Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Hoshana Rabba

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 10:15 pm
What are you doing on Hoshana Rabba? What are your kids doing? Do you have a Seuda during the day? Do you wear Shabbos clothing? Do you take your kids on a Chol hamoed outing? Thanx.

BetsyTacy

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 10:49 pm
On Hoshana raba we get ready for the next yuntif which is only hours away. I have heard about the special meals people eat. I am amazed that anyone outside of Israel can add another yuntif type meal for tomorrow lunch. That would be the equivalent of a 4 day shabbos/yuntif.

Do people go on trips erev yuntif? Hoshana Raba has a special long davening. There is not that much left to the day.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 10:57 pm
How old are your kids, and how are they involved in helping for yontif? I'm having such a hard time with my teens and tweens!!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Oct 22 2016, 11:32 pm
We used to go to to my mom's for a seuda. But for a number of years now we just stay home to prepare for the next to yom tov and serve a quick seuda at home as well.
Nice weekday clothing like any other chol hamoed day. That's if we get to go out, that is.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Oct 23 2016, 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 5:34 am
Hoshana Rabba we do more or less like any other chol hamoed day. If we can, we do a small outing because we have to prepare yontef

bluebaker

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 5:44 am
This Hoshana Raba feels entirely like it will change the world - in a matter of hours - stuff is now happening in Syria - WW3 can begin and end within hours.

http://palmtreeofdeborah.blogspot.co.il/

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:11 am
bluebaker wrote:
This Hoshana Raba feels entirely like it will change the world - in a matter of hours - stuff is now happening in Syria - WW3 can begin and end within hours.

The civil war in Syria has been raging for years.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:13 am
bluebaker wrote:

Well, we did read about Gog and Magog yesterday shock

bluebaker

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:14 am
DrMom wrote:
The civil war in Syria has been raging for years.

Vilna Gaon, Gog and Magog war and Hoshana Rabba (Commentary and Quotes – miyodea Q&A)

"...The Vilna Gaon on the Mechilta (Shmos 14:20) says that the Gog U'Magog war shall begin three hours before "Hanetz Hachama" (crack of dawn) on Hoshana Rabba, and shall last three hours only.”

"It is also a verifiable prediction that according to Rav Yitzchak Kaduri's (zt”l) quotation of the Vilna Gaon that the final battle of Gog and Magog would begin on Hoshanah Rabba, the 7th day of Sukkot, in the first year of a Shmittah (Sabbatical) cycle.”

"Gog (12) and Magog (58) have a gematria (numeric value) of seventy which corresponds to the 70 nations Midrash Tanchuma, Korach 12. This seems to imply that Gog will rule over 70 nations, and all of them will join together against Israel (see Tehillim 118:110 and Zecharyah 14:2).”

"On this great day [of redemption], however, they will be saved from all of their enemies for all times = therefore, it will be called Hoshana Rabba, the great salvation... The Tur Arizal says, "On Hoshanah Rabbah, the war of Gog and Magog will begin." (Paraphrased)

ALSO: "The Tur (Orach Chaim 490) writes in the name of Rav Hai Gaon that the war will break out on Sukkos. See, however, Malbim to Ezek. 39:8 who writes that the timing of that war was never revealed to any prophet."

"There are 3 parts to the war of Gog miGog. This is based upon Midrash Tehillim. The first part coincides with the Holocaust and the detonation of the nuclear weapons over Hiroshima and Nagasaki. This is alluded to in Tikkuninim Chadashim of Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzato. It is also following the schedule of the redemption as outlined in Sefer Avkat Rochel of Rabbeinu Makir ben Abba Mori. The 2nd stage corresponds to Operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield. The 3rd and final stage called Operation Iraqi Freedom and the War in Afghanistan is what was mentioned by Rav Kaduri”

http://habayitah.blogspot.co.I......html

The writing from the Vilna Gaon are most likely referring to the sealed letter which the Gaon wanted opened 100 years after his passing. It can be found in the Rav Menachem Kasher edition of Sefer Kol HaTor entitled "HaTekufah HaGadolah". It was published in 1972 and is still available in print. This schedule is also discussed in Sefer Kol HaTor. [. . .]

The information is accurate and correct.

This view was not only held by Rav Kaduri. For those who remember, the nascent Sanhedrin produced a scroll that was to be delivered to then President George Bush warning him that he was the one foretold in the Prophets in the Tanach as being Gog mi'Gog. This scroll warned clearly that Bush needed to support Israel or G-d would deal with him severely. (See above link for Sources to this)
[. . .]

I have been looking through the Vilna Gaon's commentary on the Mechilta and have found nothing that explicitly states what is being asked. The commentary is called "Biyurim v'Haga'ot HaGra". I also checked his commentary "Kol Eliyahu" on Tanach. It is possible there is some larger, more comprehensive commentary.

What I have found is only an explanation of what the Mechilta itself says. Namely that the final redemption will parallel the redemption from Egypt. In this particular case, the splitting of the Red Sea and all the details of this are associated with the final stage of the conflict in the War of Gog miGog. This is explicitly associated with chapter 60 of Isaiah at the beginning. It also relates this to what happened with the judgement of Sodom and Gemorrah.

A little later in the Mechilta it mentions the view of Rabbi Eliezer who says that although the exodus from Egypt was in the month of Nisan, for various reasons, the final redemption will be in Tishrei. The Gra there doesn't say how he holds. He just explains Rabbi Eliezer's reasoning.

The judgement of the nations is sealed and execution begins from Hoshannah Rabbah. That is the explicit teaching of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai as found in the Zohar on parshat Tzav.

So in context, if this judgement with Gog u'Magog parallels the timing of the splitting of the Red Sea, it would seem to be shortly before daybreak.

Looking simply at the timing, the beginning of the bombing in Afghanistan in the 2nd Gulf War started the night of Hoshannah Rabbah. That complies with the plain meaning from the Mechilta as understood by the Vilna Gaon.

[ME: However, we see there is now in 5777 a Build-Up by Russia and other nations seeming to be centered in and around the Mediterranean, involving Syria and the US. (See various websites for this.)]

This is also the explanation of how the final redemption unfolds as discussed in Sefer Avkat Rochel of Rabbi Makir ben Abba Mari, volume 1, Wars of King Moshiach, 8th sign. This is also brought in Targum Yonatan ben Uziel on Devarim 34:3.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:14 am
Like any other friday or erev chag here. Im cooking and cleaning up the kitchen. My husband is running some errands and going to the gym. And my daughter is over at a friend enjoying the longish day.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:17 am
I'm cooking and in a little while will be running up to the school where we will be setting up for our annual womens hakafot that will be held tonight.
Last night I attended a number of shiurim at the shul as I do every year on leyl Hoshana Raba.

treestump

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 6:25 am
Regular erev chag here... Honestly, I don't have time to cook a meal for today and I'm certainly not dressed in Yom Tov clothing as I cook and clean. It would be very nice if I had the time to do that, but so far that hasn't happened.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 9:48 am
We have a yom tov seudah around noon in the sukkah. We eat chicken soup with kreplach and stuffed cabbage as well as meat or chicken and a side dish. We don't drey a long time at the seudah. We clean up and prepare for yom tov.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 10:03 am
We will wash and eat shabbas left overs. I made kreplach but nothing else extra. Its a quick meal and then get ready for yom tov
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics