Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Anyone start toilet training at a young age?
1  2  Next

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:06 pm
Has anyone here gotten their child "familiar" with the toilet before the baby was actually able to climb up there themselves? I'm not talking about actual toilet training- more like putting them on at times you know they usually wet or poo in their diapers or such. If so- when did you start doing this? And do you think it was beneficial?

userfriendly

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:18 pm
It depends on what you mean by young age. All of my kids were trained by 2.5 but my youngest was trained before he was 2. He was so little that he couldn't pull his pants down himself and needed my help getting on/off the toilet, but I would take that any day over changing dirty diapers Wink

YHM

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 11:22 pm
userfriendly wrote:
It depends on what you mean by young age. All of my kids were trained by 2.5 but my youngest was trained before he was 2. He was so little that he couldn't pull his pants down himself and needed my help getting on/off the toilet, but I would take that any day over changing dirty diapers Wink

How did you train him at such a young age?

lucky14

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 10:36 pm
I was actually asking about under 12 months.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 10:54 pm
As an early childhood educator, there is no benefit to starting early. Actually can do the opposite effect, it is setting up the child to fail, daily. Setting a too high goal, and then having them not be able to reach it because it's too much, and then having them fail is detrimental to the child. Girls can maybe start at 2.5 and boys not until almost 3. And when it does happen, it should be exciting and quick for it to work.
Anon bc my spiel is well known

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 10:58 pm
All my kids were toilet trained between 21 months and 27 months, boys and girls included. This was when they were able to talk (somewhat) and pull down their pants (somewhat). It took no more than 2 days before they were telling me when they need to go. Depending on the kid, accidents were either zero or 2 daily but still mostly in the potty. Don't toilet train with a toilet.

lucky14

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
As an early childhood educator, there is no benefit to starting early. Actually can do the opposite effect, it is setting up the child to fail, daily. Setting a too high goal, and then having them not be able to reach it because it's too much, and then having them fail is detrimental to the child. Girls can maybe start at 2.5 and boys not until almost 3. And when it does happen, it should be exciting and quick for it to work.

I'm actually talking about just getting them familiar with the toilet, no expectations. Would this still be detrimental? and why?

userfriendly

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:17 pm
lucky14 wrote:

I can't imagine a child under 12 months understanding the concept at all. Why would you want to start so young?

Also I feel like this is one of those parenting things where you just have to know your child. I would never use a potty and only teach them on the toilet, but other mothers swear by the opposite. Even with asking advice just go with what your mother intuition is... You know your kids best! (And if I would have listened to others my youngest would still not be trained, even though he was so easy to train and was very ready)

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:

I'm of the belief and experience that the best time to train in 2.3-2.7 and waiting longer than that can be detrimental. And if it's not working by day 3, stop for 2 months and don't mention a word of it. Then start fresh.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:37 pm
amother wrote:
I'm of the belief and experience that the best time to train in 2.3-2.7 and waiting longer than that can be detrimental. And if it's not working by day 3, stop for 2 months and don't mention a word of it. Then start fresh.
Agreed. (PP here) They get used to the uchy feeling of poop and wetness and it doesn't bother them anymore.

lucky14

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:38 pm
userfriendly wrote:
I can't imagine a child under 12 months understanding the concept at all. Why would you want to start so young?

Also I feel like this is one of those parenting things where you just have to know your child. I would never use a potty and only teach them on the toilet, but other mothers swear by the opposite. Even with asking advice just go with what your mother intuition is... You know your kids best! (And if I would have listened to others my youngest would still not be trained, even though he was so easy to train and was very ready)

yeah I'm also not interested in teaching them on a potty, might as well go straight to the real thing (I also have no interest in washing one of those things out when you can just flush the stuff away in the real thing).

Anyway... there are lots of books and blogs now about getting your child familiar with the toilet starting at a very young age, that's what got me thinking/asking about it. Interested in hearing from someone who has tried it.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:44 pm
I started putting my second son on the potty from age 12 months. He didn't actual train until 2.10 years. Bh once he trained he never had accidents.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:47 pm
I familiarized them with toilet by sitting them on it like before going in the bath or something. Even a year in advance . A few times a week not more. Took the fear out of it. Toilet training boys before 30 months only with my first and certainly regretted it. Only closer to three. Then they are trained wothin a week or two. Girls were much easier.
A relative always trains at two and the kid still has leaks months later.
But some of my friends had their kids trained by or before two easily almost self trained. So depends on kids.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:48 pm
lucky14 wrote:

Is this your first/oldest child?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:55 pm
lucky14 wrote:
I'm actually talking about just getting them familiar with the toilet, no expectations. Would this still be detrimental? and why?

It's not helpful. Why bring something up that's not age appropriate? We don't speak about going away to yeshiva when they are 5, we don't give marriage tips when they're 13..
and kids are too smart, some will actually understand that they are meant to be using it, and get anxious that they are failing, without you bringing it up..

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:06 am
amother wrote:

and kids are too smart, some will actually understand that they are meant to be using it, and get anxious that they are failing, without you bringing it up..

hmm that's interested. Never thought about it like that.

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
Is this your first/oldest child?

haha yes. obvious huh? :-p

lucky14

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:08 am
amother wrote:
I familiarized them with toilet by sitting them on it like before going in the bath or something. Even a year in advance . A few times a week not more. Took the fear out of it. Toilet training boys before 30 months only with my first and certainly regretted it. Only closer to three. Then they are trained wothin a week or two. Girls were much easier.
A relative always trains at two and the kid still has leaks months later.
But some of my friends had their kids trained by or before two easily almost self trained. So depends on kids.

why are boys so much harder then girls? Did you familiarize your boys as well or only your girls? What you wrote about is kind of what I'm asking about... especially right before the bath. And for that reason- so it's not so strange and weird for them eventually.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:21 am
lucky14 wrote:
why are boys so much harder then girls? Did you familiarize your boys as well or only your girls? What you wrote about is kind of what I'm asking about... especially right before the bath. And for that reason- so it's not so strange and weird for them eventually.

Boys need to learn eventually to stand as they urinate and sit to deficate. So it makes it harder. Nothing wrong with allowing them to flush the toilet for fun or to sit for fun, they just shouldn't ever get the impression that you're 'teaching them'. Like teaching letters and numbers at this age, it's done through exposure, not through frontal teaching- 'this is one, this is gimmel'..

Being that it's your first, focus on spending fun time together without focusing on goals.. they are only babies once Wink soon enough it will be time to train, teach, and educate. Right now, just enjoy spending time and bonding.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:21 am
amother wrote:
It's not helpful. Why bring something up that's not age appropriate? We don't speak about going away to yeshiva when they are 5, we don't give marriage tips when they're 13..

It can be very helpful. It was very helpful with my second son, and I am thinking of trying it now with my baby. Was actually just thinking of buying him a potty a few days ago.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics