Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ALL CLAD pots need advice
1  2  Next

cbg

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 4:07 pm
Are they worth the expense
http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....n%3D1|1|3|5
There's a sale now I paid $375.

Anyone have this set

Last edited by cbg on Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

mol

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 6:25 pm
I don't have this set. I have the stainless set thats not non stick and I'm very happy with them. imho I think its worth it. love how my food cooks and love how they look. I would love to buy this set for milchig. how did you get it for 375?

shoshana2

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 8:09 pm
I have the All clad stainless for 25 years and I LOVE them. They are totally not a necessity but they were a gift and I greatly enjoy cooking wth them.
They are like new 25 yrs later.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 8:23 pm
I have a small All-Clad saute pan that I've had for over 25years, it is not nonstick. It's a nice little pan.

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 4:48 am
mol wrote:
I don't have this set. I have the stainless set thats not non stick and I'm very happy with them. imho I think its worth it. love how my food cooks and love how they look. I would love to buy this set for milchig. how did you get it for 375?

Bloomingdales in store, it's regularly $700, but they are having a cookware sale.
Is this a good buy?

I had accumulated $365 on a gift card from small gifts people gave me over the years so basically I had to pay $10 and the tax.

They are good for induction cooktops
I don't have induction, but I'm moving soon and was thinking of getting an induction (gas is not possible where I live).

Is induction a pain to cook with? Does the pot need to be exactly in the right place for it to start? On glass tops the pots do move a little?

I could go for Caphalon pots for less, and a regular glass stove top?

Need your advice.

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:59 am
Also interested

Miri7

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:17 am
I love my stainless all clad. Also considering getting these for milchig

sweetpotato

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:49 am
I don't think this is a good deal for a couple reasons. All Clad is known for their high-quality tri-ply stainless steel pots and pans, not anodized nonstick, like this set. Second, any nonstick coated pan (no matter what the coating is made from, whether PFOA free or not) will wear off eventually (no matter how carefully you take care of it, make sure to only use non-metal utensils, etc.) Nonstick coatings are simply not indefinitely durable. So eventually the pots will start to flake and loose their non-stickness (probably 3-5 years, with regular use).

Anodized aluminum is an electrochemically processed aluminum, which makes it harder and more durable than regular aluminum. Aluminum conducts heat quickly, so these pots may get hotter more quickly than other pots and you'll have to be careful about burning. But they are a durable material (besides the nonstick coatings).

It looks like all the pots/pans have nonstick coating, which I don't really see the need for. A nonstick skillet/frying pan is useful, but nonstick coating in a soup pot, etc. is not typically needed or useful for regular cooking. With nonstick coatings, it can be harder to brown onions nicely, get anything crispy, etc. And cleaning can be tricky because some nonstick coatings can't go in the dishwasher, and you can't use metal scrubbers on them.

I also would definitely not pay that much for pots that come with glass lids (hard to clean, lower quality than metal lids). Even if it's marked on sale, it's likely way overpriced (and stuff from Bloomingdales is going to be marked up).

All Clad's stainless steel tri-ply is great, though. You can also get a great set of stainless steel tri-ply that is almost as good from Tramontina (check out Walmart and Amazon for Tramontina).

Do you need a full set of pots? A downside to buying a set, vs. individual pieces, is that they sometimes stick in less popular sizes/styles in the set, or you may end up getting more or less than you need for your own kitchen. What pieces do you need? If you're trying to build a set, I'd recommend tri-ply stainless steel saucepans/pots, and getting inexpensive nonstick frying pans if you need nonstick (because you have to replace them after a few years anyway, it's not worth spending a ton of money on a nonstick pan).

cbg

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 2:39 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
I don't think this is a good deal for a couple reasons. All Clad is known for their high-quality tri-ply stainless steel pots and pans, not anodized nonstick, like this set. Second, any nonstick coated pan (no matter what the coating is made from, whether PFOA free or not) will wear off eventually (no matter how carefully you take care of it, make sure to only use non-metal utensils, etc.) Nonstick coatings are simply not indefinitely durable. So eventually the pots will start to flake and loose their non-stickness (probably 3-5 years, with regular use).

Anodized aluminum is an electrochemically processed aluminum, which makes it harder and more durable than regular aluminum. Aluminum conducts heat quickly, so these pots may get hotter more quickly than other pots and you'll have to be careful about burning. But they are a durable material (besides the nonstick coatings).

It looks like all the pots/pans have nonstick coating, which I don't really see the need for. A nonstick skillet/frying pan is useful, but nonstick coating in a soup pot, etc. is not typically needed or useful for regular cooking. With nonstick coatings, it can be harder to brown onions nicely, get anything crispy, etc. And cleaning can be tricky because some nonstick coatings can't go in the dishwasher, and you can't use metal scrubbers on them.

I also would definitely not pay that much for pots that come with glass lids (hard to clean, lower quality than metal lids). Even if it's marked on sale, it's likely way overpriced (and stuff from Bloomingdales is going to be marked up).

All Clad's stainless steel tri-ply is great, though. You can also get a great set of stainless steel tri-ply that is almost as good from Tramontina (check out Walmart and Amazon for Tramontina).

Do you need a full set of pots? A downside to buying a set, vs. individual pieces, is that they sometimes stick in less popular sizes/styles in the set, or you may end up getting more or less than you need for your own kitchen. What pieces do you need? If you're trying to build a set, I'd recommend tri-ply stainless steel saucepans/pots, and getting inexpensive nonstick frying pans if you need nonstick (because you have to replace them after a few years anyway, it's not worth spending a ton of money on a nonstick pan).

I appreciate what you are saying about Bloomingdales, but I have to use my gift card. I thought pots would be a good idea.
I never had a good set of pots.
Basically I spent $35 on the pots
Maybe I should go for a cheaper set. Calphalon, cuisenart, and buy something else with the balance.
BTW, the set had the exact pieces I usually use.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:41 pm
sweetpotato wrote:

I agree with a lot.of these points. If it's exchangeable, I would exchange it for a cheaper good quality set and use the remainder for something else. Did they have the regular stainless steel?

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:07 am
cbg wrote:
I appreciate what you are saying about Bloomingdales, but I have to use my gift card. I thought pots would be a good idea.
I never had a good set of pots.
Basically I spent $35 on the pots
Maybe I should go for a cheaper set. Calphalon, cuisenart, and buy something else with the balance.
BTW, the set had the exact pieces I usually use.

I doubt there's a major quality difference at all between this non-stick anodized Calphalon set, and the All-Clad set you got, but the Calphalon is half the price:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....%3D92|BOOST%20SAVED%20SET%26spc%3D694%26rsid%3Dundefined%26pn%3D1|8|11|694

Glass lids, same material, etc. I'd exchange for that, and then you have another $100 or so to spend on something else.

It's not that the All-Clad set was a bad buy, per se, but you could make your gift cards go further without sacrificing the quality if you go with a different brand. All-Clad is known to be expensive and it's worth it for their stainless steel tri-ply but not other materials.

cbg

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:12 am
CAn someone here help me put together a set
1. Must be from Bloomingdales since I have $365 gift card
2. Final cost after I pay taxes and everything no more than $400
3. If I can purchase more than just pots that would be great.
4. Quality is VERY important, my pots now are warped on the bottom, dented, covers don't fit well. They don't heat up evenly because they don't
Sit flat on the glass top.

Pieces I need/want
Meat
Big pot - not a stock pot
Big sautée pan with high sides and a cover that can also go into the oven
Frying pan
Smaller pot for small quantities of rice/pasta, but not too small.

Dairy
Big/med pot - not a stock pot
Frying pan

It can all be in one set. I can use silicon handle covers to differentiate

There is a cookware sale going on now that I want to take advantage of

TIA

cbg

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:20 am
sweetpotato wrote:
I doubt there's a major quality difference at all between this non-stick anodized Calphalon set, and the All-Clad set you got, but the Calphalon is half the price:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....%3D92|BOOST%20SAVED%20SET%26spc%3D694%26rsid%3Dundefined%26pn%3D1|8|11|694

Glass lids, same material, etc. I'd exchange for that, and then you have another $100 or so to spend on something else.

It's not that the All-Clad set was a bad buy, per se, but you could make your gift cards go further without sacrificing the quality if you go with a different brand. All-Clad is known to be expensive and it's worth it for their stainless steel tri-ply but not other materials.

Sorry I didn't see your post.
Is there a difference in quality between calphalon Classic and calphalon signiture.
Are cuisinart pots any good.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:27 am
cbg wrote:
Sorry I didn't see your post.
Is there a difference in quality between calphalon Classic and calphalon signiture.
Are cuisinart pots any good.

Here's a chart of the different types on nonstick Calphalon cookware:

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US.....rison

Signature has 3 layers on nonstick coating (so it will be more durable/last longer) AND you can use metal utensils with it. Classic has 2 layers, and you need to use plastic/nylon/wood utensils.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:28 am
cbg wrote:
CAn someone here help me put together a set
1. Must be from Bloomingdales since I have $365 gift card
2. Final cost after I pay taxes and everything no more than $400
3. If I can purchase more than just pots that would be great.
4. Quality is VERY important, my pots now are warped on the bottom, dented, covers don't fit well. They don't heat up evenly because they don't
Sit flat on the glass top.

Pieces I need/want
Meat
Big pot - not a stock pot
Big sautée pan with high sides and a cover that can also go into the oven
Frying pan

Dairy
Big/med pot - not a stock pot
Frying pan

It can all be in one set. I can use silicon handle covers to differentiate

There is a cookware sale going on now that I want to take advantage of

TIA

Do you want nonstick for all of these? Or just some? Nonstick frying pans?

cbg

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:41 am
sweetpotato wrote:
Do you want nonstick for all of these? Or just some? Nonstick frying pans?

Don't know, currently only my frying pans have non stick.
But I can't make crunchy rice in my big pot because of this.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:09 am
"Big sautée pan with high sides and a cover that can also go into the oven"

Do you want something like this?

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....n%3D1|3|58|193

(I have this pan and it's great for sautéing lots of stuff. 12" diameter)

Or like this:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....n%3D2|3|31|193

or like this:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/.....n%3D2|3|8|193

All stainless-steel All Clad can go in the oven, and it's incredibly well made and durable.

I can suggest a few other pieces. For frying pans, if you want nonstick, I would not get anything at Bloomingdales and instead get some nonstick Tramontina pans-- good quality, cooks well, but not expensive (because you need to replace these pans every few years).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009.....41860

Stainless steel All Clad is worth buying though because it can last basically forever.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:13 am
As a brand, I LOVE All-Clad. I cannot speak to the non-stick models though. All of mine are just stainless.

Chickpea

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:22 am
MiracleMama wrote:
As a brand, I LOVE All-Clad. I cannot speak to the non-stick models though. All of mine are just stainless.

I bought an All-Clad copper-clad stainless steel saute pan and am afraid to use it because I don't know how to clean it. Can't use Bar Keeper's Friend on it, as recommended, and don't know what else to use. So meanwhile, it's just sitting in the box.
How do you clean it?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:42 am
Chickpea wrote:
I bought an All-Clad copper-clad stainless steel saute pan and am afraid to use it because I don't know how to clean it. Can't use Bar Keeper's Friend on it, as recommended, and don't know what else to use. So meanwhile, it's just sitting in the box.
How do you clean it?

Dish soap and a sponge, using the green side of a scotchbrite (sp?) when necessary. But care for copper may be totally different. I have no idea. Contact the company directly to ask for guidance on proper care.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen