Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Babysitting at home

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 3:07 pm
I babysit at my house for a few babies and as you all know babies aren't always spotless. Spit up, diapers, food, formula, drooling, it all ends up on you. So what would I wear to do this job? I wear my washable weekday robe of course! But I'm starting to feel a little wierd cuz I don't want them to think Im a shlump. They come in at 8 am to drop t heir kids off and I'm wearing a robe and a tichel. They pick their kids up at 4 pm and I'm still wearing a robe and a tichel.
What would you do?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 3:11 pm
Do you have any normal clothes that might look a little more "put together" but are easily washable? How about a cheaper sheitel that might look a little more "dressed," but that isn't a 2K Shevy...

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 3:17 pm
amother- I have things I supose I could wear but I'd rather be as comfortable while doing my job as possible. And I def will not wear a sheitel while babysitting, it gets in the way and the kids pull at it. And how did you know that I had a 2k Shevy? Wink

Garden

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 3:57 pm
I would wear a washable top (blouse or t-shirt) and slinky skirt. If you wear a nice bandana or snood you will look just fine. I wouldn't sit in a robe the whole day.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 4:27 pm
I don;t wear slinky skirts.
and I have only 2 shirts that I don;t mind getting babied on.

gold21

Post Tue, Aug 28 2007, 4:46 pm
I wouldnt spend want to spend a whole day in a robe...

I suggest a pretty machine-washable top and pretty machine-washable skirt, a touch of makeup, and a snood/bandanna. if you dont have enough machine-washable clothes, then buy some more!....otherwise I guess youll just have to wear a robe....

the type of clothes I would suggest would be like tops from old navy/gap, which are for the most part very comfy and last through washes, and are also stylish. a good skirt could be denim, stretch material, cotton, etc.

I do not recommend wearing a shaitel while babysitting. a snood is prefectly fine. the women whose kids you are babysitting are not looking for a preppy woman, but rather one who is dressed in child-appropriate attire...

rachel19977

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 7:03 pm
You can always change your clothing 10 min before they come to pick up the kids

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 8:02 pm
I think you should wear your robe - you're working at home, it's fine garb for that!

mimivan

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 8:14 pm
RivkiA wrote:
I babysit at my house for a few babies and as you all know babies aren't always spotless. Spit up, diapers, food, formula, drooling, it all ends up on you. So what would I wear to do this job? I wear my washable weekday robe of course! But I'm starting to feel a little wierd cuz I don't want them to think Im a shlump. They come in at 8 am to drop t heir kids off and I'm wearing a robe and a tichel. They pick their kids up at 4 pm and I'm still wearing a robe and a tichel.
What would you do?

I'd put on regular clothes and wear a housedress over the regular clothes to protect them. Then when the parents come, I'd take off the housedress. You could put some make up on before the parents come and if the tichel is attractive, it should be okay.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 8:32 pm
I took both my kids to babysitters at other people's homes. I would MUCH prefer the babysitter to wear a robe than real clothes she might worry about.

The only reason she might be dressed is because she's going out to do errands after I come back . . . but otherwise I owuld wonder why she's dressed "like that"...... I think it gives the impression of not being at home.

miri123

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 8:41 pm
I had babysat @ home and I wore comfy (camp style) washable clothes and tichels. But when I took my kids to organized playgroops I expected the morahs to wear sheitels.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Sep 02 2007, 9:08 pm
My ds goes to a babysitter and she wears a snood and a skirt with a top. I would think that a robe isn't very professional, and how do you feel about being in a robe all day? As for a sheital, you def. don't need to wear one, my son would rip it off of you! Smile Be comfortable, wear washable clothes, any sahm could tell you what to buy....

amother

Post Mon, Sep 03 2007, 11:33 am
I babysat in my house for years and wore washable cotton tshirts and skirts.
I bought mostly in Old navy, gap or elzees. I only wore a tichel as it's hard to work with little kids in a shaitel all day.
I didn't like to wear a robe as I felt it was a little too casual.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics