Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What is protocol for tipping delivery men?
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:13 pm
Maybe I'm naive but I never know if I'm supposed to tip every delivery man or how much. We have men that deliver the groceries, occasionally someone delivering takeout, sometimes a pharmacy delivery person, on the rare occasions that we get furniture delivered...

What's the protocol for tipping delivery men?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:15 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I'm naive but I never know if I'm supposed to tip every delivery man or how much. We have men that deliver the groceries, occasionally someone delivering takeout, sometimes a pharmacy delivery person, on the rare occasions that we get furniture delivered...

What's the protocol for tipping delivery men?

Anytime someone delivers anything to your apartment, you tip them.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:17 pm
How much? Obviously someone delivering furniture should get tipped more. How much for a standard delivery of pizza, take out, groceries, or a pharmacy?

cnc

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:21 pm
Pharmacy pizza etc $2-3.
For groceries I give $1 a box with a minimum of $ 2.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:22 pm
For pizza, grocery, takeout delivery I usually give $2 (my supermarket charges for delivery so I feel like $2 additional is ok even for 6 boxes).
For a new appliance or piece of furniture, usually $20.
Lots of appliances or furniture pieces or full home move, obviously much more.

I have no idea if what I give is ideal but it's what feels right.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:40 pm
cnc wrote:
Pharmacy pizza etc $2-3.
For groceries I give $1 a box with a minimum of $ 2.

That's interesting, because delivering boxes groceries is harder than delivering a medicine or pizza box.

cnc

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 8:44 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
That's interesting, because delivering boxes groceries is harder than delivering a medicine or pizza box.

So what's interesting?
My grocery delivery guy will usually get $6 -$7. My pharmacy guy will get $2.

I rarely order pizza but on the few occasions I did , I give $2 if it's just a pie and $3 of there is more stuff.

Once in a while I have the grocery delivery a couple of things that takes up less than a box- I give the delivery guy $2.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:35 pm
I tipped about $2 for groceries and take out. If it's raining or otherwise awful weather, I'd occasionally raise it to $5.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Oct 27 2016, 11:56 pm
I usually tip a dollar for pharmacy, fish, or health food store.
On a rare occasion for a grocery delivery I tip 2 dollars.
I also struggle with not knowing what's normal...
Can more ppl chime in?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 12:02 am
I usually do $1 for pharmacy and grocery. Those are the places I get deliveries from. Groceries are usually 2-3 boxes and im only 3 stairs up, so not much shlepping for them to do.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 12:09 am
I'm just wondering, do you tip frum people also $1? For example, if I get a delivery from my butcher, I'm uncomfortable giving a frum person $1, or if I take a car service with a heimishe driver, do you give the driver more if he's frum?

dina22

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 3:39 am
Pharmacy I usually do $2, grocery order usually $5

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 6:15 am
amother wrote:
Anytime someone delivers anything to your apartment, you tip them.

You tip the Fedex guy? The UPS guy? The postal worker?

cm

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:47 am
Not in NYC, which may make a difference, but furniture and appliance delivery people always zoom out the door without waiting for a tip. It does not appear to be expected.

Takeout delivery people expect a tip. They may be using their own car and gas (it varies from one employer to another). I would tip the same as I would for a waiter.

cnc

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:51 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
You tip the Fedex guy? The UPS guy? The postal worker?

Once a year- $20.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 10:12 am
cnc wrote:
Once a year- $20.

I would like to do so as I get constant UPS & FedEx deliveries, but we rarely have the same delivery person; always someone different.

rfeig613

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 10:32 am
I think the above is spot on.

For takeout food, $2-$3, depending on how far he's coming from.

For groceries, $1 per box (I live on the ground floor), but if he's going uo stairs, I'd give $2 a box.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 10:46 am
cm wrote:
Not in NYC, which may make a difference, but furniture and appliance delivery people always zoom out the door without waiting for a tip. It does not appear to be expected.

Takeout delivery people expect a tip. They may be using their own car and gas (it varies from one employer to another). I would tip the same as I would for a waiter.

In my experience (brooklyn) furniture and appliance delivery guys expect a tip. Usually I give $10-20 depending how many people and if they assembled anything.

Pharmacy I don't really tip unless my copay is an uneven amount and I'll tell them to keep the change ($1-2).

Never had takeout delivered so I don't know what I'd give.

My grocery charges $1 a box for delivery and a minimum of $3. I usually tip $1 per delivery guy. I thought that was the norm.

Cab drivers, hmm I don't tip often unless I'm feeling generous. I feel like I'm paying them for the service why should I pay more. Besides, most of them are wild drivers giving jerky rides and when it's over I just want to throw up. Nope, no tip for that. I avoid taking cabs when I can.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 10:48 am
rfeig613 wrote:
I think the above is spot on.

For takeout food, $2-$3, depending on how far he's coming from.

For groceries, $1 per box (I live on the ground floor), but if he's going uo stairs, I'd give $2 a box.

If you get 10 boxes you give $10? I think that's extremely generous for a delivery guy.

nursemomma

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 11:40 am
I don't tip pharmacy/any small pckg.
For groceries, usually $2.
Car services I never tip-it's a service you are paying for, unless they went out of the way to help with a stroller etc.
In the summer, when it gets really hot, I usually offer a cup of water as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries