Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
MILL BASIN!
1  2  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 8:48 pm
Does anyone have or know information about the community in mill basin (Brooklyn)?

I would like to know what kind of families live there?

What shuls? Mikva?

My kids go to bnos yisroel and chaim Berlin. Will we be happy there??

Help!

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 8:57 pm
There are a couple of families here who send to Chaim Berlin, not sure about Bnos Yisroel. There are many, many shuls, but you would probably fit best in Rabbi Rappaport's shul. There is a shabbos/yt/inclement weather mikveh, and we're a 7 min drive to mikvaot in flatbush and Marine Park.

The community is very diverse. Firstly, it's mostly a non jewish neighborhood. Secondly, among the jewish population, we have secular israeli, left wing and right wing MO, a few Chabad families, plenty of JPF, and some yeshivish. There are also a bunch of sefardi families that fit all over the spectrum. I'd say yeshivish families are in the minority, but I hear that more are moving in. It's predominantly MO and left wing yeshivish among younger families.

Seeing as you don't live that far, perhaps spend a shabbat or 2 in the neighborhood to see if you would like it. There's no way for us to know if you would be happy here! I'd invite you myself if I didn't have 7 people busting out of my 3 bedroom house Smile Whether or not you'd like it here though depends on what you want and value in a community.

You can message me if you want more specific info; I've lived here for over 10 years.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 9:42 pm
Would love to hear more about mill basin. If anyone has anything more to add, please do!! Houses are barely affordable in midwood area. With 5 kids, 1 bathroom, it's getting tough. Need a house.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 07 2016, 10:44 pm
Is Mill Basin in Bergen Beach? Or are these two distinct areas?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 3:32 pm
Thanks Nicole for the information! We're very excited about mill basin.

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
Is Mill Basin in Bergen Beach? Or are these two distinct areas?

Mill Basin is right next to Bergen Beach. A lot of times we refer to this as the Mill Basin/Georgetown/Bergen Beach community since all 3 areas are within walking distance of each other, within walking distance to all shuls, and are within the eruv.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 6:53 pm
Thanks, Nicole!

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 6:47 pm
Bump, I'd love to hear info too...

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
Bump, I'd love to hear info too...

Me, too.
My dh wants to move to Mill Basin. We live in Crown Heights.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 9:12 am
Anyone interested in the neighborhood can PM me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 10:01 am
We'll be moving soon to mill basin IY'H!
We are a typical frum normal family! Come join us!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 10:48 am
What is the typical house like in Millbasin? Are most houses fully attached, semi attached or fully detached? Are they mainly the typical small three bedroom houses that you find in Flatbush. Also what is the price range for the houses. How far is the drive to Chaim Berlin elementary?

nicole81

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
What is the typical house like in Millbasin? Are most houses fully attached, semi attached or fully detached? Are they mainly the typical small three bedroom houses that you find in Flatbush. Also what is the price range for the houses. How far is the drive to Chaim Berlin elementary?

There's every type of house. Seriously. They range from the upper 400s to the multi millions. The more affordable are the three bedroom semi attached ones but there's a lot of variety depending on your budget.

The drive is probably 15-20 minutes depending on traffic, but there is a bus to chaim berlin afaik.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:04 am
amother wrote:

We're buying a semi detached house, 3 bedrooms upstairs, 2 in the basement. Huge backyard. We're paying in the 5's. My boys go to chaim Berlin. They have busses that go there. Also its like a 10-15 min drive to chaim Berlin.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:07 am
Are there two family houses in Millbasin? What are the frum areas in MillBasin that have the more affordable houses? I want to check out the area.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:08 am
Wow, sounds nice! Does everyone hold by the eruv? Or is it like the Flatbush one, that some don't hold of it?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:14 am
I am yeshivish, my son is in Chaim Berlin and Im totally priced out of Flatbush/Midwood. Where do the Yeshivish families send their girls to. I am trying to get a feel for the area.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:22 am
I am normal, yeshivish as well. My daughters go to bnos yisroel! There are not a lot of yeshivish families there now. Its mostly israeli or chabad, which is ok. But there is a big push for chaim Berlin families to move there. The houses are definitely more affordable. I couldn't touch Flatbush.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:39 am
Good to know there is my crowd of ppl there. My daughter is still in preschool but Bnos Yisroel is my first choice school when we have to apply next year. How does the quality of life compare to Flatbush. Is there parking? Is there a grocery and pizza shop? Are the "affordable" houses there the same layout as the typical Flatbush three bedroom house. Are the yards any bigger than in Flatbush. When someone new moves in on the block are they noticed by the neighbors? Is there more of a sense of community?

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 12:43 pm
What about kosher supermarket/s?

Would we have to travel to another neighborhood to get our weekly orders?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating