Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What would you do if this happened at your house?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

rachel6543

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 10:04 am
Unfortunately I would probably also toss. Both me and my husband have a weak immune system and have to be careful about sharing germs & staying away from sick people. We try to be careful about washing hands a lot. In fact, my poor husband got food poisoning (we think it was the salmon) from Yom Tov lunch yesterday at a friend's house and he was up in the middle of the night throwing up. So yah, it's better to be safe than sorry.

bluebaker

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 10:17 am
There'd be some kind of clue if I looked really hard. One out of place, one different than the rest. And if I couldn't find that one, I'd just chuck the whole bunch out in the bin, call it kaparat avonot, thank Hashem it wasn't worse and move on. Not the end of the world.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
....... I figured if it wasn't good enough for me to eat I shouldn't be serving it to my family or guests either..... Such a waste, but I can't help it...... And I know that if I saw what goes on in restaurants and even many people's home kitchens I would never eat outside my house again, but I somehow am able to block these thoughts so long as I don't see it. But once I see it, that's it for me.

I guess logically these statements are sort of not compatible

1. You saw
2. Others didn't see
3. If I don't see it is ok

Should lead to

4. Should be ok for them but for not for me

vs

5. Not good enough for me = not good enough for them

IE 1,2 and 3 lead to 4, not 5.

... But actually I admire statement 5 the most in a way.

So like I said I have no idea what I'd do. Post a question here I guess.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 10:58 am
rachel6543 wrote:
Unfortunately I would probably also toss. Both me and my husband have a weak immune system and have to be careful about sharing germs & staying away from sick people. We try to be careful about washing hands a lot. In fact, my poor husband got food poisoning (we think it was the salmon) from Yom Tov lunch yesterday at a friend's house and he was up in the middle of the night throwing up. So yah, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I doubt the salmon fell on the floor. It was probably left out too long or reheated improperly. I also wouldn't eat food that sat around too long.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
I guess logically these statements are sort of not compatible

1. You saw
2. Others didn't see
3. If I don't see it is ok

Should lead to

4. Should be ok for them but for not for me

vs

5. Not good enough for me = not good enough for them

IE 1,2 and 3 lead to 4, not 5.

... But actually I admire statement 5 the most in a way.

So like I said I have no idea what I'd do. Post a question here I guess.

I'm with you on number 4.

After I cooked and cooled off, the salmon I made for Rosh Hashana, I found a dead fly floating in the water. There had been a fly buzzing around my kitchen, and it was gone, so I was pretty sure it was the same fly. I don't know if it got cooked with it or flew in after, but I took it out, and served the salmon. I couldn't eat it, but I figured if my family didn't know about it, what's the difference?

If I would have had the time and the money, I would have thrown it out, but I had neither and so I served it.

Miri1

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 11:36 am
I would put in the oven and bake and serve. It doesn't have to bake through, as the germs are on the surface, so I'd think up to 10 mins in the oven would do it.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:19 pm
Shall I tell you what I'd really do? Blow a gasket, and/or break down hysterically crying.

I'm being honest here. With all the stress of a chag, I'm pretty sure I would have lost it, one way or another. Kol hakavod to you for not doing that.

Afterwards, unless I had a pretty good idea where it landed, and could have thrown out all of the pears in the surrounding area, I would have thrown them all away. While fuming.

Food safety wise, I would think the broiling them for a few minutes would take care of the germs. But not the ick factor.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
I'm with you on number 4.

After I cooked and cooled off, the salmon I made for Rosh Hashana, I found a dead fly floating in the water. There had been a fly buzzing around my kitchen, and it was gone, so I was pretty sure it was the same fly. I don't know if it got cooked with it or flew in after, but I took it out, and served the salmon. I couldn't eat it, but I figured if my family didn't know about it, what's the difference?

If I would have had the time and the money, I would have thrown it out, but I had neither and so I served it.

I fear I will remember this story any time a host serves me salmon...

MrsDash

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 1:22 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Shall I tell you what I'd really do? Blow a gasket, and/or break down hysterically crying.

I'm being honest here. With all the stress of a chag, I'm pretty sure I would have lost it, one way or another. Kol hakavod to you for not doing that.

Afterwards, unless I had a pretty good idea where it landed, and could have thrown out all of the pears in the surrounding area, I would have thrown them all away. While fuming.

Food safety wise, I would think the broiling them for a few minutes would take care of the germs. But not the ick factor.

This^^^

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 1:53 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Thank you for saying that. I was losing it on the inside for a minute there, but really... who is there to get mad at? Toddler doesn't know better. Parents are doing their best juggling their various kids, which included this toddler and a mobile baby. Not easy. They were following the toddler and baby but let's face it - these kids move fast. Plus they are very nice people so it's hard to be mad at them. My house is no longer baby proof so really I have to be thankful that this is the worst that happened I guess.

iammom

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for saying that. I was losing it on the inside for a minute there, but really... who is there to get mad at? Toddler doesn't know better. Parents are doing their best juggling their various kids, which included this toddler and a mobile baby. Not easy. They were following the toddler and baby but let's face it - these kids move fast. Plus they are very nice people so it's hard to be mad at them. My house is no longer baby proof so really I have to be thankful that this is the worst that happened I guess.

I would lose it as well. It's not that I'd be mad at anyone, it would just be all the work, stress and lack of sleeping erupting in reaction.

I've done it plenty embarrassed

Seas

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:05 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
Wow I can't believe so many people would throw it out. I would heat it up and serve.

Same here. What happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen.

As an aside, having worked in a commercial kitchen, I can tell you that applies in such places too - and that was a very health-conscientious place.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:08 pm
Once on YT one of my kids was carrying a tray of meat and let it drop, and I lost it. Child was really too young to be carrying a tray and I think it was my husband who gave it to him. I knew rationally that it was not worth sacrificing simchas yt over a tray of meat but at the time I couldn't see straight. So, kudos to you for keeping your cool!

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:08 pm
I can't imagine caring. Such disgusting things surround us - mold, paint, cleaning products, car fumes. What's the big deal about a little kid's saliva? He's not some convict with TB.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 2:16 pm
I hope the mother was tripping over herself apologizing....

I would've chucked the pears too, with a heavy heart though, as I'm sure you had.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
I hope the mother was tripping over herself apologizing....

I would've chucked the pears too, with a heavy heart though, as I'm sure you had.

Neither parent said anything. I assume their heads were turned away for the moment. Or they saw and pretended not to and hoped I didn't either?

Honestly, I'm glad the mother didn't say anything because then I would have had to say something polite like, "Oh, it's no big deal, these things happen.... Kids are like that...." and I'm not THAT good an actress to pull it off. LOL

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 3:47 pm
Am I missing something? If a kid took a little lick and then put it back, I'd have no issue with reheating and reserving!
If the kid was filthy, grotty fingernails, boogers all over his face and sneezing etc, then I'd be very upset and rethink my decision. but if he's basically clean and healthy, who cares? I'd be annoyed ('Kid! Don't do that again!') but definitely wouldn't have wasted all my hard work, energy, money etc.
Anon in case I invite any of u over for Shabbos and it might make u have second thoughts!!!!

princessleah

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 3:49 pm
Somewhat OT, but over Y"T I was at my in-laws and my MIL had asked me to cook something. While standing over the stove the second night, we realize there is no sugar in the house. She walks over to her daughter's house (who is away) to get sugar (daughter lives around the corner). 30 minutes later, shows up with a Ziploc baggie of sugar, saying "wow she has a lot of cabinets!"

I say to her, you sure that is sugar and not salt right, so MIL licks her finger, sticks it in the bag, and licks it again, "yum! it's sugar." I said to her, you just licked your finger and stuck it in the bag.
MIL: "no I didn't." You did. I am standing right here watching you! MIL: "Oh well. I'm healthy."

This was for company the next day. What was I supposed to do? So far everyone is still alive.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 4:06 pm
princessleah wrote:
Somewhat OT, but over Y"T I was at my in-laws and my MIL had asked me to cook something. While standing over the stove the second night, we realize there is no sugar in the house. She walks over to her daughter's house (who is away) to get sugar (daughter lives around the corner). 30 minutes later, shows up with a Ziploc baggie of sugar, saying "wow she has a lot of cabinets!"

I say to her, you sure that is sugar and not salt right, so MIL licks her finger, sticks it in the bag, and licks it again, "yum! it's sugar." I said to her, you just licked your finger and stuck it in the bag.
MIL: "no I didn't." You did. I am standing right here watching you! MIL: "Oh well. I'm healthy."

This was for company the next day. What was I supposed to do? So far everyone is still alive.

"You double dipped the chip!"

hotmom

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
I made poached pairs for dessert. A lot. Enough to serve for at least 2 yom tov meals and still have some left. First day, after the whole meal has been served and everyone has benched and schmoozed and our guests are in the house trying to collect their kids to head out a toddler passes the kitchen table where the large tray of pears is resting. He asks his mother for one (they're actually all halved, so technically half of one) and she takes a paper plate and gives him one to eat (which was fine. Wish she would have asked him to sit down with it instead of wander with it - but that's another story). The toddler chucks the plate to the floor and hold the pear half in his hands. He's circling the kitchen table, licks the fruit a few times while circling, but never takes a bite. Then he decides he doesn't want it and rather than throw it away, give it to his mom, or drop it to the floor, he tosses it back into the tray with the other pears. From where I am standing, I have no clue which one he licked and returned.
Curious what YOU would now do with this tray of poached pears that you went to great effort and expense to make.

Now! I am curious if the mother saw what her kid did, what was her reaction, and did she apologize???
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette