Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Do we have a winner yet?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 12:24 am
agreer wrote:
No, I listened to this on the radio this morning... They can actually pick anyone they want.

I'm pretty sure it's from the top 3 candidates

treestump

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 12:25 am
Is it true that the Canadian immigration website crashed tonight? Wink

tryinghard

treestump wrote:
well... the market has definitely lost tonight:

CNBC is reporting that NASDAQ and S&P 500 have halted futures trading for the time being.

Dow futures had fallen more than 800 points.

One theory about that is that nobody really expected him to win - so this is just a correction, not a freak-out

sequoia

Clinton just got Nevada.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 12:46 am
tryinghard wrote:
One theory about that is that nobody really expected him to win - so this is just a correction, not a freak-out

Or just that the market doesn't take well to surprises and will get a grip soon.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 12:49 am
seeker wrote:
Or just that the market doesn't take well to surprises and will get a grip soon.

Can someone explain in simple terms how it works? What is it about this election that makes the market fluctuate so severely? And how does that affect us?

Laiya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 12:57 am
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/.....ction

sweetdimples

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 1:16 am
I'll try to explain, groise momma. Basically, there are various factors that can influence an investors feeling about the worth of stock. National world events very often affect investors' outlook. Be it war, political unrest etc. I remember listening to stock reports on the day that Osama bin Ladin was captured; the Dow was up by a significant amount of points...

tryinghard

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 1:21 am
sweetdimples wrote:
I'll try to explain, groise momma. Basically, there are various factors that can influence an investors feeling about the worth of stock. National world events very often affect investors' outlook. Be it war, political unrest etc. I remember listening to stock reports on the day that Osama bin Ladin was captured; the Dow was up by a significant amount of points...

It's not just this, though. "Futures" markets have to do with investors trying to predict what will happen... so when things happen that conventional wisdom is not expecting...

sweetdimples

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 1:38 am
Expectations of the future become a self - fulfilling prophecy.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 2:03 am
Wow. He really did win after all.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 2:08 am
And it doesn't even look like it will be nearly as close as anyone thought.
I knew this was going to be interesting in any case, and it didn't disappoint - it's been a very interesting night.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 2:15 am
treestump wrote:
well... the market has definitely lost tonight:

CNBC is reporting that NASDAQ and S&P 500 have halted futures trading for the time being.

Dow futures had fallen more than 800 points.

Well, gold took a nosedive when Clinton was acquitted and shot up with Trumps lead.
Trump is better for the international financial market.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 2:35 am
And we're done...

m in Israel

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:17 am
seeker wrote:
And it doesn't even look like it will be nearly as close as anyone thought.
I knew this was going to be interesting in any case, and it didn't disappoint - it's been a very interesting night.

Well, the popular vote seems very close -- 47.5% to 47.7% and since it's mostly the west coast that is still being counted, it may very likely end up with Hillary ahead in the popular vote. So that is a pretty close election, even though it is not super close in the electoral college.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:47 am
Iymnok wrote:
Well, gold took a nosedive when Clinton was acquitted and shot up with Trumps lead.
Trump is better for the international financial market.

the stock market went down with trumps predicted win. When that happens, people invest in gold.

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:13 am
I'm shocked

water_bear88

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:21 am
What I don't understand is why everyone was relying so heavily on national polls, rather than polls in potential swing states. I've been getting my news from 538 all along, and the 1:2 odds Trump had in the last week really weren't so far-fetched...
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics