Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What did you eat to prepare for the fast?

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:41 pm
My dh must drink 30 cups of water in the hours leading up to the fast. He believes it will help him thru the fast. I think once a person has 5 or 6 cups, it doesn't really help to drink more, kinda like continuing to charge a cell phone when it's already 100%. Dh also stuffs every last morsal of food he possibly can whereas I eat till I'm full. I think he's doing it wrong but I have to admit he fasts much better than I do. I'd like to here the correctway to prepare for a fast.

doctorima

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:43 pm
I don't think there is a "correct" way to prepare to fast. Everybody's body works differently, so hopefully through trial and error, you figure out what works best for you.

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:45 pm
I think different bodies do better with different things.

General advice is to hydrate, have protein and have high fiber/complex carbs.

I made whole wheat rolls, very thick pea soup, and meatballs (for grinders with the rolls). We had salad, fresh veggies, and asparagus.

It was one of the easier fasts for me. I may repeat that meal next erev YK.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:46 pm
I had chicken soup with chicken and carrots, sweet dumpling squash, pear sauce, and water.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:51 pm
I had french toast, cookies and potato kugel. And water, about 5-6 cups.

I had planned to have vegetable soup, capons, and some meat... but didn't have enough time.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:52 pm
Different things work for different people. Everyone swears by the method that works for them, but some of the effect must be psychological.

Personally I find drinking a large Powerade before and after the fast helps me fast better and recover quicker.

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 2:54 pm
No matter what I do, I am very hungry and thirsty by noon. It is a fast day

ariellabella

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:17 pm
This year I drank a couple Powerades on Tuesday throughout the day and stayed away from my usual seltzer. I fasted much better this time than usual. I also did not stuff myself, but I did eat small things throughout the day leading up to the fast. My DH is also a "stuffer".

cm

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:25 pm
Lower sodium the day before to avoid excess thirst. Plenty of fluids but no excess of anything. Best not to start with a stomachache.

Learning

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 3:31 pm
My rabbi told my friend when she was at her last trimester that Oj is much better to drink before a fast than water. Because it holds you dehydrated better.
I ate Challa and chicken with chicken soup and vegetables and Oj before the fast. I felt awful during the fast. A huge headache. As soon as I broke the fast and drank coffee ate some yogurt with fruit, a little bit nuts and rice cakes. Than I felt all better. Today I feel just fine.

amother
White

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 4:04 pm
30 cups of water? Does that mean 30 8 oz glasses? That's a tremendous amount of water to drink in a day.

We had bread, salmon and a green salad followed by a small bowl of chicken soup for lunch. For dinner everyone just wanted lots and lots of soup with kreplach.

As usual I panicked minutes before the fast started and stuffed in extra food and several extra cups of water and went into the fast feeling like my stomach would rupture.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:13 pm
I had a few Vitamin Waters and my fast was one of the better ones, despite being 9 months pregnant.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
My dh must drink 30 cups of water in the hours leading up to the fast. He believes it will help him thru the fast. I think once a person has 5 or 6 cups, it doesn't really help to drink more, kinda like continuing to charge a cell phone when it's already 100%. Dh also stuffs every last morsal of food he possibly can whereas I eat till I'm full. I think he's doing it wrong but I have to admit he fasts much better than I do. I'd like to here the correctway to prepare for a fast.

You know, what your DH does sounds quite dangerous. Overhydration can be toxic.

I hope he also takes a lot of sodium to counteract the water he's overdosing his body with...

gp2.0

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:38 pm
I ate normally and fasted well. I ate high sodium food and didn't drink more than usual and wasn't thirsty at all. I had a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast, chicken and pasta for lunch and beef jerky and candy for dinner. (The candy was because I always crave candy when I fast lol.) I normally fast well but this fast seemed even better than usual. I didn't get a headache until like 6:30/7, usually they hit me around 4 p.m.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:41 pm
Soup with kreplach, chicken, kasha with bow ties and honeyed carrots.

I ate a lot of the kasha.

I drank extra water throughout the day but I think I peed out most of it before the fast started.

I am in my 8th month and I was worried about finishing the fast but I did ok and even felt up to going to shul for neilah.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:58 pm
I took time release Advil and caffeine.
I know 3 others that did also.
One suffers from migraines, one has a really bad flu.
We all had the best fast.
No headache B"H. I could concentrate on davening for once

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 11:03 am
lots of water all week and fresh coconut water day before fast.
breakfast- slice of bread, eggs and fruit
lunch- spelt sourdough challah, baked fish, veggie soup, watermelon
2nd meal- spelt sourdough challah, salad, brown rice pasta, chicken, grapes

pesek zman

Post Fri, Oct 14 2016, 11:13 am
I'm not a big drinker. I didn't drink any water on erev YK (same as any other day) I had a morning coffee and Drank some crystal light with the meal (1/2 cup or so) but nothing major. BH fasted very well
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics