Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why is third party "a vote for Clinton/Trump"?
Previous  1  2

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 4:21 pm
Miri7 wrote:
I think when people say it's a vote for the one you dislike the most they are specifically talking about swing states and close races.

That's why some people are "trading" votes via an app. The idea is to build up third party candidate/party support without risking electing the person that both of the voters don't want elected. That's Trump in the following example.

For example -
Pennsylvania voter wants to vote third party, but realizes that she lives in a swing state and REALLY doesn't want Trump to win. She pairs up with a California voter (where Clinton is pretty certain to win) who wants to vote for Clinton.

The CA voter votes third party (the PA voter's first choice) - this builds up third party votes without risking electoral college votes because CA is going for Clinton. It's "safe" for Clinton supporters to vote third party in CA because Clinton is (fairly) certain to win CA.

The PA voter votes for Clinton. In PA, a vote for Clinton "counts" more because it's a swing state and the Clinton-Trump race is closer there.

So both voters work to achieve their goals:
1 Avoid Trump getting elected
2 Support third party
3 Support Clinton in key state

This is fascinating. I've never heard of it. But then there is no guaranty that a total stranger on the internet is going to vote the way they say they will.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 4:28 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
This is fascinating. I've never heard of it. But then there is no guaranty that a total stranger on the internet is going to vote the way they say they will.

Its a risk you have to take.
Although you can ask for selfies for proof now that the ban has been removed LOL

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 5:02 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Its a risk you have to take.
Although you can ask for selfies for proof now that the ban has been removed LOL

Argh it's not something I'd be comfortable with. I'm certainly in favor of eliminating the electoral college and eliminating super delegates, when it comes to voting reform. But for now I'd just like to see the old voting rights act brought back intact.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 7:36 pm
seeker wrote:
The third parties aren't going to win, but if they get over 5% represent in this election then they are entitled to certain advantages in the future that could prevent the type of two-party sweep we have now. Right now there are so many people hating the fact that they need to choose between these two thoroughly messed up parties, that they need to understand that the only way to change that is to vote for the leading third party.

I agree. If the libertarian party gets at least 5%, they get access to federal campaign funds for next time. It's about time someone starts to chip away at the limited two party system. A large portion of young voters registered independent. They deserve to be represented.

It's not a horse race. The object isn't to vote for who you predict would win, but who you honestly think is the best choice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics