Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Do I need to take challo from 3 lbs flour?

hotmom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:22 am
Made a dough with 3 lbs spelt flour (if it makes any difference) not sure if I need to take challo. I usually make 6 lbs and take challo. Please let me know what you do if you make challo with 3 lbs flour. Tia

imasinger

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:37 am
I learned that the minimum to take with a bracha is 5 lbs. I would suggest taking without a bracha.

yenta2

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:45 am
imasinger wrote:
I learned that the minimum to take with a bracha is 5 lbs. I would suggest taking without a bracha.

The and was told not to make less the 5lbs to avoid the shiala

kb

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:51 am
Take without a bracha

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:56 am
I make 3 lbs and take with a bracha as does my mum and her mum and her mum before her.
AYLOR if you are not sure what you should do.

cm

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 10:04 am
From the Star-K

http://www.star-k.org/articles.....llah/

II. Measurements

Min haTorah, the amount of flour one must knead to be obligated in hafrashas Challah is an “asiris ha’aifa.” This is equivalent to the volume of 431/5 eggs.5 The exact volume of an “egg” is questionable due to various factors, including the possible “downsizing” of the eggs used today in comparison with those used in Talmudic times. L’halacha, one should be mafrish Challah when kneading 2.6 lbs. of flour, which on average is equivalent to 82/3 cups of flour.6 However, a bracha is not recited for this amount. If one kneads a smaller amount of flour, one is not mafrish Challah.7

There are two customs as to the amount that must be kneaded to require a bracha. Some individuals recite a bracha when kneading 3.675 lbs. or more of flour (on average, 121/4 cups).8 Many only recite a bracha when kneading 4.95 lbs. of flour (I.e. almost the entire contents of a 5 lb. bag of flour – on average, 161/2 cups of flour).9 Individuals should follow their family custom.

These measurements apply when baking bread or any other hamotzi product. When kneading dough for baking pas haba’ah b’kisnin (e.g. cake and cookies), for boiling (e.g. noodles), or for frying, one is mafrish Challah if 2.6 lbs. (82/3 cups) of flour are used. A bracha is not recited even if more than 5 lbs. of flour are used.10

pause

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 10:09 am
I learned five pounds flour requires a bracha when taking challa and between 2.5 and five pounds is a chilukei dayos so we take challa but without a bracha.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 2:55 pm
Yes you need to take Challah, but without a Bracha.

We make a Bracha when the the dough is made from 4.4 pounds of flour or more.

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 2:58 pm
I was told if I use 6 cups flour to take a portion without a bracha, I was also recently taught if you make a full 5 lbs with a bracha you have to keep it all for yourself no selling or giving away so since my freezer isn't that big I am out of luck on that mitzvah.

hotmom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 4:59 pm
Thank you for all your responses. I took challo without a brocho. Gut Shabbos to all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads