Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's your secret to a good chicken soup?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 11:16 am
Sweet potato and ginger root! Add best flavor. And then of course the basics - chicken bottoms (much more flavor than chicken bones), carrots, whole onion, turnip.

morningsickness

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 1:18 pm
My very simple- basic israeli-easy-shmeezy Chicken soup recipe:

So, if any of yoiu ladies are last minute ppl like I am, cooking chicken soup for hours just isn't an option on these short winter Fridays. I start making my soup at about 1 p.m. and it's done by 15-16 p.m. I boil it again right before shabbos so that it's hot enough on the blech.
This is the basic-no-nonsene-classical chicken soup. It tastes great, just like Bubby's soup ( though my Bubby has probably never made chicken soup in her life, but y'know what I mean..)

at least one chicken thigh and bottom
a kg of chicken necks (less will do the trick too)

2-3 carrots
1 big zuccini
1 big onion
4-5 garlic cloves

at least 1TBSP salt

optional: add any or all of the following
fresh dill
hawayag' yemenite spice for the soup
2-3 small potatoes
3 stalks of celery With the leaves!

Boil all ingredients. Lower flame and simmer for as long as you want, but I'd say at least an hour. No need to skim soup, if you are really bored on Fridays, you may certainly do so.

Bon Appatite!!

etky

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 1:55 pm
I have something that looks like a big tea infuser.
I put fresh celery leaves, parsley, allspice berries, whole black pepper corns and a bay leaf inside it and place it in the pot after the soup comes to a boil. I leave it in as the soup simmers. When the soup is done I take it out and discard the leaves/seasonings.
Sometimes I will leave out the allspice and bay leaves and use fresh dill instead.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 1:58 pm
my secret is TONS of parsnips and a whole celery. Also a small onion to give it flavor. The right amount of salt makes a huge difference.

smileyface:)

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 3:26 pm
so............
we put in two chicken peices on the bottom
then we cut up
carrots (4)
parsnip (2)
3 potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
2 pieces ocelery
1/2 butternut squash
1 whole onion peel included (gives it a stunning gorgeus color)
and then here is the kicker
we put in 2 tomatoes - it gives gorgeus color and tastes great!!!

people always ask what the secret ingrediant is and we only tell them after

then we put dill, garlic powder, onion powder, dash of pepper, and salt

we then boil for 1 1/2 hours with pot on and simmer for 5

YUMMMMMMMMMMMM

iyar

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 3:51 pm
So many posters, so many chicken soups!
So for whatever it's worth- here's my take:
Must have basics: Chicken (obviously), fresh onion (one is enough for a large soup), fresh garlic cloves (at least 4-6 but try even more, especially for a big soup), celery stalks (don't skip this), carrots (the big fat soup carrots are best), parsley root, salt, peppercorns.
I don't think I saw parsley root in other posts, and it really adds depth and flavor. Parsley root is not the same as parsnip; ask for it at your local grocer! Parsnip has a completely different taste, which some people do enjoy as well. Parsley greens are a poor substitute, but will work if you can't get the root.
Other optional ingredients: fresh ginger (a small piece adds a nice bite); a small tomato cut in half or a small squeeze of lemon juice (the acidity cuts the "chicken-y" flavor some people don't like); green pepper (adds a distinct flavor, check it out, start with a half); sweet potato (will obviously make the soup sweet, as does adding too many carrots, you can start with less than half a sweet potato and see if your family enjoys); fresh dill (nice!), zucchini (doesn't add much flavor, but some family members love to eat it), a few fresh button mushrooms (same as above).
For a richer soup you might want to add a beef neck bone or a piece of flanken. It will need a long time to cook, and may add an unappetizing grayish "foam" to the soup. Cover well with water, add onion, garlic, salt, bring it just to a simmer, and let it barely simmer for an hour. Skim off "dirt" that rises to the top. Then add chicken, vegetables and continue cooking.
The main secret to a rich soup is not to add too much water. The ingredients should barely be covered with water. If you have a lonely chicken bottom or two floating around in a big pot your soup won't have that great flavor you're looking for. Just as a general rule, for a rich soup you should not add more than two cups of water for one chicken bottom, or 8 cups of water for a medium chicken. Also, don't boil the soup! Simmer gently, uncovered for 2-3 hours.

Another mom

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
so many ideas. cant wait to try them. I never used parsley or dill. is there a big difference? they look pretty similar.
do I only use these fresh?

first thing I'll try is cooking on simmer overnight.

thanks ladies.

Yes fresh! When I'm out of dill and use only parsley it's not the same smell (maybe not the same taste either).My mom A"H always used dill. That makes it chicken soup by me!

Another mom

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 4:22 pm
Also I swithched to half turkey necks - half chicken, it's gr8! I see so many wrote sweet potato, I must try it!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 4:27 pm
What is parsnip called in Israel?

iyar

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 4:59 pm
Parsnip is called "gezer lavan" - white carrot!
Parsley is "petrozilia", but you might hear people say "petrushka".
Israelis will probably tell you to use "koosbera" which is cilantro, in your soup.
Personally, I think that's a terrible idea, but you know what they say about ta'am v'reiach...

etky

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
What is parsnip called in Israel?

פארסניפ, believe it or not...
However, it is not as widely available as parsley root - שורש פטרוזיליה- which is very commonly used in chicken soup here.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 5:12 pm
iyar wrote:
Israelis will probably tell you to use "koosbera" which is cilantro, in your soup.
Personally, I think that's a terrible idea, but you know what they say about ta'am v'reiach...

Gezer lavan is the correct name but recipe sites more commonly just use פארסניפ.
Like ginger is often referred to as ג'ינג'ר rather than זנגוויל
When I was learning to cook I once made the mistake of putting cilantro in my soup instead of parsley. I didn't realize there was a difference embarrassed
I actually love cilantro now (took me a while to acquire a taste for it) but not in my chicken soup....

anony

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 5:20 pm
Just to stress what has already been said: the longer the cook time, the richer the soup! The veggies that I use that I don't think were mentioned yet (but I think add a lot of flavor) are celery root and leek. Otherwise the veggies I include are carrot, celery, onion, turnip and parsnip. Dark chicken has more flavor than white, and including necks/giblets or or backs/bones would also increase flavor. Again, more veggies and more cook time really helps! Good luck!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 5:49 pm
iyar wrote:

Thanks. I don't recall ever seeing gezer lavan. Is it bought in a pre-checked package or off the shelf?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 5:58 pm
For a different kind of soup, my friend gave me this recipe:

Large pot
Lots of chicken
Large onion
Bunch of bay leaves
Chunk of fresh ginger root
Carrots
Salt

Let it simmer for hours. It's extremely fragrant and tasty. As is.

To make it into a real Chinese soup you could strain it and then add soy sauce, honey, and hot spice to taste. You can put in kreplach(wontons) with fresh sliced scallions.

It comes out delicious and very authentic.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 6:07 pm
a tip for long cooking soup. Peel and cut up all the veggies thursday night and leave in a bowl of cold water overnight. They will be fine out of the fridge. Friday morning throw into pot with chicken and leave to cook until shabbos. Even if you work friday you can do this before work.

I use a ton of different veggies - lots of (10?) carrots, 1 swede/turnip, a few parsnip, 1 celery, 2 onion, 2 courgette, 2 sweet potatoes, 2 leeks... a few pounds of chicken bones, wings or I even use leftover baked chicken that I have frozen. I never use whole chickens, way too expensive and we don't like boiled chicken so it all goes to waste. I use a giant pot.

I put everything in at once, skim off scum and leave to cook.

Sometimes before shabbos I take out all the chicken and most of the veggies (except for carrots) and shred any meat and return to pot. This way I can use a smaller pot.

some people put soup powder in, but I never do.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 2:30 pm
I put chicken pieces into a net bag, along with a bunch of dill and a small piece of fresh ginger. Add to 8 qt pot one sweet potato, a few carrots, a few stalks of celery, 3 cloves of fresh garlic, a small onion, and a large green zuchhini. Salt and pepper to taste, and water to 1 inch from top of pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 hours.

It's what we call a "strong" chicken soup, rich and full of flavor.

ETA: I've made chicken soup with rutabaga added to the above, and the flavor is delicious.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 4:49 pm
sautee onions first. then add chicken and sear it for a bit. only then do you add water and the rest of the vegis (I also use a lot!). Tastes great. My guests always love it.

baschabad

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:57 pm
I quarter a big onion, and put in the flavorful veggies:
Carrots
Sweet potatoes
Butternut squash

And the ones that don't give flavor but I like in my soup:
Celery
Zucchini

As you can tell, it's going to be a sweet soup! Adding parsnip will add to the sweetness, so I sometimes do.

I put in a tablespoon of salt, freshly ground pepper (no measurement, sorry!) and whole garlic- one or two pieces. Then I use dill spice (lots) and chicken of course.

Usually I use one or two pieces- like a breast or thigh and polka piece. Sometimes I throw in the wings because they add to the flavor.

Over yom tov I put a whole chicken in, and because of the richness I was able to add water and recook it a few times without it tasting watery.

It doesn't take me long to make, which is important! I put the water on the stove and add the vegetables as I chop them. I actually chop double the amount because I use basically the same vegetables for my cholent. So I put half in the soup pot and half in the cholent pot. I put in the chicken last at which time I also put the rest of the chicken up to bake.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 8:35 pm
Ok--no laughing please. I have an electric range. When the soup starts boiling, I turn it down but then worry because it's not boiling that I'll get salmonella or something. Are you supposed to see bubbles when it simmers? Doesn't it all cook away if you don't cover it?
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen