls, how should they pay the shul expenses if people don't contribute?

I do think you should speak to them and see if you can negotiate an amount that is somewhat more affordable to you.

Also, in our shul there are people who come who don't have reserved seats. They might sit in an empty seat and leave if the "owner" arrives, and there are sometimes folding chairs that can be opened and squeezed into an empty spot....

cm

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:21 am
In my area (in the US) shul membership includes two seats for the high holidays.

Are there any outreach groups or Chabad houses in your area? Both may offer much more accessible services.

Also, some synagogues offer seats for students. Ask before assuming that you must pay the full published price.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:22 am
There were years that we were not able to afford to pay for seats. We told the shut that and they waived the cost or gave us a reduced rate. Is there only one shul in your area?

I do agree with what you said. Maybe there should be more of a suggested price with those who can afford to pay more doing so. But do try talking to your shul about wanting a seat and not being able to pay for it, I'd really hope they'd accommodate.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:27 am
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will try to see if I can get a discounted rate. It makes me very uncomfortable to ask but I guess I should.

Chayelle, I completely agree and understand that Shuls need to support themselves and rely on member fees and whatnot. However, there has to be some middle ground. $150 per person is a LOT. $75 per person, more reasonable. But I do hear both sides of the conversation.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:41 am
If it's your only opportunity to give money to your shul, perhaps spreading out the payment may also be a good alternative. This way you can feel better about supporting the shul and it will be an easier amount to manage.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:11 am
That's crazy. People by me don't pay unless they care to sit on the front row(s) and have their name on a little paper...

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:21 am
We pay $500 per year for membership (discounted) and YT seats are $125 for each member, and $150 per guest. They will allow you to talk to the Rabbi to ask for a discount if you need one.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:30 am
$300, for all 3 days per couple, In otherwards $50 per person per day.
We try to sell it as a package. This is the price for paid members. Non members pay more, not sure how much. Membership is $500 yell for the entire family. If you want a seat for a child it's $50 extra each seat

This entitles you to a seat with your name, a set seat.
You are more than welcomed to come without purchasing a seat.
We have about 25 seats available in each section.

You can sit wherever you want, but if there's a name on a seat you will most probably be asked to move if the person shows.

A lot of the ppl that come, only come for RH and YK. Many come only the 1st day, and Neilah, especially by the women.

If there is a person that comes weekly and can't afford it we offer them a free seat with their name. The office usually knows who they are and offers it to them when they call. Some ppl that we know that are EMBARRASED to call, the office calls them and asks them to pick out a seat.

It's counted as a donation to the shul.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:34 am
600 membership. No extra payment for seats this year.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:43 am
$1200 membership includes 2 seats. Student seats for yomim noraim are $125 each. There are always unsold seats, so some students use those.
This is OOT, not in a fancy area. Rabbi's salary, utilities, building upkeep, etc all add up.

The money is tax deductible and I consider it part of maaser.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:19 pm
Are there other options that don't cost that? Here, most of the "real" shuls have prices around what you said, one that I know of is lower (50?) and one higher, the others I don't remember but 100 each sounds about right. BUT nobody is going to be left without a shul because of that. There are some smaller shtiebels where it's more of a "suggested donation" and at least one probably more kiruv-type minyanim that are free. So anyone who has a hard time paying will be just fine, they just won't necessarily have their choice.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:27 pm
seats are free for members...which is $2000/family.
But that price is definitely negotiable. I don't think anyone would be turned away.
For this reason I consider this maaser. I'm not paying for my seat, but contributing to my shul voluntarily...the week before I use my seat. Oh well.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:28 pm
My shul has a membership ($360 and up) which comes with two seats and then a separate seat price ($75). I pay the seat price and babysitting fee. I have been going a bit more often as my older DS really enjoys the program for boys his age so I will probably will make a larger donation later on once we are past some bigger expenses from school starting and yomtov season.

DH likes the local community kollel minyan which is a suggested donation of what ever you wish. Their income is generated through fundraising not dues.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm curious to know how much a seat is in the shul you will be attending this Yom Kippur. Please specify if you're a member or non-member.

In my shul (northern NJ area) seats for rosh hashana and Yom Kippur are $100 each for Yom tov or $150 if you buy for both. So for me and my husband (no kids) to go to shul it is $300.

I think this is absurd. I know that Shuls have tremendous expenses and this is when they make their money, but I do not think it is fair. We are both students living month to month. We do not have a spare $300 to buy a seat in shul. I'm quite sad that this Yom Kippur I will be davening at home because shul is too expensive for me.

I think that somewhere along the lines Shuls have become too political and we have lost some of the "come one come all" spirit a shul should have.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

What is so sad about davening at home? That's what I do every year, in order to make it through the fast. I don't have to worry if I need to sit down while davening or figure out what to wear and have all the distractions of shul and the crowd. Am I the only one?

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:34 pm
It is not crazy for your shul to charge that much ( believe me shuls have so many expenses) and if you can't afford to pay it then just tell them and I'm sure they will work something out. Many people don't pay full membership- nothing to be embarrassed of. In the future, bring it up earlier in the year since the office staff prefers to work these things out not last minute , but for this year, just call today and tell them what you can afford to pay for a seat.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:35 pm
Most shuls will work with you on price. Our shul doesn't turn people away for not being able to pay. The last few years I've chosen not to purchase a seat because it's expensive and I still have young kids. I go on for Yizkor and not much else.

Our shul is $130/member before a certain date and then the price goes up. The money they earn from selling seats pays for a huge chunk of operating costs. Membership dues in my shul cover approximately 1/3 of the operating budget and they need to fundraise the rest.

There are other options in my town for free or cheaper.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:36 pm
There's nothing so bad about davening at home if you are uncomfortable in shul. But for someone who is able to daven in shul and appreciates the benefits of shul participation, it would be very sad if money alone prevents them from doing so. But I really can't imagine a Jewish community anywhere that would bar someone from services because of payment hardship. Maybe their choices will be limited but I can't imagine there's such a thing as a whole community where a Jew can't daven in a shul on Yom Kippur. Doesn't happen.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur