Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Stunned and can't stop thinking about this all day
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:12 pm
So early afternoon before I had to pick my kids up from school, I ran into Whole Foods for a few things. As I'm standing in line, I notice a baby, probably right around 12 months if I had to guess, in the cart in the aisle right next to me. She is wearing a t-shirt. That's it. No bottoms. Like, no diaper. Her bare skin, her private parts just totally exposed for the world to see and rubbing up against the filthy shopping cart. And I'm looking all around - it's a busy store - to see if anyone else is noticing this; if I'm the only one who finds this insane. The woman with the baby - no idea if it was mom or grandmother or babysitter - looks fairly normal. She's got all her clothes on. Doesn't seem drunk or anything odd. And I'm just totally flipping out about this. What could posses someone to take a baby out like that? And although I can't think of anything I could have done about it, I do really worry for the safety of that child because if someone thought taking a baby out like that was okay, who know what else they might think is okay. I told DH. He say it's weird and gross but I'm overreacting. Am I???

ohmygosh

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:14 pm
Eww. That's gross.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:16 pm
That is weird and gross, I agree, but maybe she's a new age super holistic alternative crunchy person who read some blog about how diaperless babies are more healthy, more sensitive, and potty train intuitively at super young age, and how being exposed to germs makes them more antibodies etc etc. I'd be more surprised to see it at, say, shoprite than whole foods btw if you catch my drift.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:17 pm
Very disturbing. I'm with you.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:23 pm
Ashrei wrote:
That is weird and gross, I agree, but maybe she's a new age super holistic alternative crunchy person who read some blog about how diaperless babies are more healthy, more sensitive, and potty train intuitively at super young age, and how being exposed to germs makes them more antibodies etc etc. I'd be more surprised to see it at, say, shoprite than whole foods btw if you catch my drift.

I thought about the intuitive potty training thing.... but was thinking, hey, at least put down a towel or put the kid in a long dress. Never thought about the germ exposure angle thing though..... The woman didn't have that hippie/ crunchy look about her.

cnc

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:25 pm
One of my kids had a severe severe diaper rash. Her skin was literally peeling off and my doctor told me that she needs to walk around with nothing on her bottom for a day or two.
I did it and it finally cleared up- but I wouldn't leave the house like that....

No idea if this was the case here but that was the first thought that came to my mind.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:27 pm
cnc wrote:
One of my kids had a severe severe diaper rash. Her skin was literally peeling off and my doctor told me that she needs to walk around with nothing on her bottom for a day or two.
I did it and it finally cleared up- but I wouldn't leave the house like that....

No idea if this was the case here but that was the first thought that came to my mind.

If that's the case, you stay home. You had the sense to do that. Why couldn't this woman? This behavior was disgusting and inappropriate.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:33 pm
I don't find it disgusting to others since it's just a baby but I do find it disgusting for the poor baby. Their very private sensitive areas are touching all kinds of filthy germs and diseases. Gosh why would anyone do that to their baby? Seems like an easy way to get an infection.

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:38 pm
Very unsanitary. Maybe the baby had an accident in the car and had no change of clothing, and the mother didn't want to cancel the shopping trip?

rowo

I would also be very disturbed to see that.

Only thing I could think of is maybe the kid just had a diaper explosion and the carer had no clean diapers or clothes to put on the child and needed to rush in the the store for something.

But yeh, if I saw a kid like that my mind would be racing with a million worrisome thoughts.

Even if it was harmless, poor kid - it's cold

groovy1224

Not only is that gross for the baby..But EVERY OTHER CHILD THAT SITS IN THAT CART!! Or even the next innocent person who takes that cart and puts her apples there, or her purse..

That is soooo gross I just can't.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:42 pm
rowo wrote:
I would also be very disturbed to see that.

Only thing I could think of is maybe the kid just had a diaper explosion and the carer had no clean diapers or clothes to put on the child and needed to rush in the the store for something.

But yeh, if I saw a kid like that my mind would be racing with a million worrisome thoughts.

Even if it was harmless, poor kid - it's cold

But WF sells diapers. Granted they're pricey and feel like a brown paper bag. But still.... in that situation anyone would buy them and put one on, no?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:47 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I don't find it disgusting to others since it's just a baby but I do find it disgusting for the poor baby. Their very private sensitive areas are touching all kinds of filthy germs and diseases. Gosh why would anyone do that to their baby? Seems like an easy way to get an infection.

I think the germ aspect is the most gross, but I also find the naked baby aspect gross . It's highly inappropriate to flash genitalia in front of someone else's face if they didn't ask for it. Even if it's a baby's.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Nov 03 2016, 11:51 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I think the germ aspect is the most gross, but I also find the naked baby aspect gross . It's highly inappropriate to flash genitalia in front of someone else's face if they didn't ask for it. Even if it's a baby's.

Or even if they did ask, mommy. Even if they did.

LOL

Jstar

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 12:10 am
Total crazyness. Shopping carts are among the dirtiest and germy things out there! Poor baby. If I was in that caregivers situation I would have gotten some napkins, paper towels, my own jacket, whole foods diapers (they have a baby section, right?) etc... there is always SOMEthing u can do!! I'm SURE the manager could have helped also.

I hope the baby is unaffected by all this, and we have a major opportunity to practice our creative dan lkav zchus talents towards the caregiver.

tichellady

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 12:22 am
I wouldn't do it but not so weird to me. Lots of babies around the world are naked in public. Although it's not a common thing to see in the US

5mom

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 12:37 am
Any chance that the baby started out in a T-shirt and diaper and then pulled off her diaper by herself? I've seen little ones that age who strip in public. Maybe they were at the checkout and the mom just scooped up the old diaper and figured she'd put on a new one when they got to the car.

I'd be unsettled from a hygiene perspective, but there's nothing inherently disturbing about a naked baby.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 2:24 am
Stunned and can't stop thinking about this all day

Granted, it's gross, but I do think you are overreacting.

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 2:50 am
tichellady wrote:
I wouldn't do it but not so weird to me. Lots of babies around the world are naked in public. Although it's not a common thing to see in the US

In grocery shopping carts that are meant to hold food?

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Nov 04 2016, 4:22 am
I bet you that the baby had just made tons and the mom didn't have a diaper to change her into . She might have even been waiting in line to pay for one but meanwhile had no other way of covering the baby... That's what I would assume.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette