Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do your kids have school this Friday?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

hotmom

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:14 am
Boys yes,
Girls no,
however I work in a different school and girls DO have school this Friday.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:47 am
For whatever reason it bothers me less on a Friday since the day is always shorter anyway. Last year we had 3 school days between YK and Sukkos off and it was a huge pain.

Bernie

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:57 am
Boys division yes til 12, and girls division no. In the same school. This makes absolutely no sense.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 11:57 am
My elementary school kids have school.

workermom

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 1:14 pm
Coming from the perspective as a teacher - I think that it is so helpful to have these days off. I have students who travel for YT. It would be a mess to teach to half the class only to have the rest come back and I need to reteach it.

sky

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 1:29 pm
Boys - yes
Girls - no

lfab

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 1:34 pm
workermom wrote:
Coming from the perspective as a teacher - I think that it is so helpful to have these days off. I have students who travel for YT. It would be a mess to teach to half the class only to have the rest come back and I need to reteach it.

Seriously? that's not a very good reason for a school to give off. Use the day to do a succos project or teach about the chag, etc. Don't do anything "real", so to speak, that would need to be retaught. Friday is a short day anyway in most schools so not a whole lot of time to fill up.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:17 pm
DD has school on Friday, but she tells me that none of her friends are going, so she begged me to let her stay at home. Friday is a super short day, and they get out at 11:30 anyway, so I don't see the harm in giving her an extra day, especially if hardly anyone will be there.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:47 pm
My sisters don't, school I work in does, and my dc does, too, but dc is in playgroup, so that doesn't really count.

chagru

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:09 pm
My kids don't have school today or tomorrow, and only start Monday after succos, which is beyond crazy from all accounts

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:13 pm
Bernie wrote:
Boys division yes til 12, and girls division no. In the same school. This makes absolutely no sense.

Can't have bitul Torah.

slhr

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:14 pm
girls yes boys no,I don't really mind Cuz the boys are always in school

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:37 pm
Boys preschool, no school Friday.

sunshine5

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:41 pm
Girls and boys both off Tomorrow. I really dont mind. Kids r really excited to be part of yt preps.

Miri7

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:41 pm
Yes we are in school, boys and girls middle/elementary and preschool. The travelling times are hard this year, as both Friday and Sunday are erev Shabbat/Yom tov. We never fly to family on those days for fear of getting stuck, so we are staying home this year. We could have taken everyone out of school today, but that just seemed like far too much.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 4:06 pm
workermom wrote:

And what about all the working parents? We can't just take off. Especially with all the other random days off throughout the year.
Make it a review day so nothing new is learned. Do a project or teach something extra that isn't tested on. We pay tuition and it is annoying to have to pay for babysitting too!

Marion

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 4:12 pm
Yes!!!!!

hello3

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 8:10 pm
No school here. But for those who think it makes no sense- teachers also need to make yo"t yano'. And no, having school and by that babysitting other people's kids on such a stressful day isn't part of the teachers job. Glad our school had that common sense.

P.s I'm not a teacher

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 8:16 pm
Out of town Chabad frum school, regular Friday until 2:30! For girls and boys up to 8th grades. I think High schools have closed already as many out of towners who need to go home.
I teach, so habe a full day tomorrow but this is the way it is and we adjust our lives.

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 9:15 pm
I am a teacher and it is frustrating that some parents leave for the entire month and think that we will hold off on teaching any new material while they are cavorting around in Israel.

By the time they come back we will have finished:

1 out of 4 math workbooks.
The 1st unit of our reading program
60 pages of word study
1st unit of our writing program
10 easy readers
We will have finished introducing all lower case and upper case letters, sounds and printing.
Introduced 15 sight words.

For those of you that think teaching 5 and 6 year olds is like babysitting... NOT in my classroom.

When you pay tuition you WILL receive an education in our classroom. :-)

Incidentally I DID send all the work home with the vacationing children... hopefully the parents took me seriously and have carved out 30 minutes a day for drill and practice.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics