Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Personal Space

little_mage

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 2:08 pm
Anyone have any good resources for teaching about personal space? My 5 year old ds has mild ASD. We're not talking about hitting, pushing, etc., but about standing too close, climbing on adults' laps, that sort of thing.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 3:01 pm
My son had this issue and his play group morah gave him the analogy of we all have a bubble and if your bubble gets too close to the other persons it will burst. We still talk about our bubbles a few years later. It seemed to help him understand.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 3:35 pm
I wrote a song called "Don't Pop My Bubble."

The kids really like it.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 4:15 pm
Look into the Incredible Flexible You series. My son's school uses this series of books to help cultivate social skills, and there's a whole unit devoted to personal space. They explain the bubble concept the previous poster mentioned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)