Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Take on plane vs take in lift
1  2  Next

jkw

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 6:21 pm
We get three bags each on our aliyah flight. Making aliyah first and lift to follow. Going to a furnished rental while our apartment is being renovated.
What would you take on the flight? Jewelry and silver? Blankets and towels? Favourite kitchen tools? Clothing for more than one season? What did I leave out?

Help me plan this out....all advice welcome.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 7:34 pm
Mazal tov and welcome home!

I would take winter clothing (how much depends on where you are moving) jewelry and a few kitchen tools, but see if you can borrow linens locally, as they take up a lot of space. Take all of your personal documents in your carry-on, and make photocopies for another family member to carry.

Don't forget the little stuff - prescription and OTC meds, a few first aid items so you don't have to run to the pharmacy the first time someone needs a bandaid, extra glasses/ contact lenses if needed, printer cartridges, USB cords, chargers, books and/or Kindle.

Don't bring school supplies, if you have school age kids. Those are best bought here.

Most importantly, bring patience and a sense of humor.

aquad

Post Sat, Nov 05 2016, 9:29 pm
Absolutely take all valuables- jewelry, silver candlesticks, etc- on the plane, and in your carry-on. There are so many horror stories of people losing their valuables.

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 12:18 am

Last edited by essie14 on Sun, Nov 06 2016, 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 12:21 am
Anything you send on a lift should be items you can replace. Everything valuable should be taken with you on the plane. All documents should be scanned and stored in the cloud and bring originals with you.
Don't bring any linens or kitchen items. You can buy a cheap pot in every supermarket and manage until your lift arrives. Do you have friends you can borrow linen from or something? Bring clothes for the current season and climate. Your lift should arrive within 2 months.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 1:00 am
I'm curious as to why people are nervous sending valuables on a lift? Aren't you insuring it? Our lift was insured -- we had to list everything that went and how much it was worth in advance. We definitely sent all our silver, etc. -- if it got lost or damaged on the plane we wouldn't have gotten our money back, but on the lift we would have. Of course if things have sentimental value and can't be replaced that may be a motivation to take it with you, but otherwise just make sure you understand your rights under the insurance coverage.

Towels and linens would depend on if they are included in your rental. "Furnished rental" in Israel often just means appliances and beds -- not necessarily things like linen and towels or even pillows and blankets. But as these things are very bulky I would definitely do what I can to arrange something temporarily here rather than pack them.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 2:46 am
Are you bringing kids? If so, make sure that you pack favorite toys and blankets.

Bring your best waking shoes, with lots of support! You will be running all over the place, getting to know your new city, filing papers, etc. Don't pack dresses, pack skirts and shirts that you can mix and match. You'll feel like you have twice as many clothes with you. Stick with basic colors, like black, white or cream, and one accent color. I like purple and white with black. One pair of black Shabbos shoes that you can walk in will do you.

If you have any particular comfort foods, bring those, or at least make sure to pack a bunch in you lift. Shelf stable items like canned foods and spices are great. Don't bother packing any grains, as there's a good chance they could become infested somewhere along the way.

I'm a pretty adventurous person, but I find that having some comfort items makes all the difference when settling in.

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 3:00 am
m in Israel wrote:
I'm curious as to why people are nervous sending valuables on a lift? Aren't you insuring it? Our lift was insured -- we had to list everything that went and how much it was worth in advance. We definitely sent all our silver, etc. -- if it got lost or damaged on the plane we wouldn't have gotten our money back, but on the lift we would have. Of course if things have sentimental value and can't be replaced that may be a motivation to take it with you, but otherwise just make sure you understand your rights under the insurance coverage.

Towels and linens would depend on if they are included in your rental. "Furnished rental" in Israel often just means appliances and beds -- not necessarily things like linen and towels or even pillows and blankets. But as these things are very bulky I would definitely do what I can to arrange something temporarily here rather than pack them.

I did send bulky valuables on my lift - like silver Chanukiah. But not jewelry or documents.
All of that came in my carry on - never out of my sight.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 3:09 am
Documents I definitely would not send on a lift -- it is too much of a pain if it gets lost, and anyway I didn't want them inaccessible for so long. IIRC I kept them in my carry-on, actually -- just a large envelope with birth certificates, marriage certificate, etc. -- passports we needed with us anyway.

I can hear bringing jewelry in a carry on, too. It's not so big/bulky to take and would be upsetting to lose even if you get the money back.

I was addressing the "silver candlesticks" and "everything valuable" type of ideas. I just can't imagine how we would have fit our silver candlesticks and kiddush cups in our luggage, nor why we would want to. In addition to the fact that I think they would be much more likely to be damaged in a suitcase that is tossed around rather than in a box in a lift that doesn't move once the lift is packed until it gets to your new home.

digitalema

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 3:14 am
I wouldn't take anything on the flight that you can easily buy in Israel. A lot of us remember when basic things were hard to buy or really expensive in Israel but today you can get almost anything in Israel. So things like toiletries can be left behind. And if you want to buy your favorite brand that can go in the lift and you can use local products till the lift comes. Better to utilize the space in the suitcases for your clothes.

jkw

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 4:01 am
Thank you so very much all of you! This is exactly what I needed. BTW, we have already seen the furnished rental so I know what is there. Keep the suggestions coming!

Heard that in winter warm comforters are immportant. Buy in Israel or bring in extra suitcase? Any recommendations for brands of down free?

I hate the cold where I am...

jkw

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 4:17 am
Next question:

To settle in "properly," I want to buy the following items that will work in Israel (220V, right?):

coffee grinder
coffee maker (not Keurig)
slow cooker
microwave
rice cooker
immersion blender

You can see where my priorities lie, can't you? Wink
All suggestions of brands and where to buy are welcome. We will be in the Jerusalem area.

achayl

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 4:58 am
funny, we've been wondering about the same things...

I think I'll pack a box ( we have enough of those around the house now) and pack in it my leichter and silver things with a towel or something and take that as a suitcase.

I was also thinking of going to the site that services sems and yeshivas in Israel to order any things I may need as soon as I get there.

Hatzlacha!!!!

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 5:46 am
jkw wrote:
Thank you so very much all of you! This is exactly what I needed. BTW, we have already seen the furnished rental so I know what is there. Keep the suggestions coming!

Heard that in winter warm comforters are immportant. Buy in Israel or bring in extra suitcase? Any recommendations for brands of down free?

I bought great comforters at IKEA here in Israel.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 5:50 am
Keep in mind that the lift can take 2-3 months until you get it. Anything you need on a day to day basis try to fit in on the plane.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 8:38 am
essie14 wrote:
I bought great comforters at IKEA here in Israel.

Swiss Dreams have really good ones.

israeliMD

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 9:16 am
jkw wrote:

We found excellent and affordable comforters at foxhome. They have a card you can purchase for around 60 shekels that will get you a lot of savings if you need to stock up on things for a home. The prices at foxhome and similar stores are higher than the more discount places but we have found with the sales and higher quality it makes sense to shop carefully there (making sure to purchase items during the frequent sales!).

water_bear88

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 10:06 am
We're very happy with our Ikea synthetic comforters.

My immersion blender is Kennedy- wedding present so I don't have a good estimate of how much they should cost, but it's in regular use and has held up for several years now.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 10:12 am
achayl wrote:
funny, we've been wondering about the same things...

I think I'll pack a box ( we have enough of those around the house now) and pack in it my leichter and silver things with a towel or something and take that as a suitcase.

I was also thinking of going to the site that services sems and yeshivas in Israel to order any things I may need as soon as I get there.

Hatzlacha!!!!

The quality is terrible. A lot of DS1's things (towels, sheets) didn't even make it through the year. I'd recommend shopping once you arrive.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Nov 06 2016, 11:10 am
Listen, within the first 24 hours I would head to IKEA and pick up 1 bath sheet per family member and 1 face towel per family member as well as sheets, linens, comforters and PILLOWS. You can also head to kitchen and storage to supplement with whatever you may need like 2 big glass bowls for salad or a wok...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions