Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's your secret to a good chicken soup?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:41 am
do you have a secret ingredient or any tips for a very tasty chicken soup? please share. I've been making chicken soup for a few years and I'm not happy with the flavor. it's not tasty enough, compared to other soups I've tasted.
please help

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:50 am
Parsnip, chicken gizzards (pupiks), dill.
And chicken/chicken bones, carrots, onions. Add water to just about cover, or more if you'd like but not by a lot.
Bring to a boil, skim, let simmer partially covered for a good few hours. Refrigerate in containers with chicken meat and veg., skim the next day and freeze. (We won't get into the soggy veg. debate.)
No seasonings necessary to add besides dill though some family will lightly salt at the meal.

imasinger

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:55 am
Make sure you keep bones in there for a long time.

Carrots, parsnip, onion, bay leaf, and fresh garlic add depth. Celery and summer squash are nice, too.

Boil long enough for the taste to concentrate.

Salt and pepper to taste. Shred the soup chicken, so that everyone can get chicken and veggies in their bowl if they want.

mfb

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:56 am
I get great regards about my soup.
4 quart pot
1 chicken bottom
1 pack carrots
1 squash
3-4 stalks celery
Salt to taste
I think it needs a decent amount of salt to bring out all the vegetables flavors

jflower

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:56 am
I put in most of what Pink fridge does except for the chicken gizzards. My secret ingredient is one large sweet potato for a 12 quart pot. It adds sweetness and beautiful color to the soup. Simply delicious.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 8:57 am
Of course, start with actual chicken bones (I use like 5 pounds of chicken bones for a 9 quart pot), not consomme Smile Sometimes I'll throw in some turkey or beef bones if I have them on hand to deepen the flavor, but not too many or it'll overpower the more mellow chicken flavor.

For veggies, I use carrots (nearly an entire pound), celery (2-3 large ribs), a small sweet potato (scrubbed and left whole with peel on), a small parsnip, a small whole onion, a clove or two of peeled garlic. Parsley and dill in a cheesecloth bag. Scant salt and pepper, so people can add as needed at the table.

Also, I let the bones simmer in the soup literally overnight (or 6+ hours on Thursday afternoon). I can always tell when a soup is "new" and weaker flavored.

PinkFridge, I haven't had pupiks in my soup since I was a kid! Have you ever had turkey pupiks? They're HUGE! I miss them so much! Very Happy

Editing to clarify: I let the chicken bones simmer, covered in water, overnight. Skim scuzz off and remove bones. If I have time, strain for maximum stock clarity. Only add veggies once the bones are removed, I don't want them to get fatty and scuzzy. If I cut carrots small-ish, then vegetables/herbs only need to cook for 1-2 hours in the soup. If I want the sweet potato nice and soft, then that at least needs 3 hours of simmering.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Nov 01 2016, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:01 am
chicken bottoms or chicken bones

green squash(peeled- when u leave the peel on its bitter)
onion
fresh parsley
parsnip
turnip
carrots
salt
celery

bring to a boil and let it simmer for a two hours

mha3484

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:05 am
I cook it low and slow in the crock pot. I use a quart of water for each lb of bones and lots of vegetables.

ShirleyTemple

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:10 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Parsnip, chicken gizzards (pupiks), dill.
And chicken/chicken bones, carrots, onions. Add water to just about cover, or more if you'd like but not by a lot.
Bring to a boil, skim, let simmer partially covered for a good few hours. Refrigerate in containers with chicken meat and veg., skim the next day and freeze. (We won't get into the soggy veg. debate.)
No seasonings necessary to add besides dill though some family will lightly salt at the meal.

Does refrigerating with the chicken/meat and veggies increase the flavor or you just do that for your convenience?

I usually put my soup through a strainer while it's cooling (we like very clear soup only), then divide in containers and freeze.

yogabird

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:17 am
I don't always put this is but love how it tastes when I do: green pepper.

naomi2

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:19 am
tons of veggies and chicken parts and water just to cover. that's the trick.

zaq

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:24 am
Long, long, LONG cooking time and plenty of chicken parts, veggies and garlic.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:28 am
so many ideas. cant wait to try them. I never used parsley or dill. is there a big difference? they look pretty similar.
do I only use these fresh?

first thing I'll try is cooking on simmer overnight.

thanks ladies.

Maybe

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:32 am
The best was NO chicken only grass fed beef. No need cleaning prior to cooking.

Cook vegies ( including 1 or 2 beets) for a few hours, remove fill with meat, lowest flame lid slightly open all day or overnight, can be diluted after cooking,to cool fast add ice blocks.

Skim off fat use for cooking quinoa etc.let floating bits settle in tall narrow container or strain.

turkey gizzard is another option grind when done for burgers or meat loaf

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 9:55 am
1) Simmer the soup for a long time — I do 5 hours.

2) After cooking I remove all the vegetables — carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley root — puree them in a Ninja, and then add them back into the broth (remove the chicken from the broth). Adds flavor and more body.

I make a lot of soup at time in a 12-qt pot. It freezes well in smallish containers.

fatso gal

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 10:38 am
Like many have said the only way to get that intense chicken flavor is by letting it simmer for a long time.

I put in chicken carcass (backbone, rib cage, and neck) with 3 chicken wings in a 4 quart pot. Then I put in one zucchini two medium carrots, two to three stalks of celery, and two small to medium onions. Salt to taste and fill the pot. I turn down the flame right when the soup reaches as boil, otherwise I find the soup comes out cloudy. You also need to skim the top of the soup.

I personally like my soup to have a pure chicken flavor so I don't put in black pepper or herbs. I also find that the quantity of veggies and which veggies are put in alters the flavor.

mommy1and3

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 11:10 am
I boil water add loads of veggies
2 large onion
Bunch pytrishke
5 loose carrots
Knob celery
Fresh garlic cloves
Beet
Celery
Squash
Green pepper
Kohlrabi small sometimes fresh parsley
Boil for an hour
Add salt to taste
Add chicken bones and let cook for 3-4 hours!!!
Delicious

ra_mom

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 1:23 pm
Fresh dill imparts the best flavor for chicken soup. It's my must have ingredient for chicken soup.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 1:30 pm
I have a different type, more of a vegetable-chicken. Chicken, of course, and
zucchini
whole onions, (peeled, just not chopped)
carrots
sweet potatoes
lots of butternut squash
if I have time- fresh pumpkin- yum!

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 1:44 pm
I ook for a long time. I simmer it all day on low
I put in.
4 chicken legs (drumstick plus bottom) or bonew and one chicken bottom
Celery
Carrot
Parsnip
Turnip
Onion
Parsley
Dill

After its cooked I add towards the end zucchini and sweet potato. (I dont like when they get mushed)

Yummmmm
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen