Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What are the brightest from your high school class doing?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 1:59 am
I've given this a lot of thought at one point. I didn't take HS so seriously but there were some really smart and studious girls in my class. Today, five of the top are SAHM, one is an obstetrician, and the rest are in the struggling middle class, most of us with graduate degrees and good jobs. The brightest and most popular girl is today a mother of 8 and a pre school teacher (salary $21K+HUD+Food Stamps+WIC+free tuition+anything else there is to get) so at the end of the day I would venture to say that stress-wise she is the most successful.

wiki

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:10 am
The three valedictorians of my grade became a Harvard-trained physicist and two high school teachers (one of whom is currently pursuing a PhD on the side, while married with kids).

Of the not-valedictorians, we had a doctor, podiatrist, summer camp director, executive director of a large charity, successful fashion designer, political affairs scholar, and a senior manager one of the nation's largest tech companies.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:31 am
I was the brightest in my class with no effort (got 99% if I didn't bother opening a book, 100% if I read through the material once), I am now a Chabad Shlucha (and of course financially we're not living a rich life), but I think if I wasn't doing this, I'd be a caterer. I did develop terrible (non-existent) study habits, so whereas many others went for further education, I could never be bothered, and once I left schooling, and even more so, after having kids, my brain turned to mush and I would find it very difficult to sit and focus on a degree at this point.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:09 pm
wiki wrote:
The three valedictorians of my grade became a Harvard-trained physicist and two high school teachers (one of whom is currently pursuing a PhD on the side, while married with kids).

Of the not-valedictorians, we had a doctor, podiatrist, summer camp director, executive director of a large charity, successful fashion designer, political affairs scholar, and a senior manager one of the nation's largest tech companies.

Was this in a frum or public school ?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
I was the brightest in my class with no effort (got 99% if I didn't bother opening a book, 100% if I read through the material once), I am now a Chabad Shlucha (and of course financially we're not living a rich life), but I think if I wasn't doing this, I'd be a caterer. I did develop terrible (non-existent) study habits, so whereas many others went for further education, I could never be bothered, and once I left schooling, and even more so, after having kids, my brain turned to mush and I would find it very difficult to sit and focus on a degree at this point.

I went to a chabad school so most of the brightest members of my high school class are chabad shluchos. (including me)

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 8:51 pm
In our class the valedictorian became an author and journalist and the salutatorian became a psychologist and a Rebbetzin. Some of the other top girls became teachers, social workers, lawyers and medical researchers.

zelda

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 10:53 pm
Very interesting discussion.

I also went to a Chabad school/ seminary and some of my friends have become very successful in the Chabad world... Preschool directors, seminary teachers, authors, speakers. But they weren't necessarily the 'smartest'. Maybe the most driven and outgoing?
I have been noticing that quite a few friends of mine who were at the bottom of the class academically ... Some because of Adhd have become amazingly successful at life. Running businesses, a chef, shluchos.....
Personally I wasn't the smartest but did very well In school and I'm a preschool teacher. And loving it.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 12:51 pm
Valedictorians are speech therapist and pharmacist. Other top students did OT/PT/speech or special Ed. We have a psychologist, forensic scientist (pretty sure a bachelor's degree level, not master, but could be wrong), lawyer. In general, the more right wing top students went for the therapies or education degrees to be able to go through Touro or city college and be able to support a husband in kollel while the less sheltered academics went for a wider scope of specialties in a wider range of colleges. We all pretty much did a nice job pursuing higher education and securing jobs. Not sure about the non students of my year- I know this sounds super snobby, but I wasn't friendly with them so I really don't know what they are up to.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 2:16 pm
One became Neil sedaka, one Neil diamond, one Paul Anka,
Marv Alpert went there

I went to a really happening PS
At the time I was envious of those who went to BY
Now I look at all my neighbors and acquaintances and say BH Smile
Every day

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 2:32 pm
I was one of the brightest in my grade, and am now an RN (which I think anyone can do if they are motivated, which I am).
Come to think of it, as of now, I think I'm the only professional in my grade Confused
The brightest girl in my grade was a SAHM last I heard...go figure.

sequoia

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 2:37 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Marv Alpert went there

Neil Sedaka was your *classmate*?

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 5:14 pm
sequoia wrote:
Neil Sedaka was your *classmate*?

Neil Diamond was your *classmate*?

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 6:15 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Marv Alpert went there

At the time I was envious of those who went to BY
Now I look at all my neighbors and acquaintances and say BH Smile
Every day

Are you in your 70s?

gold21

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 8:27 pm
How does one determine that they are the smartest in their grade? Just wondered. Lol.

(Is there anyone that considers themselves dumb? I think most of us consider ourselves relatively intelligent.)

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 8:38 pm
gold21 wrote:
How does one determine that they are the smartest in their grade? Just wondered. Lol.

(Is there anyone that considers themselves dumb? I think most of us consider ourselves relatively intelligent.)

Well I think most people here are referring to academic success and people usually are aware of which students scored the highest on tests etc....

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 9:13 pm
off topic but my dd goes to a montessouri school and I think it's so great how she really doesn't know who is more advanced or behind her because everyone is just doing their own thing. Last year she went a regular school and yes she totally knew who were the smarter kids.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 9:21 pm
amother wrote:
In our class the valedictorian became an author and journalist and the salutatorian became a psychologist and a Rebbetzin. Some of the other top girls became teachers, social workers, lawyers and medical researchers.

Glad you said this because as a top student I think maybe I could have been more than a teacher .... but we know how challenging this prof is.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 10:20 pm
I just realized this now
He went to my school obviously not the same year
I am almost 60

gold21

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 10:31 pm
cnc wrote:
Well I think most people here are referring to academic success and people usually are aware of which students scored the highest on tests etc....

IQ and test scores don't always correlate.

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 15 2016, 11:11 pm
gold21 wrote:
IQ and test scores don't always correlate.

I agree, although it's pretty easy to guesstimate a person's IQ bracket once you know them.... (many say that the whole concept of IQ in numbers is flawed, but that's a whole separate discussion....)
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics