Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Venting

suomynona

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 4:37 pm
Before I took off any vacation days in the summer, I made sure to confirm how many vacation days I have left this year so I can take off a few days around yom tov time. I made sure to leave myself enough days to take off 1/2 a day erev rosh hashana, yom kippur, succos, 1 day chol hamoed and hoshana rabba. (luckily we are off on yom tov itself because it's a frum company). Not that I took any major vacation during the summer. I just took off 2 afternoons a week for the few weeks that my son's babysitter was off.
Anyway... I just found out that vacation days are accrued by months I work and since I'm going to be out for 2 months this year on maternity leave, I lose 2.5 vacation days. Which means I have 1 measly day left. That means I have to work chol hamoed when my son is off from playgroup, in my 9th month, and while making yom tov. I'm so frustrated.
If I knew I would be getting disability from the state, I would maybe take off a few weeks before my due date which includes succos. But because of my situation, working in Israel for an American company, I won't know if I'm eligible for anything for certain until I'm already on leave.
Sad

stem

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 5:23 pm
Stand up for your rights! Your boss, I'm assuming is frum and knows that you don't need those vacation days just to sit on the beach. Tell him you specifically asked in advance and it's just not fair to inform you now that you're losing 2.5 days.

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Aug 29 2007, 5:38 pm
It's ashame you aren't in RBS, I would send you some food. I have been kugel making like crazy this week. Your son could play with my boys. They love babies.

suomynona

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 5:59 am
stem wrote:
Stand up for your rights! Your boss, I'm assuming is frum and knows that you don't need those vacation days just to sit on the beach. Tell him you specifically asked in advance and it's just not fair to inform you now that you're losing 2.5 days.

I asked my boss to make an exception for me since I didn't know about it before, but she said it's not possible. My boss is a frum women with a bunch of kids but she's really powerless to give me this kind of extra privilege. The higher ups couldn't care less why I want vacation even though they happen to be frum.

suomynona

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:01 am
arita430 wrote:
It's ashame you aren't in RBS, I would send you some food. I have been kugel making like crazy this week. Your son could play with my boys. They love babies.

It is a shame. I would love to send my son over to play with your kids!
I'm also stocking up the freezer already, so hopefully food won't be such a big issue.

hila

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:03 am
Take a day or so as sick ( call it mental health days).
And by Israeli law you are entitled to 40 hrs for doctors appointments and tests etc when you are pregnant.

Beshaa tova

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 10:13 am
Oh, I'm so there with you! I just had some issues putting together my maternity leave calendar. So many rules and regulations are not making it look as good as I thought it would Sad
I have to use leave for R"H and all sukkos, too. B"H Y"K is on Shabbos, so I'm off anyway. So I'm really hoping to give birth right before/on sukkos so I can kill two birds with one stone! If not, then I'll have to use leave without pay for sukkos to store up my annual leave for after the baby is born.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 1:04 pm
suomynona, like I told you, I really feel bad for you. This is so frustrating. Being a full time working mother is no picnic and this is just one situation to prove it! Maybe do like what someone else suggested- just take a sick day if you really can't manage? Or how abt getting a girl to watch your son for those days Choel Hamoed or won't your sister be around to help? It's so annoying and frustrating. Thinking of you!

Ima'la

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 2:16 pm
Don't know if an american company will let you do this - but I think Israeli companies will let you go into "minus" with your vacation days. (The one I worked for a few years ago let people do that.) Do you think they could let you have a couple extra days now if you agree to forgo accruing days the first couple days you come back from maternity leave?

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 2:45 pm
Yes, you accrue monthly, but that shouldn't mean you can't take the time off. We have a new girl at work...started August 1 knowing that she's getting married in September. So between her wedding(s...don't ask) and the chagim, I think she's using all her vacation time in her 2nd month... And this is at a company that is closed over chol hamoed! (BTW, by law, in Israel, they HAVE to be closed yom tov, frum or not.)

suomynona

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 3:02 am
I actually have 2 sick days but I can only use them when I'm sick.
Maybe I'll use them closer to my due date. I'm sure I'll be able to say I'm not feeling well without lying then.
My only option is to borrow vacation days from next year, which I don't want to do. I always need all the vacation I can get. Or I can make up the time, which I certainly have no time for.

chen

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 9:10 am
will they allow you to take the time off without pay? that's what I had to do when I first started working. I was hired in the summer and you couldn't take vacation until you had worked 6 months. Even if I could have taken vacation, I would have accrued 2 days max, which isn't enough for all the yomtovim, which were all in the middle of the week that year. Legally they had to let me take time off for religious observance, so I took the time off without pay. The loss of pay hurt, but there was no other option.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics