Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Shul kids group snacks

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 11:41 am
I wanted to help our shul's kids groups out by sponsoring snacks, ie I buy them that week. (It's becoming a pain for the leaders). What are some healthier options out there? I just want to stay away from pure junk (cookies, candy) but I don't want to seem "crazy" for being too healthy- the kids need to like it! I also don't want it to be super expensive...
I was thinking pretzels plus a few other things.

Restrictions- no nuts or nut products. I know of for sure one kid with a peanut restriction/allergy. Also it can't be too labor intensive or burdensome to the group leaders. They are sweet people and I am trying to help them out.
I don't know if they have access to refrigeration or not.

Thanks in advance!!

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 12:06 pm
You can buy stuff like pretzels, air popped popcorn, oven baked chips, maybe even fruit leather type things. But don't get too healthy or the kids will revolt!

Also find out from the group leaders if you need to provide drinks and/or paper goods.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:04 pm
Bravo! I wish every shul and school would aim for healthier snacks. I would love if my kids were served some fresh fruit or maybe veggies with hummus to dip. Even some plain chips, pretzels or crackers are a big step up from that candy garbage full of artificial everything.

sourstix

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:09 pm
Corn chips, tortilla chips, healthy fries snack. There are quite alotof stuff. That's not just candy. It's still better then just candy. Check the snack isle in any kosher store. There is a lot. You know potatoe chips in my opinion is still better then candy. I echo the pop corn.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Oct 16 2016, 2:13 pm
This isn't a shul idea to be healthier. The group leader was complaining (in a nice way) about buying snacks as apparently someone has been taking them and it's a hassle. I thought it might be nice to buy it once in a while to help out.
*I* want it healthier.

A problem is that I can't prepare any food- must be store bought, pareve, nut free. So sliced veggy sticks or cut up fruit is a no-go. No refrigeration now that I think of it.
I haven't seen air popped popcorn- only the garbage snack bag types in the frum grocery.
Ages 2-8 or so...

Between groups and the Shuls kiddush my kid doesn't eat lunch. Ok, she has fruit and cholent at kiddush but this is why I don't want her to fill up on onion rings or cookies.
If she's going to eat that, I want to be the "nice mommy" who gives a rare treat, not "vegetables from mommy and cookies at group".

juggling

Post Mon, Oct 17 2016, 3:09 pm
Pretty sure popcorn is considered a big choking hazard for kids under 5, so I'd stay away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics