Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Ptchaw - do you eat or make it?
Previous  1  2

Flower Girl

Post Tue, Oct 25 2016, 5:21 pm
My DH once found a source for it in chassidish Sefer the Roshei Teves for it is עמך ישראל צריכים פרנסה, Hence a segulla for parnassah. We have been eating it since both versions hot and cold.

sarahleah88

Post Tue, Oct 25 2016, 5:54 pm
My MIL used to make it. I didn't grow up with it. Loved my MIL but not the ptcha. She used a ton of garlic. I bet it was good, just never tried it. Now that she is gone, I wish I had tried it once.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 25 2016, 10:06 pm
It's a very traditional dish that neither my mother nor my grandmother ever served, at least not during my lifetime. That and schav--another winnner in the "horrible-sounding eastern european traditional foods" contest--were things I heard them discussing with older relatives when I was a very young child. The look of the stuff is so off-putting to me (even the name sounds like a disease, possibly some sort of unsightly skin disorder) that on the two occasions I actually came across it served in the flesh, I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to try it. Nor do I ever intend to, though I think it would make an excellent soup base and would cheerfully add it to my soup pot if any ever came my way. Ptcha, that is. Schav reminds me of nasal mucus and the only thing I would do with it if it came my way is palm it off onto someone else.

rowo

Post Tue, Oct 25 2016, 10:16 pm
So interesting to know that there is a difference between ptcha and gala, I always thought it was just different names for the same thing, based on where the family was from or something. So thanks sourstix!

I grew up seeing it occasionally, but not eating it!
But as an adult I now love it. I've made it once, but one of the local butchers makes a great one.
It was much easier than I expected.
It had the same texture as jello, it's just savoury.

tf

Post Wed, Oct 26 2016, 2:58 am
treestump wrote:
I've never tasted it, and I don't intend on ever making it. I have been at some meals where it was served, and the sight of the quivering murky brown blob did not encourage me to try it. I do wonder how it tastes though.

It has a very garlicy taste, some call it galarete, or gala. Those who call it galarete, use the word p'tsay for the dish made of chicken feet, yellow of a hard boiled egg, lemon, and maybe sugar???!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics