Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
HELP I NEED Sukkos recipes for a crowd
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 10:38 am
I am exhausted.

And I work full time.

And I invited lots of people for Sukkos meals.

Can you please help me out by posting your favorite easy to make dishes for yom to that require minimal thought to prepare.

I need chicken dishes, ground beef dishes and side dishes.
We are fans of quinoa, veggies and delicious food.

PLEASE help!!!!

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 10:50 am
honey mustard chicken from spice and spirit
40 clove garlic chicken - sprinkle paprika, balsamic vinegar and black pepper on chicken and lots of unpeeled garlic cloves. bake uncovered. When cooked mix the roasted garlic with some of the chicken juice and pour over the chicken.
mix 2 cups uncle bens rice, 4 cups water and soy sauce, soup mix and olive oil. Bake for about and hour on 350.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:04 am
YOU are AWESOME!!!!
Please tell your friends to SHARE more recipes like that so I can sleep tonight
:-)

Thanks Raisin!!!!!
:-)

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:06 am
I like the moussaka from KBD Entertains. It makes a 9inch square pan I usually double and freeze one but you could double and make a 9x13.

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:09 am
I love hot soups and stews for cold nights. For those who work, they are especially good because you can throw them in the crock pot before work, and then just make sides.

Chili with rice
Beef bourgignon with kasha varnishkes
Smoked turkey one night, then Cajun pulled smoked turkey with red beans the next.
Brisket for one lunch, then split pea soup with rice noodles, topped with a slice of brisket the next.

Many spreads and sides freeze well. Roasted veggies are a snap, and are delicious. Salads can be thrown together quickly. I might make rice and freeze it, have on hand the ingredients for sushi salad, and put it together before shul. DH likes a baked zucchini creole that freezes well. Soups freeze well.

You can ask your guests if they have something they would like to bring, too.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:35 am
only super easy quick thing with chopped meat is chili, italian style meat sauce etc. You could do meatballs but they are a bit more work... Or unstuffed cabbage but I've never made that. Lasagna also.

Other easy sides:

orzo cook and mix withe sauteed veggies (pepper mushrooms etc)
roast baby potatoes - season and roast
soups made with bags of frozen veggies

Buy lots of salad ingredients which can be made on yom tov. (veggies, canned corn, etc)

You can also get up early on yom tov and cook. I left a flame on on rh and made brisket, schnitzle and rice. It was so nice to have fresh food. I made persian rice which was a HUGE hit. I actually froze the leftovers and served on friday night and we had an iranian guest who was raving about it.

markmywords

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:58 am
I recommend investing in the tiny mini potatoes (the ones they sell in the net bags, if you live in the US).
It eliminates a ton of work when time is of the essence.
Buy mini red ones and white ones and boil them in advance (no peeling needed, just wash well).
Then you'll have them ready for multiple dishes: roasted with olive oil, rosemary and salt/ or onion garlic (fresh or powdered), potato salad (quick and easy is mayo, vinegar, onions and salt), or you can add them sliced in half to the gravy in a meat dish like brisket and let it stew. It tastes amazing.

If you like quinoa, make a batch in advance and then you can make multiple dishes with it.
You can go saltier with fried onions and diced peppers (I've seen it served with corn and black beans as well), or you can go sweet with craisins, cilantro and nuts.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 12:03 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I am exhausted.

And I work full time.

And I invited lots of people for Sukkos meals.

Can you please help me out by posting your favorite easy to make dishes for yom to that require minimal thought to prepare.

I need chicken dishes, ground beef dishes and side dishes.
We are fans of quinoa, veggies and delicious food.

PLEASE help!!!!

Quinoa
Bake it in the oven instead of cooking it in a pot.
Place 1 cup quinoa in a casserole dish. Add 2 cups boiling water. Cover with foil and bake in oven preheated to 375 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Transfer to container and refrigerate until ready to use. Assemble with fresh veggies and dressing on Yom Tov before meal.
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....alad/
Bake as much quinoa as necessary for your crowd and assemble larger salad with veggies and dressing.

Roasted Veggies
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....30571

Garlicky Green Beans
1 pound green beans, trimmed, rinsed and dried
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves
kosher salt
sesame seeds

Toss green beans with oil. Arrange on cookie sheet in one layer. Roast in oven preheated to 400 for 8 minutes. Toss crushed garlic and salt to taste. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
This is good a day or two later. Just leave on counter a few hours before meal to bring the greens to room temperature before serving.
You will need a separate cookie sheet for each pound or pound and a half of green beans.

Meatloaf
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

Chicken
Simple and reheats well
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....78129

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Oct 10 2016, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 12:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Quinoa
Bake it in the oven instead of cooking it in a pot.
Place 1 cup quinoa in a casserole dish. Add 2 cups boiling water. Cover with foil and bake in oven preheated to 375 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Transfer to container and refrigerate until ready to use. Assemble with fresh veggies and dressing on Yom Tov before meal.
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....alad/
Bake as much quinoa as necessary for your crowd and assemble larger salad with veggies and dressing.

Roasted Veggies
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....30571

Garlicky Green Beans
1 pound green beans, trimmed, rinsed and dried
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves
kosher salt
sesame seeds

Toss green beans with oil. Arrange on cookie sheet in one layer. Roast in oven preheated to 400 for minutes. Toss with salt to taste. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
This is good a day or two later. Just leave on counter a few hours before meal to bring the greens to room temperature before serving.
You will need a separate cookie sheet for each pound or pound and a half of green beans.

Meatloaf
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

Chicken
Simple and reheats well
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....78129

Love your recipes, ra_mom.
How many minutes to roast the green beans? The last time I made them, they came out of oven all wrinkled. That's why I posted amother embarrassed

markmywords

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 12:17 pm
ra_mom,

The green bean recipe sounds great.
When do you put the fresh garlic in? Should they be left whole, minced or chopped?
Also, how many minutes should the beans be left in the oven?

Thanks

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 12:17 pm
Do you want a dairy or pareve meal or all meat?

Here are ideas:

Mexican fiesta- sautéed beef with taco spices, taco shells, corn salad or Spanish rice, salsa, chips and gaucamole, marinated red onions, sautéed onion and pepper

Pineapple chicken breast slices, white rice or roasted sweet potato halves, roasted snow peas and red cabbage salad.

Quinoa chili with cheese, Greek salad, roasted butternut squash with red onion and curry powder, crustless spinach quiche

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 2:30 pm
Sorry I see I skipped some words in my original post! I will go back and edit.
Roast the green beans for just 8 minutes. They stay bright green and crunchy.
After they are roasted, while still hot, toss them with fresh crushed garlic and kosher salt to taste.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 8:39 pm
These are looking good anyone else with RECIPES????

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 9:09 pm
Shallot chicken (can use red onion instead of shallot)

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/r.....ed-s/

(corn casserole)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recip.....erole

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 12:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
Sorry I see I skipped some words in my original post! I will go back and edit.
Roast the green beans for just 8 minutes. They stay bright green and crunchy.
After they are roasted, while still hot, toss them with fresh crushed garlic and kosher salt to taste.

Thank you, ra_mom!

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 1:25 am
loving all the suggestions... keep them coming... cmon Australia and Israel LOL

cbg

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 7:47 am
I haven't made this in quite a while so I don't have an exact recipe.

Meat Roulade.
Your favorite meatloaf recipe.
Pastrami thinly sliced
Frozen Spinach defrosted
Egg
Salt and pepper.

On a piece of foil or parchment paper pat down in a layer your meat mixture.
Then place the pastrami on top sigh toy overlapping to cover meat
Take your defrosted spinach and squeeze all the moisture out.
To the spinach add egg salt and pepper.
Spread the spinach mixture on top of the pastrami
Roll like a jelly roll using the foil to help you.
Bake at 400 for 30 min.
Let it cool in the fridge at least 8 hrs.
Slice. At this point you can freeze.

Heat and serve.

You can serve this with a mushroom sauce
Fresh mushrooms sliced
Onions sliced
Chicken stock
Corn starch

Sautée onions, then add mushrooms. When the mushrooms started to sweat, add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
In a small bowl mix corn starch with a little water.
Add to the boiling sauce and mix until it is thickened, a few minutes.

If you don't like to use corn starch, you can thicken with a rux as well

Serve on a plater over broad noodles, then the sauce, then the roulade on top. And a little bit more sauce.

Chicken and rice can be made on YT day everyone loves this.
For 8 ppl. If you need to double it use a different pan.

In a disposable pan (the 1 that is one size bigger than 9x13
2 cups of rice
4 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
2Tbsp of tomato paste mixed into the water well
Add one bag of frozen veggies

Then take 8-10 chicken pieces. Wash well.
Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry spice if you have, and paprika.
Lay the chicken on top.

Foil very, very tightly. Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 2 hrs.
After 2 hrs. Check if water was completely absorbed. If not cover and leave for another 1/2 hr.

When you are ready to serve. Take the foil off and bake until chicken gets a little color about 10 min.

cbg

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:26 am
Couscous is so easy.
You don't even have took cook it.
Served with the shallot chicken above, yum.

Literally dump the couscous in any container. Take hot water and season well, I like to add a lot of dried parsley. To the water add a splash of olive oil. Dump it on top. Cover the container and let it sit out
That's it.

Serve with frozen peas, seasoned with salt pepper and a little oi to coat. Put it in the oven until it just heated throug. DO NOT OVERCOOK. You can mix in some of the onions from the chicken and a can of button mushrooms if you want to be fancy.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:59 am
Super easy ground chicken and pastrami roll

Mix ground chicken with mayo and cornflake crumbs and some garlic spice.

Spread out on parchment paper and place pastrami slices over it.

Smear a mixture of ketchup honey mustar d over pastrami

Roll up jelly roll style. Pour duck sauce over it. Cover with the parchment paper around the roll and bake for an hour

Comes out beautiful and can be cut and served right away.

skcomputer

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 9:33 am
imasinger wrote:
I love hot soups and stews for cold nights. For those who work, they are especially good because you can throw them in the crock pot before work, and then just make sides.

Chili with rice
Beef bourgignon with kasha varnishkes
Smoked turkey one night, then Cajun pulled smoked turkey with red beans the next.
Brisket for one lunch, then split pea soup with rice noodles, topped with a slice of brisket the next.

combining this good idea with one that was posted before Pesach - if you have the freezer space, on each day before yom tov, do one of these recipes in the crockpot and freeze. Or you even do one during the day and one overnight and keep the crockpot going around the clock!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen