Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Donald Trump has won the 2016 election
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:16 am
youngishbear wrote:
Jones on CNN called it a "whitelash".

That is not the direction I want this country to go in, pale as my skin may be.

It was bound to happen.

People are tired for being made to feel badly for having conservative viewpoints.

The story of the underprivileged struggling immigrant is embraced by the media- the story of the hardworking middle class physical therapist from a nice religious family is sneered at.

Middle class Americans had enough of being told they were elitists for holding conservative views.

Yes, it's ok to want things that benefit you and your family. It's ok if you don't like to work hard just to see your money sucked up to pay for other people's things. It's ok to disagree with pop culture. Its ok to look out for your own family first and foremost. It's ok to hold old-fashioned ideals and values.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 11:24 am
gold21 wrote:
It was bound to happen.

People are tired for being made to feel badly for having conservative viewpoints.

The story of the underprivileged struggling immigrant is embraced by the media- the story of the hardworking middle class physical therapist from a nice religious family is sneered at.

Middle America had enough of being told they were elitists for their conservative views. It's ok to want things that benefit you and your family. It's ok if you don't like to work hard just to see your money sucked up to pay for other people's things. It's ok to disagree with pop culture. Its ok to look out for your own family first and foremost. It's ok to hold old fashioned ideals and values.

This. Exactly. I'm no trump fan, but I'm really glad he won.

nursemomma

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 1:25 pm
I'm so glad trump won. He may not know how to run a country, but I'm confident he'll figure it out. As opposed to Hillary, who is a politician- full of lies and smooth talk.
Imho, he was definitely the lesser of the two evils.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 2:56 pm
nursemomma wrote:
I'm so glad trump won. He may not know how to run a country, but I'm confident he'll figure it out. .

Seriously, can there be a more idiotic statement than this?!

You know, I'm so glad the local premed student is going to be my surgeon for a procedure I need soon. She may not know how to perform surgery, but I'm confident she'll figure it out while she's cutting me open.

leah233

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:00 pm
Maya wrote:
Seriously, can there be a more idiotic statement than this?! .

Yes . It goes as follows: The Democratic party caters to someone other than special interest groups and cares about hard working middle class white Americans.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:04 pm
leah233 wrote:
Yes . It goes as follows: The Democratic party caters to someone other than special interest groups and cares about hard working middle class white Americans.

How is this relevant to my comment about Trump's lack of experience, knowledge, and competency?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:11 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Well, let's see what changes a lot of supporters want:

I'm not so anxious for those changes.

Yup. Because Paul Ryan announced that in the first 100 days hate crime legislation will be repealed AND the government will officially be changing from constitutional republic to full blown democracy so that the untold, unwashed millions who agree with the above will be able to see all their dreams come true.
Rolling Eyes
Look, the RBSh"O runs the world and while I'm grateful for this malchus shel chesed I don't take it for granted for a moment. So who knows what could happen. But I don't know if we need to lose sleep contemplating worst case scenarios right now.

ETA: Not sure if I should edit or start a new post.
I don't mean to sound naïve, for all those who hear shades of 1930s Europe. But as scary as a Trump presidency is, please accept that many people found the prospect of a Clinton candidacy scary too. (Again, not saying who I voted for or wrote in besides, not Hillary.) We don't want an America where this is no nuance, and anyone who opposed gay marriage is as bigoted as a KKK member. We want the Iran plan examined and revisited and given teeth when violated if there must be some Iran plan. We don't expect any president, let alone DJT to be the Messiah and don't know how easily he'll be able to get his plans through but I do hope that any new insurance plan will truly allow people to keep doctors they like. I could go on but I'm tired - I didn't stay up late last night but woke up way too early this AM.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Nov 09 2016, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:18 pm
gold21 wrote:
It was bound to happen.

Middle class Americans had enough of being told they were elitists for holding conservative views.

Yes, it's ok to want things that benefit you and your family. It's ok if you don't like to work hard just to see your money sucked up to pay for other people's things. It's ok to disagree with pop culture. Its ok to look out for your own family first and foremost. It's ok to hold old-fashioned ideals and values.

that would make sense if trump was actually conservative and represented old fashioned ideals and values

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:20 pm
tichellady wrote:
that would make sense if trump was actually conservative and represented old fashioned ideals and values

People's expectations are low. They can live with someone who doesn't necessarily embody all their values. They just want someone who will more-or-less respect those values and stand up to the bullies who demean those values.

nursemomma

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:28 pm
Maya wrote:

You know, I'm so glad the local premed student is going to be my surgeon for a procedure I need soon. She may not know how to perform surgery, but I'm confident she'll figure it out while she's cutting me open.

If you look back at what I wrote, I was trying to bring out why I would vote Trump over Hillary. Not that I think he is so amazing, but compared to Hillary...
In regards to that specific statement, yes, I do believe he will, because a president doesn't act on his own. If he is smart enough (which I hope he is) he will seek council from those smarter and more experienced than him.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:31 pm
nursemomma wrote:
If you look back at what I wrote, I was trying to bring out why I would vote Trump over Hillary. Not that I think he is so amazing, but compared to Hillary...
In regards to that specific statement, yes, I do believe he will, because a president doesn't act on his own. If he is smart enough (which I hope he is) he will seek council from those smarter and more experienced than him.

And at least towards the end of the campaign, he actually sought and HEEDED advice. I found that very reassuring. I am excited about the team that he will have in place.

treestump

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:37 pm
Maya wrote:

Totally agree, but what does it matter? This opinion won. This is what more than half of Americans decided they want. This is it. Now that the premed student is performing surgery on America for the next four years, the question is - how will the patient fare and what will the damage be?

Perhaps the premed student will freak out at the sight of blood and hand over the reigns of the actual operation logistics to the surgeons in the operating theater standing by... Who knows what will be?

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:37 pm
nursemomma wrote:
If he is smart enough (which I hope he is) he will seek council from those smarter and more experienced than him.

Oh, you hope? Yes, that sounds like a solid plan of action. Good luck with that.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:40 pm
tryinghard wrote:
And at least towards the end of the campaign, he actually sought and HEEDED advice. I found that very reassuring. I am excited about the team that he will have in place.

You mean because he stayed on TelePrompTer for a few speeches?
His twitter account had to be taken away from him the last few days. That's why he wasn't shooting his mouth off. Hopefully someone will take away his presidential privileges as well. That's what would excite me.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 3:43 pm
tichellady wrote:

Trump represents the anti-media.

Its not that I dislike Hilary Clinton- she's a well spoken and accomplished female- but I would say that the biggest issue I have with her is the way she appears to be in cahoots with the media, which I STRONGLY STRONGLY dislike. The more celebrities that stumped for Clinton, the less I liked her. No, I'm not going to vote for her because Katy Perry told me to. Question: what does Katy Perry know about middle-class struggles? Answer: nothing.

As a conservative voter, the media represents everything I don't like about this country. It constantly bashes and pokes fun at my values and ideals, painting all conservatives as bigots, racists, sexists, homophobes, and islamaphobes. I'm tired of the lies. I'm tired of the way the media portrays me and people like me. I LOVE that Trump is anti-media.

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Nov 09 2016, 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total

chaiz

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 4:01 pm
Fox wrote:
People's expectations are low. They can live with someone who doesn't necessarily embody all their values. They just want someone who will more-or-less respect those values and stand up to the bullies who demean those values.

So we tackle bullying by electing someone who acts in a bullying manner?

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 4:20 pm
chaiz wrote:
So we tackle bullying by electing someone who acts in a bullying manner?

Sadly, that is sometimes the only effective strategy.

The progressive left in much of the Western world has become an unruly, spoiled child. Like the big kid stealing lunch money, it has become narcissistic. In such cases, the most effective lesson will be dealt by the kid who fights back rather than hand over his lunch money. He'll probably get in trouble for fighting, but he'd rather be branded as a fighter than give up his lunch money.

As I wrote elsewhere, we desperately need the progressive left, but not if it's going to be stealing lunch money. If nothing else, I hope Trump's election forces the left to re-calibrate and police its own ideologies and actions rather than inspiring more and more strident candidates.

chaiz

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 4:26 pm
Fox wrote:
Sadly, that is sometimes the only effective strategy.

The progressive left in much of the Western world has become an unruly, spoiled child. Like the big kid stealing lunch money, it has become narcissistic. In such cases, the most effective lesson will be dealt by the kid who fights back rather than hand over his lunch money. He'll probably get in trouble for fighting, but he'd rather be branded as a fighter than give up his lunch money.

As I wrote elsewhere, we desperately need the progressive left, but not if it's going to be stealing lunch money. If nothing else, I hope Trump's election forces the left to re-calibrate and police its own ideologies and actions rather than inspiring more and more strident candidates.

Not sure I agree with the bolded. And in other threads on the topic of kids bullying you also did not seem to agree with that sentiment.
I will say that I have seen liberals and progressives start to do some introspection. And I will say that there have been attempts to police some of the craziness that is part of the extreme left. Just because the right doesn't talk about it doesn't mean it does not exist.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:20 pm
treestump wrote:
Totally agree, but what does it matter? This opinion won. This is what more than half of Americans decided they want. This is it. Now that the premed student is performing surgery on America for the next four years, the question is - how will the patient fare and what will the damage be?

Perhaps the premed student will freak out at the sight of blood and hand over the reigns of the actual operation logistics to the surgeons in the operating theater standing by... Who knows what will be?

I am reassured that in fact, slightly less than half of America agrees with this. She actually won the popular vote.

If in the end this came down to gerrymandering, it makes it easier for me to swallow this humiliation. Americans are more or less good and decent... with a quirky political system that somehow respects and tramples on regional diversity, all at the same time.

Cheers. Cheers

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:54 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I am reassured that in fact, slightly less than half of America agrees with this. She actually won the popular vote.

If in the end this came down to gerrymandering, it makes it easier for me to swallow this humiliation. Americans are more or less good and decent... with a quirky political system that somehow respects and tramples on regional diversity, all at the same time.

Cheers. Cheers

Sigh.
I wish you would try to understand what brought people to vote for Trump instead of brushing it off.

This isn't about your candidate winning or losing. People genuinely are hurting and are turning to Trump and his unique approach to politics for relief and help.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics