Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
My chicken soup is bad

dina22

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 3:54 am
I don't use chicken, as my family doesn't eat it but I do use a whole pack of chicken bones. I boil it in a pot covered in water for an hour, remove the shmutz, and add carrots, celery, squash, an onion and a parsnip and salt and simmer it for about 8 hours- low and slow which is the best for chicken soup. However, it tastes watery for some reason! Please advise.

5mom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 4:24 am
I use whole chicken, carrots, onion, dill, zucchini and pumpkin, boil all together, skim, and lower to simmer for 3 to 4 hours.

A soup made with bones isn't the same as a soup made with flesh. You don't need a lot, but it's a crucial part of the taste.

naomi6

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 4:46 am
Add beef neck bones do not remove cook the chicken bones and beef bones the whole time together clean off the scum and keep it bubbling strong if needed add water 3 - 4 hrs enough

cinnamon

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:18 am
Sweet potato adds a vey good taste to the soup - we don't eat it I just add it for the taste.
Also a spoonfull of soup mix.

newface34

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:20 am
You should really add fresh chicken not just bones. Maybe out in mesh bag so you could easily take it out. Even chicken necks would be more favorable than bones alone. Also I put my chicken and veggies in the same time.
Carrots, sweet potato, zucchini, celery, turnip, parsnip, lots of onion, fresh dill and fresh parsley let it cook for at least 6-7+ hours.

Only seasoned with salt and pepper.

bluebaker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:33 am
You need to add much more vegetables - an assortment -

Pumpkin
garlic
red pepper
parsley
dill
green peas

and add some soaked beans - red, white or even chickpeas.

spice it up too - add some turmeric - just a pinch make it colorful.

and you need some more fat in the guise of some good olive oil. Add liberally but not too much. You want substance, not grease.

dina22 wrote:
I don't use chicken, as my family doesn't eat it but I do use a whole pack of chicken bones. I boil it in a pot covered in water for an hour, remove the shmutz, and add carrots, celery, squash, an onion and a parsnip and salt and simmer it for about 8 hours- low and slow which is the best for chicken soup. However, it tastes watery for some reason! Please advise.

working hard

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:59 am
I use chicken bones but I boil my bones for 8-10 hours. No problems with flavor. I then remove the bones and add an assortment of vegetables and boil for 2-3 more hours.

yamz

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 9:11 am
Disclaimer -- I never make chicken soup, so this is not me speaking from personal experience, rather my response comes from a combination of personal observations and science.

Some questions:
When you say your soup is "watery," do you mean that it lacks body, or do you mean that it lacks flavor? Those are two different issues.
How many quarts are you cooking at once? Maybe just one pack of bones isn't enough.

Either way, your biggest problem is probably the amount of time you are leaving the bones in the soup. One hour is not enough time. The collagen in the bones is what gives your soup substance. You need to cook the bones long enough to allow the collagen to break down and seep into the surrounding water. (Sorry if that sounds gross.) Try cooking the bones for several hours and see if that makes a difference.

Are you adding enough salt to your soup? I am not talking about making your soup taste salty, but salt brings out the flavors of the other ingredients. People often do not use enough salt when they cook, and it makes a huge difference in the flavor of the food. It is essential, unless you are cooking for people who are on a sodium restricted diet, and you have no choice.

Finally, as others have mentioned, try adding other flavorful ingredients like fresh dill and/or garlic.

Anyway, I hope at least some of this helps.

cbg

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 9:11 am
working hard wrote:
I use chicken bones but I boil my bones for 8-10 hours. No problems with flavor. I then remove the bones and add an assortment of vegetables and boil for 2-3 more hours.

I do this all the time. I make a lot of broth at 1 time and freeze then it's ready for when I want to add veggies.
I put the bones in the crockpot, on low, and let it go for 18-24 hrs.
I strain it using a cheese cloth.
And when it's cooled I put in the fridge until the next day.
The fat rises to the top, which I take off.
Then I out it in containers and freeze. I use this for my base.
It is VERY concentrated, to this I add water veggies and season.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 9:22 am
I usually use bones. I throw the bones and a LOT of veggies in (carrots, swedes, parsnips, onions, leeks, celery etc) and let it cook the whole friday.

Another thing I do is freeze the leftover shabbos chicken (if I have too much for people to eat on sunday/monday) and use those pieces to make soup.

sped

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 9:28 am
You mean you cook it with already cooked chicken? Does that add flavor? I never thought of using leftover chicken this way.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 9:58 am
dina22 wrote:
I don't use chicken, as my family doesn't eat it but I do use a whole pack of chicken bones. I boil it in a pot covered in water for an hour, remove the shmutz, and add carrots, celery, squash, an onion and a parsnip and salt and simmer it for about 8 hours- low and slow which is jthe best for chicken soup. However, it tastes watery for some reason! Please advise.

Depending on size if pot you either need more bones or more salt. If salt doesn't do it, use more bones

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 10:00 am
5mom wrote:
I use whole chicken, carrots, onion, dill, zucchini and pumpkin, boil all together, skim, and lower to simmer for 3 to 4 hours.

A soup made with bones isn't the same as a soup made with flesh. You don't need a lot, but it's a crucial part of the taste.

You absolutely do not need flesh to make good soup. I use bones exclusively and cook for hours and hours. No collagen in flesh which is essential to mouth feel and flavour.

cbg

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 10:36 am
sped wrote:
You mean you cook it with already cooked chicken? Does that add flavor? I never thought of using leftover chicken this way.

Maybe she means she adds chopped chicken pieces into broth. I do that sometimes as well as already cooked veggies.
I take my homemade broth add already cooked chick and veggies and heat through.

5mom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 10:43 am
andrea levy wrote:
You absolutely do not need flesh to make good soup. I use bones exclusively and cook for hours and hours. No collagen in flesh which is essential to mouth feel and flavour.

על טעם וריח, as they say. I'm sure your soup is delicious.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 10:52 am
My chicken soup recipe is:

2 chicken bottoms (thigh and leg)
2 chicken bones
1 zucchini
1 carrot
3-4 teaspoons salt (I don't really measure it, I'm guesstimating it's about this much)
And enough water to fill the 4 qt pot after all the other stuff is inside. I guess about 3 qts of water?

I bring to a boil, then simmer for 3-4 hours.

The color, flavor and texture are amazing.

I've used 5-6 chicken wings as a substitute for chicken bottoms. If I didn't have any chicken I'd use 4 chicken bones, but the flavor isn't as good.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 10:55 am
I use only bones and I think its the ratio of water to bones. 1qt water for each pound of bones. I use a crockpot and lots of veg and let it cook for around 10 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics