Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's your secret to a good chicken soup?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

etky

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:49 am
cbsp wrote:
Just read this and found it interesting:

http://www.jewishworldreview.c......php3

The accompanying article is quite detailed and explains the purpose of most of the ingredients and steps. I had never heard of noodle kugel for the soup.

Thx- very interesting indeed and includes some ideas that I had never heard of either. Aside from the noodle kugel: browning and charring an unpeeled onion half, using the crisped skin as garnish, adding lemon juice (although come to think of it I do squeeze a lemon half into the soup when I convert the leftovers into couscous soup). I found it interesting that the author recommends a short cooking time and doesn't think it heretical to add bouillon or soup base if the chicken flavor needs boosting whereas the popular wisdom of most cooks I know (and on this thread) recommends a long simmering time to extract the flavor from the chicken and eschews soup powder or base. I think this is because the author is prioritizing the chicken meat over the actual soup.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:15 am
etky wrote:
Thx- very interesting indeed and includes some ideas that I had never heard of either. Aside from the noodle kugel: browning and charring an unpeeled onion half, using the crisped skin as garnish, adding lemon juice (although come to think of it I do squeeze a lemon half into the soup when I convert the leftovers into couscous soup). I found it interesting that the author recommends a short cooking time and doesn't think it heretical to add bouillon or soup base if the chicken flavor needs boosting whereas the popular wisdom of most cooks I know (and on this thread) recommends a long simmering time to extract the flavor from the chicken and eschews soup powder or base. I think this is because the author is prioritizing the chicken meat over the actual soup.

That recipe is similar to one in Mastering the Art of French cooking. Skinning the chicken pretty much eliminates skimming. My aunt would make that simple noodle kugel, we would call it a raft when we were kids.

I learned about the charred onion from Vietnamese cooking, it's a necessary item for making stock for Pho. Try it the next time you want to make a nice clear beef stock.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 9:09 am
Ive started making chicken soup in my electric pressure cooker and its taken it to a whole new level (and is so easy).

rgr

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:02 am
sweetpotato wrote:
Ive started making chicken soup in my electric pressure cooker and its taken it to a whole new level (and is so easy).

Lol my secret is sweet potato!

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 10:09 am
rgr wrote:
Lol my secret is sweet potato!

He he he I thought the same thing.

busy mommy

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 11:19 am
My secret ingredient is a whole red pepper. I take it out when the soup is done cooking though. it makes such an amazing flavor!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:04 pm
add about 1/2 cup dry white wine at the end. Also, don't forget a parsnip

cookiewriter

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 12:18 pm
I have the best soup. I make it in a huge pot bec a lot goes in. It makes enough for about a month or two. I let it cool, strain it so it's crystal clear, put it into the two pound takeout containers, then each week I take out a container or two, add fresh carrots. Sometimes a drumstick for the baby.
Anyway here's what I put in
Package of chicken bottoms
Package of chicken bones
Two turkey huge drumsticks (don't skip!)
Tons of carrots celery zucchini onion garlic cloves
Dill cubes parsley cubes. Bunch of each!!
Two parsnip
Two turnip
Lots of salt and white pepper to taste
Now here's the most important part. Simmer all day and overnight!!! Covered. At the barest boil possible (just a few bubbles every few seconds)
Then strain after its cooled down. Takes a good few hours to cool.
Strain through seive lined with paper towel
Heaven!!!!

Ilovemaryland

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:06 pm
My trick is celery salk

It turns the yuckiest thing into a gourmet treat

rising hero

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:32 pm
I didnt read the whole thread but my not-so-secret "secret" is cooking it for a very long time until it's a dark golden color. So good! I put in a whole onion, one chicken bottom, squash, carrots, celery and a turnip.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:36 pm
sweetpotato wrote:

I just broke down and bought one for Pesach. It would be worth it for the soup alone!

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:44 pm
I've recently discovered the secret and now my chicken soup tastes amazing. I make it every Friday and sometimes on a random weekday too Smile

Don't add spices.

Chicken, onion, garlic, carrot, salt. That's it.

I also let it cook until it's a dark golden color and the flavor is incredible.

return2You

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 1:46 pm
I also add Fresh dill and a half red pepper. Gives it an added heavenly flavor

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:00 pm
sequoia wrote:
I've recently discovered the secret and now my chicken soup tastes amazing. I make it every Friday and sometimes on a random weekday too Smile

Don't add spices.

Chicken, onion, garlic, carrot, salt. That's it.

I also let it cook until it's a dark golden color and the flavor is incredible.

I use celery and peppercorns as well. That's it. A la Alton Brown, except I add garlic:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec.....ecipe

I am a chicken soup purist!

edited because I've no clue why I would have made that anonymous.

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:29 pm
Yes, dill and parsley optional!

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:38 pm
Heard from my SIL that if u boil the water first then add chicken in a wrap n boil bag the soup willl stay clean. I don't have patience to wait for water to boil but put turkey necks, onion and​ garlic in bag. Aside for very little scum my soup is mamash clear (and golden!)
I also put celery root, parsnips and parsley root, carrots and squash. I'll occasionally put in a sweet potato or turnip but really love it with just other veggies. I put sea salt and white pepper and simmer for hours.

WastingTime

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 2:43 pm
No time to read the thread but I use only bottoms I use 3-4 bottoms but don't know how big my pot is so I guess that doesn't help - first chicken and water- skim the top, add veg (Carrots, garlic, celery, beet) big spoon of salt cover pot and simmer. I don't simmer forever or the chicken falls apart- maybe 1-2 hours. Then I add the dill for 15 min, take out the dill add more salt and pepper and drop in kneidelach. I think chicken soup is one of those things that its hard to give 'recipes' for- you kinda gotta get hte hang of it yourself.
Going to put mine up now!

Super Mom

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:49 pm
Can't believe no one has suggested hawaj. It's not for everyone but it's worth a try.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 3:59 pm
the problem is in my family we have a disagreement about what is good chicken soup. I like tons of vegetables, my husband thinks it doesn't taste like chicken soup, he prefers less vegetables more water- oh well Sad

all is good

Post Thu, Mar 23 2017, 4:04 pm
Didnt read them all but did a/o say a bit of sugar? Id say thats my secret ingredient
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen