Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What food to bring to shul for kids

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:24 am
This is the first year my kids are old enough to go to the kids' group in shul so I can daven. There's no eiruv so I need to bring our things over soon. I don't know if I have access to a fridge so I'm going to operate as if not. The things I usually give my kids mostly need refrigeration (yogurt, applesauce - I ran out of the individual prepacked ones, cheese, etc). Will cut up veggies get slimy and moldy if left unrefrigerated?

So far my plan includes sun-butter sandwiches (nut free family and facility), allergy-friendly granola bars (a very rare treat indeed but I don't have time to bake anything), cut up apples, cut up veggies (hoping they don't get yucky with no fridge. Cucumbers and peppers, what do you think?), water bottles and maybe also juice boxes.

It could be a very long day depending how long I personally last. It's not that close to home and I'm not a very energetic faster, so we won't be going back and forth - however long both the kids and I last, that's how much we get.

What else do you suggest? I keep thinking yogurt or cheese and reminding myself no fridge. Sigh.

mom2be1

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:32 am
What about a cooler bag with dry ice? For the vegetables and fruit can you bring a knife and sandwich bags? Cut them fresh and give it out tomm

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:32 am
Do you have a cooler bag and ice packs? It will keep things cool enough overnight that you should be fine. Otherwise I would skip the cucumbers if they're already cut up. You could bring them whole with a knife, but that's annoying. How about baby carrots?

Apple slices will get very brown overnight unless they're vacuum packed. Will your kids still eat them? You would do better with bananas or oranges or other whole fruits.

Can you bring non perishable snacks like chips or popcorn?

cm

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:37 am
Include several solidly frozen ice packs and use an insulated container if you have one. Do you have time to run to the store for applesauce cups? Shelf-stable pudding cups exist, but my family doesn't care for them.

Is there anyone you can call (program coordinator, experienced parents of older children) about whether or not there is a fridge, and what people usually send? Would your children be able to carry their own lunch in the morning?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:42 am
I have insulated bags and ice packs but when I send an insulated lunch bag with ice pack to school it's only chilly when it comes home about 7 hours later. So I'm not confident about that helping overnight.

I've had apples turn only a little brown and it was OK. They've been forgotten in backpacks and eaten the next day.

We've got the chips and popcorn down, I'm more on the food case now.

We can't carry, no eiruv.

I guess I should just run out to the store and look for smaller apples and bananas. I was hoping to not have to shop today but what canya do. WHYYYY do I never think of these things in advance?!

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 11:52 am
How old are your children? If they are very young they may be allowed to carry for their own use.

We were once traveling and messed up when booking a hotel we thought would be within the eruv. We had a child in diapers at the time and our rav told us she could carry the things she would need. So I packed a very light bag for her to wear with the absolute minimum she needed such as a couple of diapers, tissues, a snack and a drink.

It might be worth asking a shaila.

cbg

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 12:07 pm
I haven't tried this, but what would happen if you freeze the applesauce, yogurt, etc.
In an insulated lunch box that would last.

Juice boxes,

animeme

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 12:16 pm
My kids just ate crackers/animal crackers and chips and popcorn all day (4 hours or so). Maybe some grapes. Water bottles and juice boxes. They can have the real food the rest of the day.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 12:25 pm
Animeme you made me feel better. I was planning on giving a big breakfast before shul and a good lunch when the kids wanted to go home and not stressing about the in between. I figure some nosh that the shul gives out wont kill anyone a few times a year.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 12:51 pm
Thanks all Smile I've never done this before so it's hard to predict what they'll need. On RH I gave them a late breakfast right before we left and brought a few rice cakes, a yogurt apiece, and they gave out pretzels and juice and the kids were still kvetchy after. That was from about 11 to 2:30. Come to think of it that's not even so long, must have just been the kvetch culture. But I'm hoping to stay longer on YK because I don't have any reason to go back if the kids are occupied. At home I'd have no tzibur and the kids would just have each other to pick on and only me to entertain them. They can entertain themselves fairly nicely but usually not when I'm actually counting on it! Especially on yomtov when they can't sit with a pile of coloring books which they like.

Marion

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 1:11 pm
NOTHING. I know it's after the fact now, but I am a firm believer in not feeding kids in shul. Not on Shabbat, not on Yom Kippur. Their needs take priority over your davening, and frankly, it's not fair to anyone else fasting to have to listen to your kids rustling their food or smelling it. You can't possibly account for all possible airborne allergens (says the woman who almost passes out every year from the open bags of Bamba). If you have a kids' program so you can go daven, great. When it's lunchtime, take them home.

Shuly

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 5:53 pm
She can feed the kids in a different room.

cm

Post Wed, Oct 12 2016, 11:40 pm
In our shul, the children are served their own lunches (brought from home) by the people supervising the children's group in another part of the shul building on YK. Food is never served in the room where people are davening.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 1:32 am
Big fan of the no food in shul rule. Even the shul's food like at my Shuls Simchas Torah candy party for the kids. Sticky mess. Especially noisy and smelly food!

My Shuls groups give snack in another room where they play or the backyard. Home packed lunches are given there too.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 7:59 am
Nothing that is a patchke (just weird) or smelly. PLEASE nothing smelly. Please people are fasting. I wouldn't think of bringing full meals with ice packs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur