Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Keeping 1 day Chag in city that keeps 2 days

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 6:35 pm
I am curious about what people who keep one day Chag in Israel do when they go abroad for second day Chag where the people around are keeping two days.

Experience anyone?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 19 2016, 6:53 pm
Most of my friends in that situation were told they publicly had to observe the chag, so other than their husbands putting on teffillin in private it was basically like any other Yumtiv.

essie14

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 5:41 am
I was told by my Rav that I can do anything I want in private but not in public. Meaning, I can't get into my car and drive away when my parents live on a street that is 90% frum.
The 2 times I spent chag in the USA after I made aliyah I would do things like check my phone in my room and put in a load of laundry, but when I went outside I would dress in yom tov clothes.

If you are not staying in a super frum area you can probably get in your car and drive somewhere or maybe walk a bit out of the community and hail a taxi.

Best to ask about your specific situation.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 6:20 am
We were told we may not do any melacha even in private. Just have to daven weekday davening (husband put on tefillin in private) and don't make kiddush etc.

smile12345

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 8:17 am
Smile1234 wrote:
We were told we may not do any melacha even in private. Just have to daven weekday davening (husband put on tefillin in private) and don't make kiddush etc.

Same here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics