Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Black eye or allergic reaction?

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 7:19 pm
My 3 year old has swelling and a purplish tinge near one eye. It looks like a black eye except its puffy and soft which made me think maybe its an allergy. He has no known allergies. I also don't remember him falling or banging into anything. He is not complaining- not of pain, not of itching, not of anything. Should I take him to urgent care tonight? Or wait till morning and see the pediatrician if it's not any better? I tried icing it but he squirmed away after 30 seconds and I don't have any benadryl- should I run out and get?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 8:47 pm
Is there any redness or tearing of the eye?

I would get it checked out--it could be periorbital cellulitis.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 8:51 pm
Yes you should get it checked or at least call your doctor not imamother!

Any swelling in the head could be dangerous because of its closeness to the brain. You need a doctor to tell you if this is an emergency or not.

anonymrs

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 8:52 pm
As someone who has seasonal and food allergies as well as mom to children with severe allergies, this does not sound like something that benadryl would help. I'm not a doctor but if it was one of my kids, I wouldn't even bother with benadryl.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 9:02 pm
Go to urgent care tonight so you have a better idea of what you're dealing with. Benadryl doesn't sound like it will do anything.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:30 am
Do NOT give benadryl unless you know for sure that it's an allergy.

You should really get it checked out ASAP - swelling near the eye of unknown cause can sometimes be serious, and the sooner you get it checked, the less likely it is to cause damage to vision.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 10:07 am
Just wanted to update: it's cellulitis, we started abx this morning.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 10:11 am
Refuah Shelaima! It sounds very serious, being that it's next to the eye/on face/near brain. If it doesn't start to get better by tomorrow morning, go to the emergency room. This may need admission and a few days of Intravenous antibiotics.
Hug

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 10:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
Refuah Shelaima! It sounds very serious, being that it's next to the eye/on face/near brain. If it doesn't start to get better by tomorrow morning, go to the emergency room. This may need admission and a few days of Intravenous antibiotics.
Hug
Doctor is not too worried because we caught it early and a good strong dose should do it. I know how nasty cellulitis can get, I got it as a teen once and my parents didn't get me prompt medical attention and I ended up in the hospital with IV abx.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 10:58 am
Refuah shelaima! Glad u caught it early
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics