Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Non Jew Cooking with My Pots - Status?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 5:23 pm
If a non Jew cooked using my pots, is there a problem with them? Do I have to kasher them because of bishul alum?

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 5:26 pm
It depends what they cooked, but if it's something that isn't edible raw and is a chashuv food (something that a king or President would eat), then I believe that not only the food is non-kosher, but also the pot. You should ask a Rav, but you may need to kasher the pots depending on what it was that the non-Jew cooked.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
If a non Jew cooked using my pots, is there a problem with them? Do I have to kasher them because of bishul alum?

My Rabbi says yes, you must kasher.

rfeig613

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 5:32 pm
Did you light the fire? Did you light a fire that she lit from? Did you stir the pot before the food was maachal ben drusai?

tymama

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 6:25 pm
My baby nurse used my frying pan and rabbi said to throw it out

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 6:27 pm
So she cooked scrambled eggs in one pot, and warmed up food in the other pot. I wasn't there then when she did it.

I guess that would be food fit for a king's table...

How should I kasher it?

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 7:13 pm
You said "warmed up." Does that mean it was already cooked previously, and she was just reheating it? If so, I believe that's okay and doesn't render the pot non-kosher, and even the eggs, I don't know if that's considered fit for the king, though it may be.

That's why I'd strongly advise you to speak to a real-life Rabbi, who will rule based the individual circumstances of your case, which can make all the difference.

mille

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 8:10 pm
Ask a rabbi. Another important point is whether or not you have a pilot light. Some consider that to be lighting the fire, so if you lit the pilot light on your stove, it may not be bishul akum. Obviously it's safest to kasher or toss the pots. But if you want a real answer, you gotta ask and give all the details.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 02 2016, 8:19 pm
you can ask halachah1@gmail.com they answer all question
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions