Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Considering becoming a bcba

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 9:48 pm
Can anyone share their experiences working as a bcba? I'm really fed up with my current job as a Seit. What is the salary and job opportunities for bcbas in bklyn? Also, how difficult is the coursework ? Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 9:57 pm
from google:

Average Salary for Certification: Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA)

Job Title National Salary Data
Board Certified Behavior Analyst 643 salaries $40,726 - $74,130
Behavior Analyst 286 salaries $40,228 - $77,276
Clinical Director 107 salaries $56,030 - $92,057
Clinical Supervisor 54 salaries $48,214 - $75,049

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 10:10 pm
My friend is a BCBA in Lakewood. She is making $90/hour in Lakewood. She found a job immediately after graduating.

joystock

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 11:22 pm
You should do more research on this. As of January many insurance companies are cutting finding for aba services, so it may be hard for bcbas to find jobs....

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 08 2016, 11:36 pm
joystock wrote:
You should do more research on this. As of January many insurance companies are cutting finding for aba services, so it may be hard for bcbas to find jobs....

Can you tell me more about this? I have not heard that. The trend over the last year or so was that more insurances were covering ABA and some states were moving toward requiring it to be covered.

I forgot the details (wrote them down somewhere) but in NY it just got harder to become a BCBA. I had been considering it before but they changed the requirements to be more specific than the BACB and it just went from difficult to impractical for me.

The pay tends to be good and there tends to be demand simply because supply has not caught up yet. Pretty sure that as long as the requirements stay difficult there will probably be enough jobs for those who qualify.

thanks

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 10:01 am
It's also important to consider if you would like the job. Does it suit you? My daughter is a BCBA, and she's successful because she loves the work she does.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 9:07 pm
Thanks everyone. Any more specific details.

joystock

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:09 am
I'm in the field, but not a bcba. What I heard is that the insurance companies will be stricter about which kids are eligible for services and how much money they give. .. I can try to find out more info for you

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:35 am
I'm in Lakewood and was just talking to someone who manages an ABA program and she said insurance companies were writing blank checks for ABA therapy. One insurance is covering it 100%. She said she is seeing that era ending soon, it is not sustainable.

Now it looks like there is lots of opportunities in ABA field, but not sure what the long term forecast is.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:53 am
Does the board of ed cover aba therapy as well? Or are the people working for agencies such as Yeled Vyalda etc getting paid through insurance?

debsey

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
I'm in Lakewood and was just talking to someone who manages an ABA program and she said insurance companies were writing blank checks for ABA therapy. One insurance is covering it 100%. She said she is seeing that era ending soon, it is not sustainable.

Now it looks like there is lots of opportunities in ABA field, but not sure what the long term forecast is.

That era is over. Insurance companies are cracking down big time. One agency in Lakewood hasn't been reimbursed in months. The companies are also refusing to sell a policy for one child in a family, which may or may not be legal, because they realize that ABA is the underlying reason for the purchase. This whole house of cards is going to tumble down very soon.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 12:05 pm
debsey wrote:
That era is over. Insurance companies are cracking down big time. One agency in Lakewood hasn't been reimbursed in months. The companies are also refusing to sell a policy for one child in a family, which may or may not be legal, because they realize that ABA is the underlying reason for the purchase. This whole house of cards is going to tumble down very soon.

Yup.

Maybe it will be different if Obamacare is dismantled, but right now, things are not great.

rikki 1

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:01 pm
Yup, I'm one of the ones that are losing insurance for my kid's ABA services (in lakewood). I may have to go the route of business insurance through my job which basically ensures I have to work just to pay premiums. Don't know what I"m gonna do....

rikki 1

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:02 pm
to clarify- my whole paycheck (part time job) will be just to pay premiums.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:48 pm
Sorry to hear that, rikkif. I wish you hatzlocha. Does anyone have facts or personal experience as a bcba in Brooklyn?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics