Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Are you crossing party lines?
1  2  Next

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:32 pm
For U.S. citizens only, registered Democrat or Republican only....

Are you voting outside your party this election?

So many Democrats months ago who said they could see themselves voting for Trump, especially if Sanders lost the nomination, have gone back to their own side and are voting for Clinton. Likewise, Republicans I know who said "never Trump" and would vote for Clinton just to punish the Republican party for putting Trump on the ticket are now holding their noses and voting for Trump in the end.

I wonder... all this campaigning, all these ads, all the mud-slinging, all the debates, all the money spent.... does it even matter in the end? Don't 99%+ of Democrats support their candidate in the end, and 99%+ of Republicans in the support theirs? Seems like an awful lot of money wasted on some very bad entertainment.

So I'm really curious if anyone is voting outside their party. Other than a few people I can count on one hand who are voting 3rd party, everyone else I know is sticking with their own side (even if it means holding their nose at the polls).

Thoughts?

pause

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:39 pm
I'm a registered Republican. Will not vote for Trump. I'd vote for a Democrat but not Hillary.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:41 pm
pause wrote:
I'm a registered Republican. Will not vote for Trump. I'd vote for a Democrat but not Hillary.

Sooo.... staying home? Voting 3rd party?

Jeanette

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:43 pm
I've always voted republican. I'm voting for Hillary this election. It would be too much of a risk to vote third party or not vote at all.

I am voting republican for senate. Not sure yet about other races. I will not vote for any republican who's a full-throated trump apologist.

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:43 pm
I'm registered independent.

I think our current party system is broken.

cnc

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:48 pm
I am a registered Republican. I'm not so good about voting,but I don't necessarily vote for my party...

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:48 pm
imasinger wrote:

Well, as I no longer feel represented by either major party and don't see any 3rd party as having any chance at all - I'd tend to agree.

But my question was more about whether people in the end feel an allegiance to their party (even if like me, they don't feel they identify with it so closely but at least it's closer to their ideology than the other) and also if the whole campaign is really just a huge waste of time and resources in the end since people tend to be loyal to their party and minds are rarely changed.

SingALong

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:50 pm
I'm a registered republican and I've always voted republican. However I'm still not sure who to vote for. I may just pick either name out of a hat the morning of Election Day and go with that. I think it's important to go vote, that's why I'm going. But I'm not happy with either candidate. And I don't want to vote Gary Johnson either.

sourstix

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 1:40 pm
im registered republican and I am voting hillary. I just cant see trump going through, not because I like clinton. because I must vote and this is all I got.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:33 pm
imasinger wrote:

Dh has a degree in political science, international relations.hes been saying for years it's a bad system. Apparently it's common knowledge among those who study politics.
A two party system cannot be a true democracy.

Germany is a a good example, it was set up after WWII by governments who knew their own shortcomings. (In a nutshell)

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:52 pm
Neither party represents me and my views accurately. As a middle-class millennial, the Republicans are too conservative socially, and the Democrats are too liberal, they tend to focus on the poor and underprivileged at the expense of the middle class.

We need a new party representing younger voters. Not like I'm so young. But I mean millennials of all ages.

sarahleah88

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:53 pm
I'm a registered Republican voting for Hillary!

happy12

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 4:19 pm
At ths point I think I want to vote for Mickey Mouse. I think his better than these two.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 4:35 pm
Republican.
Staying home.

treestump

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 4:45 pm
gold21 wrote:

We need a new party representing younger voters. Not like I'm so young. But I mean millennials of all ages.

I'm with you on this one. And I'm waiting for a centrist party... I thought that might happen after last election, but alas, this bizarre election happened instead.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:35 pm
I have never voted a straight ticket. but vote for the candidate I think will do a less bad job. Can't remember the last time I voted FOR anyone I really wanted; usually it's a vote for the lesser of two evils.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:51 pm
zaq wrote:
I have never voted a straight ticket. but vote for the candidate I think will do a less bad job. Can't remember the last time I voted FOR anyone I really wanted; usually it's a vote for the lesser of two evils.

You're with the majority of Americans. A political commentator I saw on CNN months ago said that most people vote "against" rather than "for."

I saw a photo with a man holding a poster that read,
"[] Democrat
[] Republican
[X] P'd off"

I also agree with gold21, that I also don't think either candidate represents me.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:52 pm
Republican and voting Republican.

I can't think of of an election when I disliked both major candidates so much.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:54 pm
happy12 wrote:
At ths point I think I want to vote for Mickey Mouse. I think his better than these two.

I've done that in the past. I'm thinking of changing to pippi longstocking this time.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 7:00 pm
I'm one of those who months ago said I wouldn't vote for Trump, and am at this point 98% sure I'll hold my nose and do it. Sigh. I agree with everything said above about the two-party system, and I definitely think this is an election where the majority of voters are voting against someone, rather than for someone.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics