Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Would you voluntarily travel with an infant?
1  2  Next

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 6:06 pm
I may have an opportunity to travel to Israel when my baby is 10 months old, IY"H

My two biggest concerns are:
1) Why do I want to jeopardize his health by letting him fly on an airplane for such a long time?

2) How will I deal with him for a week in Israel while he is on a wacky time schedule?

#1 is the bigger issue for me... I am petrified of illness. He had a fever recently and he was sooooo miserable and I couldn't bear it...why would I put him in a germ incubator voluntarily?

(BTW - I'm not OCD about germs, but I do know that I often get sick after flying, and he's so tiny!)

This would be for a vacation, so a voluntary pleasure trip... So I don't know if I should chance it.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 6:08 pm
Your pediatrician is a far bigger germ incubator than your proposed trip.

But bottom line, pleasure trips are supposed to be, well, pleasurable.

If this one is too stressful, doesn't it defeat the purpose?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 6:19 pm
Are you nursing?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 6:21 pm
LOL imasinger...

No, not nursing... does that make a diff?

Teomima

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 6:22 pm
You asked what would others do. I would, and have, traveled with infants. Sure, it's not easy. But germs were not my concern (and were not an issue). Yes, your baby's schedule (and your own, for that matter) will get out of wack. Both while abroad and again when you return home. And being in an airplane with a baby, who cries, makes dirty diapers, crawls, etc. is always a challenge. But I'm of the opinion that A: my life didn't stop when I had kids and B: I want to share my experiences with my children. Show them the world. Not that they remember trips taken as infants, but now, looking back, they do enjoy the pictures, and that helps develop an adventurous spirit, which I love.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 7:14 pm
Personally after years of travelling with babies and toddlers. If I had the choice I don't fly past four, five or six months. When they are familiar with their home and the security of where they sleep. When they get really messed and stressed and have no tolerance for cramped planes. I also hate being at the mercy and moods of the stewardess. While some airlines have fantastic service to moms and babies others are a nightmare.
Bezras Hashem I am due soon and I know that if I can help it I won't be flying anywhere after 3-4 months until baby is old to leave baby behind...
I also know that other people have really travel flexible and placid babies. Mine tend to be happy but very active and don't just sleep anywhere any time.
Also not only flights can make them ill. Change in routine, lack of sleep, change in diet (or moms for a nursing baby) and change in water.
That's my personal preferances

justforfun87

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 7:47 pm
we went to Israel with our son when he was that age just as a vacation. We had a great time. Difficult parts were car seat issues, some tours. We had a friend set us up with her married sister to babysit so we could do old city tours etc.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 7:58 pm
If you're not nursing then it's easier regarding pumping and worrying about bottles/midnight feedings( bAby won't make a fuss about mommys milk at 2 am).
My friend is going to EY for a wedding and her baby will be 10 months. She is leaving him behind. She said there is no way she has koach to entertain him on the plane and dealing with the mixed up schedule.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 8:12 pm
I certainly wouldn't travel without my 10 month old. I'd rather risk my baby running a cold for a few days, being kvetchy on my vacation, and getting off schedule than leave such a tiny baby who still needs his/her mother for a whole week. I think it's too long for such a little baby to be separated form his/her mother.

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 8:18 pm
Teomima wrote:
You asked what would others do. I would, and have, traveled with infants. Sure, it's not easy. But germs were not my concern (and were not an issue). Yes, your baby's schedule (and your own, for that matter) will get out of wack. Both while abroad and again when you return home. And being in an airplane with a baby, who cries, makes dirty diapers, crawls, etc. is always a challenge. But I'm of the opinion that A: my life didn't stop when I had kids and B: I want to share my experiences with my children. Show them the world. Not that they remember trips taken as infants, but now, looking back, they do enjoy the pictures, and that helps develop an adventurous spirit, which I love.

This! Life doesn't stop with kids. It may be challenging but that's life.
Personally I couldn't leave a baby behind, it wouldn't be a pleasure trip.
But to each his own.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
LOL imasinger...

No, not nursing... does that make a diff?

Yes. Because that would be a huge factor for me. There's a HUGE amount of other needs involved when you leave a nursing baby on the other side of the world from you for a week.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 9:33 pm
It seems my opinion is not common but that's okay. I found it stressful to travel with babies. I always felt more calm when a baby can crawl around and has his toys etc. On a plane, its stressful because my babies wouldn't want to stay put for all those hrs. And I would not be able to deal with that.

. but, every baby is different. Some babies sit calmly etc. Also, someone said her life doesn't stop when she has kids, so for her, she can manage on a plane. Everyone has different tolerance levels.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 9:46 pm
Culturedpearls wrote:
This! Life doesn't stop with kids. It may be challenging but that's life.
Personally I couldn't leave a baby behind, it wouldn't be a pleasure trip.
But to each his own.

Same here. I wouldn't enjoy myself for a minute without my baby. I'd be worrying the entire time.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 10:04 pm
So am I a bad mom for considering leaving my non-nursing 12 month old and almost 3 year olds with my 4 parents for 4 days?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:
So am I a bad mom for considering leaving my mom nursing 12 month old and almost 3 year olds with my 4 parents for 4 days?

No. If you leave them by
Loving family members that they know well then there is no issue there

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 11:34 am
My 12 Months old baby LOVES my parents and my siblings. He is there almost every day and they love him and care for him. Yet if he doesn't see me for a few minutes or if he sees me leaving he'll start crying for me. A baby needs his/her mother more than anyone. Some babies are used to staying by babysitters or family and might not have an issue staying. You are the only one who can predict how your child might be.

I am another one who would not be able to enjoy a trip without my baby. Neither would I enjoy it with a feverish baby..

I know I shouldn't be saying this because it's non of my business, but unless you're leaving your baby by a place where he/she is used to staying without you, please don't leave her/him.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 12:18 pm
Thanks for you imput. We have a 2 and 1 yo and I love them so much but dh doesn't think vacation will be very enjoyable with them. I will miss them but they are comfortable at my parents house. I'm a little conflicted though.

sweetpotato

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 2:18 pm
Traveling with a 10 month old is hard but not for the reasons you state. It's hard to take a long flight at that age bc most are starting to be really active and curious by that point and won't be happy just sleeping or staying strapped in a seat. But they aren't yet old enough to be entertained by toys, books, or movies.

That said, I've taken my kids at those ages on long flights/trips and survived. I wouldn't have had anyone with whom I could leave them and I still nurse at that age so it's either they come with me or I don't go.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 2:55 pm
Another factor you should take into consideration is whether you will have the opportunity again to go in the not-so-distant future. DH and I took our 7 month old DD to Israel, and we had an amazing time. She is now turning 7, and I don't see us being able to get there again any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, the flight was awful (one way) - DD had an ear infection, I had a sinus infection, the flight was crowded with many families so I could not get a bassinet seat, she threw up all over me... but on the plus side, our return trip was amazing. She was well, I was well, it was a less full flight, we got a bassinet seat and she slept 8 hours and had somewhere to sit and play the rest of the time...

Basically I had the worst and the best experiences that you can expect, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 3:06 pm
amother wrote:
So am I a bad mom for considering leaving my non-nursing 12 month old and almost 3 year olds with my 4 parents for 4 days?

The understanding and therefore needs of each age is different. An almost three year old with beloved familiar grandparents for four days is not the same as a 12 month old. But you know your 12 month old and the relationship with parents. It can definitely work
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics