Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Eating the end pieces of a loaf of bread, ok?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 7:21 am
Someone asked R' Chaim Kanievsky what he says about eating the end piece of the bread. He answered, "Zeh meod taim!"

myself

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
Someone asked R' Chaim Kanievsky what he says about eating the end piece of the bread. He answered, "Zeh meod taim!"

Interesting, as I recall reading an article about things that are Kashe Lashikcha and it mentioned that even though most people add olive oil to olives in order to 'take away' the kashe lashikcha issue, Rav Chaim holds that it is not sufficient and doesn't eat olives at all.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 7:26 am
amother wrote:

That's good enough for me.

eschaya

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 7:47 am
It's my favorite part, and the favorite of my mother and grandmother (so when all 3 of us are together, I have to give up on my coveted edge!). Doesn't seem to have affected our intelligence, though I do have more boys than girls so you never know...

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 7:58 am
myself wrote:
Interesting, as I recall reading an article about things that are Kashe Lashikcha and it mentioned that even though most people add olive oil to olives in order to 'take away' the kashe lashikcha issue, Rav Chaim holds that it is not sufficient and doesn't eat olives at all.

There's a clear source in the gemara about olives. I don't think the end piece of the challah is brought down anywhere. My daughter's halacha teacher personally asked R' Chaim about it and he said it's not a problem. That's good enough for me too.

mamita

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 8:23 am
Can I just asked what the words chukah chakakti gezeira gazarti vein lecha reshus leharher acharai have to do with Judaism?
We keep mitzvos because they are mitzvos commandments that connect us to G-D much like I do things for my spouse because I love him even though I don't get it. And G-D sometimes gives us limited minds a glimpse into His Infinite Wisdom with a simple explanation we can grasp. But don't fool yourself to think that you have Infinite Understanding. Gosh then you could play god!

moonstone

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 8:46 am
tigerwife wrote:
Pretty sure Ramban disagrees with this (Rambam's explanations on certain lavim, such as why we can't mix milk and meat) and holds that certain parts of the Torah are chokim- we are not meant to understand. Rational? Not really. But religion is heavily based on faith, anyway.

Anyway, for those ridiculing the concept- it's ok to learn a little. Just because you've never heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. No need to be shocked and start doubting Yiddishkeit- most of us do learn something new every day. Perhaps someone can post a source for the list of actions that are kashe lishikcha. It shouldn't really affect your life either way.

Learn something? You seem to be suggesting that this bread thing is a part of Judaism that I never knew about but am lucky to be learning about now. But all I'm actually learning is that some people believe in nonsense. When I was a kid, and one of my siblings was lying on the floor watching TV, my grandmother would get upset if I stepped over them. "You'll stunt their growth!" she'd say. Well, that was nonsense, and I put this "demon bread" in the same category.

Although... I once left an end piece of bread in the toaster too long and it got burned. Hey, maybe that was the evil work of the demon! Twisted Evil

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:20 am
myself wrote:
Yes, that rings a bell.

I was sceptical when I read the reasoning supplied by gp2.0's source as I remembered there was a straightforward explanation. Thanks for triggering my memory.

And OP, since the concern is for men, I imagine you can continue enjoying your ends.

?

The "straightforward explanation" is in the first paragraph of the quote. He just defines kashe leshikcha as "detrimental to Torah learning" rather than "forgetting Torah."

The question that followed was, why bread? What does the end of bread have to do with Torah learning? And that's the long explanation.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 9:35 am
http://halachayomit.co.il/en/R.....=3295

http://www.dafdigest.org/Horay.....3.pdf

(The conclusion across the board seems to be that this is NOT a prohibition, but rather a segulah/friendly advice.)

First Lady

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 11:37 am
Can someone explain the olive concept?
I'm genuinely asking as I don't understand what it is.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 12:18 pm
Quote:
The Talmud lists ten things which are detrimental to one's understanding of the Torah. One of them is eating bread not completely baked.

This is interesting. I know some people *love* underdone challah (personally, I can't stand when the bread is gooey and underdone...but to each his own!)

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 12:25 pm
I don't know how it affects Torah learning but eating underbaked dough is detrimental to one's innards.

I can't possibly be the only person here who thinks the Talmud has a sense of humor and is using underdone bread as a metaphor for "half-baked" ideas.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 2:04 pm
So we also don't eat the ends of the challah for forgetting Torah purposes, but I heard once that if you eat both ends then it is okay. Similar to the olive oil with the olives. Has anyone heard of the eating both ends?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
So we also don't eat the ends of the challah for forgetting Torah purposes, but I heard once that if you eat both ends then it is okay. Similar to the olive oil with the olives. Has anyone heard of the eating both ends?

I've heard that if you dance the hora before eating the end it's okay.

yenta2

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 2:27 pm
In our family there was a joke that if you eat the end you will have a bad shviger

Miri7

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 2:49 pm
In our family it is known that eating the ends of bread causes one to lose their seichel. This knowledge was brought from Europe where we were Gerer chassidim but no longer chassidish now

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 2:56 pm
Miri7 wrote:
In our family it is known that eating the ends of bread causes one to lose their seichel. This knowledge was brought from Europe where we were Gerer chassidim but no longer chassidish now

It's "known"? You mean you have anecdotal evidence? As in several intelligent cousins from several different generations all ate bread heels and turned into driveling idiots?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 3:41 pm
I couldn't read through this entire thread, but I have never heard of this. This sounds crazy to me. I wonder what stream of Judaism you are all from.

Miri7

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
It's "known"? You mean you have anecdotal evidence? As in several intelligent cousins from several different generations all ate bread heels and turned into driveling idiots?

No - but no one in the family would dare try it!!

I guess my sarcasm didn't come across in my post. It is "known" as are all the other superstitions that we have brought with us. We also suspect that some of our elders are making new ones as they seem to increase as time passes. But yes, in our family it is generally accepted that doing certain things invites the shaydim to come and do bad things to you.... I'd actually never heard of any textual basis for this one.

The younger generations generally just regard these as quaint superstitions left over from the old world.

estelle

Post Tue, Nov 01 2016, 4:57 pm
My father doesnt eat the ends of challah. I vaguely remember asking him about it and he said something to the effect of - when we bentch and tell Hashem thank You for giving us a satisfying meal, we want to show Him that we are so satisfied that we even have some left over.
Something like that.
But gosh the amount of people who think its ok to mock something that's obviously a widespread minhag just because they havnt heard of it and think it doesnt make sense! im genuinely shocked!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions