Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Book recommendations for 5th grade girl
Previous  1  2  3  Next

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:41 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Are the Betsy Tacy Tib books still in print? There was a set aimed at younger girls (as opposed to the ones geared towards the high school age which are pretty clean but full of high school romance) that I remember being very good.

Yes they are! I see you can get the first 4 books as a set on Amazon for under $10.

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 9:58 pm
I agree with The Phantom Tollbooth recommendation.
Also, Mr Poppers Penguins.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:13 pm
If she hasn't read it yet she certainly should, but FTR I consider Popper's Penguins more of a 2nd-grade level.

gold21

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:25 pm
seeker wrote:
If she hasn't read it yet she certainly should, but FTR I consider Popper's Penguins more of a 2nd-grade level.

Oh. My kid is a pretty advanced reader and really enjoys that book, seems to love it. Really, a book just has to appeal to the reader.... Im just listing the books that this child constantly re-reads, I assume they must be pretty good books. Tongue Out

Last edited by gold21 on Thu, Oct 20 2016, 11:17 pm; edited 3 times in total

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 20 2016, 10:28 pm
Definitely enjoyable, yes. Personally I favor middle-school fiction for myself. So I totally get that.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:01 am
The bruno and boots series by gordon korman! Hello! I cant believe no one mentioned that yet! (Somethings fishy at mcdonald hall, go jump in the pool, the zuchinni warriors etc)
Hillarious and clean, I can still read them over and over

spring13

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:02 am
The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper - a bit intense, but a very good lesson about being sensitive to people who are different
From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff - also a bit intense/sad, but really well written and interesting
Project Mulberry by Linda Sue Park
Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman
Most books by Kate DiCamillo
Masterpiece by Elise Broach
The Lemonade Wars by Jacqueline Davies

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:04 am
Bruno and Boots were heavy on the boy/girl stuff. Super funny but totally irreverent.
But Kate DiCamillo has my vote, big time. Because of Winn Dixie and Despereaux for starters, but others as well.

devorah1231

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:30 am
I read a lot - I'm a power user in bpl. I rate my reads and put them in lists, based on what age I think they are appropriate for. I only started a little while ago, but you can look and follow/check back.

I mostly only read kids books. I may be married and a mother, but that doesn't mean I want to read about other people's... urm... you know... shock

https://brooklyn.bibliocommons.....08272

devorah1231

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:32 am
seeker wrote:
Bruno and Boots were heavy on the boy/girl stuff. Super funny but totally irreverent.
But Kate DiCamillo has my vote, big time. Because of Winn Dixie and Despereaux for starters, but others as well.

I love Bruno and Boots, and the only boy/girl stuff was in McDonald Hall goes Hollywood (unless you can't a character being scared of girls!). And in that it's very clean/boy girl. Otherwise it's completely clean friendship.

gold21

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 12:57 am
devorah1231 wrote:
I love Bruno and Boots, and the only boy/girl stuff was in McDonald Hall goes Hollywood (unless you can't a character being scared of girls!). And in that it's very clean/boy girl. Otherwise it's completely clean friendship.

What about the panty raid in This Can't Be Happening In McDonald Hall Wink

seeker

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 1:09 am
Like I said, I loved Bruno and Boots but I doubt it would fly in today's yeshivish crowds. Too bad. So fun.

devorah1231

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 1:15 am
I guess... I always thought that just referred to tights and never thought of it as a symbol of anything... and I'm pretty sure any kid would think the same.

gold21

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 1:21 am
devorah1231 wrote:
I guess... I always thought that just referred to tights and never thought of it as a symbol of anything... and I'm pretty sure any kid would think the same.

I hear ya.
My favorite Gordon Korman of all time, though, is I Want To Go Home. Tongue Out hilarious book LOL

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 8:31 am
seeker wrote:

Someone did mention Radio Fifth Grade, I think.
Not terribly boy/girl heavy, especially compared to his later middle school books. And don't forget Bugs Potter.

gold21

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 8:56 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Someone did mention Radio Fifth Grade, I think.
Not terribly boy/girl heavy, especially compared to his later middle school books. And don't forget Bugs Potter.

Yeah I mentioned Radio Fifth Grade cuz my kid likes it

gold21

Post Fri, Oct 21 2016, 10:53 am
I looked up Mr Poppers Penguins, and the guided reading level is Q. Recommended for grades 3-5.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 2:59 am
Jewish books: Kids Speak (there are a bunch of them), Menucha publishers has a bunch of young adult books for girls including Untold Fortunes, Befriend, etc.

MyUsername

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 6:54 am
American Girl books are perfect for this age - interesting and clean.

ProudMommy3

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 8:33 am
"Fish in a Tree"- it's clean & has a great message. It's about a girl in 6h grade who doesn't know how to read and is diagnosed as dyslexic by an amazing teacher. All about people brig different & that's ok. Great message!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children