Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Book recommendations for 5th grade girl
1  2  3  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:10 am
I'd so appreciate clean book recommendations for my 10 yr old dd. I'm interested in clean secular books, and Jewish books. Thanx.

bsy

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:48 am
The Dear America series
Andrew Clements books-Frindle, The School Story, The Janitor's boy etc.

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:33 am
Radio Fifth Grade
The Indian in the Cupboard
Maniac Magee (this book references the racial divide that existed between black ppl and white ppl in a small town some years ago, but it's not the point of the book. It's a side plot. And it's an awesome book.)
The Sign of the Beaver
The Forgotten Door
Tuck Everlasting
No Flying in The House

tigerwife

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:52 am
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

I probably read both a thousand times over my childhood.

sequoia

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:05 am
Anne of Green Gables

cbg

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:15 am
A Single Shard
Shakespeare Stealer
Both great books

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:59 am
Judaica:
Nan's Long Journey - Leah Fried
Starlit - Henye Meyer
A Light for Greytowers and everything by Ruth Steinberg and/or Eva Vogiel
Far From the Place We Call Home - Sara Schleimer
The Stars Will Guide You, Into the Fire - Miriam Walfish. Who also wrote a type of American Girl style series, several of them. I don't know your daughter's reading level. The suggestions so far might be a too high and she might like the series mentioned here.

More to come.

animeme

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 12:06 pm
Please be careful with the Dear America books. Some of them are very, very bleak and depressing.

We like the Forbidden Library books and the Mysterious Benedict Society books. Dd also likes the Land of Stories books.

devorah1231

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 12:26 pm
Land of Stories stops being clean as main characters age.

Sadie

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 12:46 pm
Catherine, Called Birdy

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 2:05 pm
A Wrinkle in Time
Bridge to Terabithia (and lots of other books by Katherine Paterson)
Number the Stars

MyUsername

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 2:07 pm
Nancy Drew books are great.

Babysitter's Club Little Sister series (the little sister series is aimed at a slightly younger crowd than the regular baby sitter's club books)

Little House on the Prairie books (starts with Little House in the Big Wood)

Boxcar Children series

Little Women

polka dots

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 2:30 pm
Little princess

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 4:13 pm
Jewish: 23 Under 1 Roof, Mystery of the Purple Bottle and sequels, BY Times series, Bakers Dozen series, Regards from Camp series.

Secular: Goosebumps series, my students love Lemony Snicket books called A Series of Unfortunately Events because they are hilarious, the Tintin series, and I can check for more if you want.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 4:52 pm
The notable new book for 10-year-olds a couple of years ago was Wonder. It was very well done and thought-provoking without being one of those heavy books that adults think are thought-provoking and kids think are boring.

Trying to remember what else I've liked lately that was clean.

From the above, I loved The Phantom Tollbooth and Mysterious Benedict Society but I think they appeal to a certain type of reader... though definitely worth trying on for size.

Andrew Clements is also great. IIRC he also ventured a little into more mature writing so stick with the middle-school-age ones. Some skew a little younger but others definitely have appeal to 10 and beyond.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 5:26 pm
Thanx so much for all the responses! I actually did read Wonder to my dd. It's totally on her reading level, and I thought the storyline was really great. However, I read it to her,because I didn't want her reading the boy/ girl stuff in it, and some of the language I changed. Was this just me?

animeme

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 5:45 pm
Devorah, thanks for the heads up. She started recently. I find this with so many serieses...

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 7:23 pm
Hm, I guess the sister's boyfriend could be a too intense for sensitive types. There was some kissing IIRC. I think reading it aloud is a great solution for those who want to tone down the PDA. I don't remember objectionable language but then again I was reading it for my own enjoyment and not actively screening. If it were very crude I would have noticed, though.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:06 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Jewish: 23 Under 1 Roof, Mystery of the Purple Bottle and sequels, BY Times series, Bakers Dozen series, Regards from Camp series.

Secular: Goosebumps series, my students love Lemony Snicket books called A Series of Unfortunately Events because they are hilarious, the Tintin series, and I can check for more if you want.

Re Jewish:
And The Invisible Twins (Tova Shkedi) series
Mimi Altein - Mimi in the Middle is the shortest, I liked it
Story collections - Rachel Stein, Miriam Schonzeit

Before I start on secular books, OP, have you gone to the secular booklist on www.chinuch.org?

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:10 pm
Are the Betsy Tacy Tib books still in print? There was a set aimed at younger girls (as opposed to the ones geared towards the high school age which are pretty clean but full of high school romance) that I remember being very good.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children