Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Any work-from-home jobs?

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 4:36 pm
Does anyone know of a work-at-home job? I want to "work" and not be a telemarketer/sell things....
p.s. I have a degree in IT, but not much experience in a specific field.

supermom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 4:57 pm
that is my dream to work at home.

hardwrknmom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 6:00 pm
mine too Smile

proudmom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 6:06 pm
what about having a play group at home?

Chanie

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 7:34 pm
0613 wrote:
Does anyone know of a work-at-home job? I want to "work" and not be a telemarketer/sell things....
p.s. I have a degree in IT, but not much experience in a specific field.

same here. I also studied Computer Sciences. I loved it, but it was very mind consuming and wouldn't be able to be in that field and have my children's attention too.

stem

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 9:36 pm
Working at a computer job at home is SO hard with kids, unless you get babysitters, in which case you might as well work in an office. I used to work in a computers job at home till my baby got too big and needed my attention. Now I work extremely part time doing writing and translating jobs in the evenings after the kids are sleeping.

IndyMom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 11:44 pm
Stem, what kind of translating jobs do you do?

stem

Post Mon, Jul 18 2005, 11:53 pm
I translate articles and stories from Hebrew to English for a children's magazine.

chavamom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 12:52 am
I know a lot of people doing medical transcription at home these days.

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 1:28 pm
stem, I would send my kids out to daycare- my daughter can't be home alone all day with me anyway- she needs to play with other kids. there's a huge difference working at home than at an office:
-no commuting
-work in your own environment, don't have to worry about the hashpaah of the non jewish office environment
-don't have to worry about office "politics"
-can work in pajamas! (not that I would but it's so annoying when the baby spits up on me right as I'm about to leave to work)
-usually the hours are more flexible
so that's why I want to leave my office job and work at home...
chavamom, last year I looked into medical transcription a little. it may be an option for me, but you have to spend some $ on training and it could take a few months- year to train.

any other ideas Idea Question

1stimer

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 1:59 pm
web design!?

supermom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 2:07 pm
[quote="0613"]--can work in pajamas! quote]

now that I would do, why not be as comfortable as possible if you have to work.

queen

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 2:52 pm
1stimer wrote:
web design!?

but she'd need extensive training for that........
0613 is looking for something with minimal training. (I think)

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 2:56 pm
she said she has a degree in IT (information technology ie.. computers) so maybe it wouldn't be so hard to learn. Learning how to do web design is the first step, you have to find a client or employer who will pay you to work at home.

1stimer

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 3:19 pm
exactly mom912 she said she has a degree in IT ... and anyway I didn't say she has to do web design. It was just a suggestion. sheesh!

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 3:45 pm
About working at home, some things to know:
- You have to be the type of person who can focus on work and not get distracted by your bed, the laundry, the phone etc.. Look at your time as work time. It's great to take advantage of the conveniences of your home but if you have a deadline you need to be able to focus.
- Be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for the right job. You may start something and it won't work out and you may have times without a job. If this happens, still keep your kids at the babysitter (if applicable) and spend your day looking for work. It takes a while to find the right situation for you.
- About working in PJ's. It's great to be comfortable but if you go day after day and never get dressed you will start to feel gross.
- There are no sick or vacation days. Every so often you need to take a day for yourself or you will go crazy and burn out.
- It is easy to get lost in your work since it is right there and find yourself working all day and night. This is OK once in a while but not always or your family will suffer.
- When you do find the right job for you at home it is GREAT. If you have little babies you can nurse/pump in convenience, you can adjust your schedule to fit your family needs and you have the freedom to do what you want, when you want.
Hatzlocha!

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 3:56 pm
thanks mommy912! I've been looking and haven't found the "right one" yet.

IBR

Post Tue, Jul 19 2005, 9:23 pm
I m right now finishing medical transcription if you have a good head and can memorize this job is for you if you want more info here is a link: http://affiliates.thevlc.com/c.....l.com
this place is called virtual learning center and it has an affiliate program if anyone signs up through me I will get a littlebit of money so if you want to do it PM me for more info and I can send you material too or give you tips. this is not easy but hey nothing is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics