Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
TRUMP WON!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:07 pm
chaiz wrote:
Fox, I really respect you and your views. But I really feel the need to speak out. I do not classify myself as a liberal and do not identify with some of the big issues the left has on their agenda. But how can anyone justify Trump's behavior? That is what is really getting to me. Do not give me this idea of marginalized, underserved, unprivileged people who have been messed up by the system. Plenty of Trump supporters are not that at all. Furthermore, even if they have been messed up by the defending, justifying and whitewashing of some of his crazy behavior is just too much. Holding your nose is not define by claiming that what he did was b'seder. Never mind the sheer hypocrisy of some of the allegations leveled at Hillary.

Very well said.

Laiya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:07 pm
Fox wrote:
Trump won because he attracted whites in the rust belt without losing too many votes from other groups. Apparently all those white rust belt voters who elected President Obama in 2008 and 2012 were miraculously transformed into white nationalists just in time to vote for Trump.

I completely get why Trump is unappealling. He is boorish and often insulting. I hope he improves. However, the progressive left and the Democratic Party now have a choice. They can pretend that Trump voters are nothing more than bigots and simply demonize them, or they can reflect on the reasons that so many good, tolerant people nevertheless chose to vote for an obviously problematic candidate.

I heard this on cnn last night, excellent point. That some significant number of the same people who just elected Trump, were the same ones who previously elected Obama.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:

Just 14% of people who identify as gay voted for Trump, according to exit polls. So I think that the idea of a fractured community that turned to Trump is just your own little fantasy.

amother wrote:
Trump also got only 8% of the black vote; Clinton got 88%. That's substantially more than Romney got (Trump), and less than Obama did (Clinton), but it certainly shows their disaffection with Trump.

Fox wrote:

First of all, exit polls have been giving significantly different results than other polls. The USC/LA Times poll showed Trump with as much as 19 percent of the AA vote. The gay press reports numbers ranging from 12 percent to 25 percent support for Trump.

Now, to be accurate, LGBT support for Trump is made up almost exclusively of gay white men -- another example of the difficulties of identity politics.

Nevertheless, if this is my own little fantasy, I seem to be sharing it with a lot of other people. The gay press is doing a lot of hand-wringing and explaining over all the deplorable gays who voted for Trump.
amother wrote:
p supporters. You weave and wobble and make things up as you go along.

First you claimed that one of the reasons that Trump one was that the gay community abandoned Clinton because she refused to use the magical words "radical Islam" with respect to the Pulse massacre. And because Clinton latched onto suggestions that the perpetrator was gay, which haven't been proven.

And you claimed that the gay community was very much fractured over this.

Except that between 75% and 88% of the gay community rejected Trump. That's pretty darned cohesive. So yes, this broad uprising of gays who declared that they could never support a woman because she wouldn't refer to "radical Islam" ... just doesn't exist.

Shhh.. Don't want to break it to you, but the reason that some gays voted for Trump is because there are conservative gays. Most wouldn't vote for anyone as repulsive as Pence, hence the large majority for Clinton. But being "gay" isn't monolithic. After all, I don't vote "straight," why would anyone else vote "gay."

[quote="amother"]
Trump won because the whites voted for him, particularly in the rust belt. And because he was actually able to attract women voters, notwithstanding his bragging about assaulting women. Not because any minority group held him in anything other than contempt.

Fox wrote:

Trump won because he attracted whites in the rust belt without losing too many votes from other groups. Apparently all those white rust belt voters who elected President Obama in 2008 and 2012 were miraculously transformed into white nationalists just in time to vote for Trump.

I completely get why Trump is unappealling. He is boorish and often insulting. I hope he improves. However, the progressive left and the Democratic Party now have a choice. They can pretend that Trump voters are nothing more than bigots and simply demonize them, or they can reflect on the reasons that so many good, tolerant people nevertheless chose to vote for an obviously problematic candidate.

White nationalists? Maybe that's what you think of them. I never said that. But, of course, you need to get in your little digs, and make things up.

Again, you agree that over 80% of blacks did not vote for Trump. At least. Yet you claim that there is some widespread, huge disaffection of African Americans with Clinton and the Democrats. The numbers just plain don't show it. What they show is that Clinton could not hold that group to the extend that Obama could. Not surprising.

Yes, everyone wants to know what happened. But what happened isn't your little fantasy of all the gays and blacks and Latinos saying "she didn't way RADICAL ISLAM! Let's vote for the p**** grabber."

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:09 pm
I think they are both terrible candidates and I have from the beginning. I personally have more issue with Hillary's lying and views of the middle east than with Trump's bullying, but I would not go so far as to say I support him.

With that said, I have never before seen such vitriolic disrespect post election from the losing party and its supporters. We get it, you are upset. You wanted a different outcome. So did I when Obama was voted in a second time but guess what? Hillary lost fair and square it is a democratic country and this time America rebelled against a regime that is familiar and chose something different.

I hope this dies down soon it is annoying and embarrassing to endure. Also, checks and balances. I think we will be ok.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:46 pm
amother wrote:
I think they are both terrible candidates and I have from the beginning. I personally have more issue with Hillary's lying and views of the middle east than with Trump's bullying, but I would not go so far as to say I support him.

With that said, I have never before seen such vitriolic disrespect post election from the losing party and its supporters. We get it, you are upset. You wanted a different outcome. So did I when Obama was voted in a second time but guess what? Hillary lost fair and square it is a democratic country and this time America rebelled against a regime that is familiar and chose something different.

I hope this dies down soon it is annoying and embarrassing to endure. Also, checks and balances. I think we will be ok.

I am not angry, just sad. Maybe I didn't get to that stage of grief yet, who knows.

I am trying to understand how point a b and c against Hillary were enough to outweigh the fact that her opponent is just not the kind of human being I can respect, NEVER MIND HIS POLICIES. (In Trump's case, what policies, anyway? Everything he said was "just talk", according to his defenders.")

I am confused. I need to understand whether people chose to ignore who he is, were blinded by Hillary hate, actually believe that this guy is going to solve our problems, or just don't see him as unstable.

So far the answers are not satisfying. The way people around me are ready to embrace chaos "abee nisht Hillary/Obama" is illogical. Or maybe I'm just not s gambler. Give me same old "stagnation", rather than fresh chaos.

Oh and checks and balances with GOP in control of all three branches? Fat chance... Small comfort.

I know we will be okay. I just don't like what this says about us as a country.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 6:55 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I am not angry, just sad. Maybe I didn't get to that stage of grief yet, who knows.

I am trying to understand how point a b and c against Hillary were enough to outweigh the fact that her opponent is just not the kind of human being I can respect, NEVER MIND HIS POLICIES. (In Trump's case, what policies, anyway? Everything he said was "just talk", according to his defenders.")

I am confused. I need to understand whether people chose to ignore who he is, were blinded by Hillary hate, actually believe that this guy is going to solve our problems, or just don't see him as unstable.

So far the answers are not satisfying. The way people around me are ready to embrace chaos "abee nisht Hillary/Obama" is illogical. Or maybe I'm just not s gambler. Give me same old "stagnation", rather than fresh chaos.

Oh and checks and balances with GOP in control of all three branches? Fat chance... Small comfort.

Yes, people will take fresh chaos over current stagnation when current stagnation is not working for them.

You may not like what this says about us as a country, but then again, why not?

shoshana2

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:01 pm
Bill Clinton was the first president to ask that the American people accept blatant indecency in the White House. It is very fitting that Hillary lost to Trump.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:02 pm
Ok I can't say this on fb because 150000 people will immediately defriend me, so I'll say it here:

Calm down everybody. Panic is unwarranted.

We have a checks and balances, term limits, and distribution of power. We have a system that works. Within this system, no one can become a dictator. Dictators don't have term limits 😄

Trump will do stuff we disagree with, maybe even stuff that makes us livid, and then he'll be gone.

As for SCOTUS, conservative judges can be just as thoughtful and nuanced as liberal ones.

This is not the apocalypse. This is one person, working within a system that won't allow him to have too much power while in office.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:03 pm
youngishbear wrote:

I honestly believe Trump is smarter than to do anything rash in office. He talks a big narcissistic game but he must be somewhat sharp and level headed in order to have achieved the success he did in business. I think a lot of his talk was shtick so to speak that's just the personality he built himself for fame and television. I don't think he's a saint I just think he is not the bullying idiot you make him to be. Perhaps I am too conservative but a lot of what he said, while not PC, was not necessarily things I disagree with. I don't think at a time like this we need borders open to whomever. Also I am sick and tired of the liberal terrorist sympathizers like Obama who could not be bothered to make a statement until two weeks after one of three Israeli teenagers who was an American citizen was found dead. So so sick of it.

I believe Trump will be a better ally to Israel and for that reason I support his presidency over Hillary.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:13 pm
shoshana2 wrote:
Bill Clinton was the first president to ask that the American people accept blatant indecency in the White House. It is very fitting that Hillary lost to Trump.

This is incredibly spiteful. Do you realize that Hillary was Bill's first victim?

Yes, she is the wife of an SA or whatever diagnosis you want to pin on him. Or just call him a cheating jerk. But SHE was the one cheated on. Can decent people please stop using the worst moments in her life against her?

(Yes, I was cheated on. And no, contrary to your kallah teacher's insinuation, it was not my fault.)

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:18 pm
shoshana2 wrote:

You mean, other than George Washington. And Thomas Jefferson. And Abraham Lincoln (rumored gay affairs ... oy). And James Buchanon (ditto). And Warren Harding. And Eisenhower. And JFK. And FDR. And LBJ. And James Garfield. And John Tyler. And George HW Bush (rumored).

Of course, none of them boasted about grabbing women's crotches without permission. Not that we know of, anyway.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:19 pm
shoshana2 wrote:

Actually if you knew anything about the presidency of JFK you would not call Bill the first. JFK slept with anything female that stepped through his office. It was not a secret. Also not understanding what that has to do with Hillary at all.

shoshana2

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:24 pm
I am fully aware of JFK's history, but none of this was known to most of the general public during his presidency JFK did not get on national television to discuss is moral shortcomings.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
I honestly believe Trump is smarter than to do anything rash in office. He talks a big narcissistic game but he must be somewhat sharp and level headed in order to have achieved the success he did in business. I think a lot of his talk was shtick so to speak that's just the personality he built himself for fame and television. I don't think he's a saint I just think he is not the bullying idiot you make him to be. Perhaps I am too conservative but a lot of what he said, while not PC, was not necessarily things I disagree with. I don't think at a time like this we need borders open to whomever. Also I am sick and tired of the liberal terrorist sympathizers like Obama who could not be bothered to make a statement until two weeks after one of three Israeli teenagers who was an American citizen was found dead. So so sick of it.

I believe Trump will be a better ally to Israel and for that reason I support his presidency over Hillary.

Its funny how many people have told me not to worry, of course Trump has no plan to do the things he said he would. Why did people vote for him if they didn't think he'd actually do what he said.

But Trump and my family have mutual friends. Or at least acquaintances. And they say that he's every bit as mercurial and bullying as he appears to be.

Oh, and FTR, Obama issued a statement on the day that Eyal Yifrach, Naftali Fraenkel and Gil-ad Shaar's bodies were found. “On behalf of the American people I extend my deepest and heartfelt condolences to the families of Eyal Yifrach, Gilad Shaar, and Naftali Fraenkel – who held Israeli and American citizenship. As a father, I cannot imagine the indescribable pain that the parents of these teenage boys are experiencing. The United States condemns in the strongest possible terms this senseless act of terror against innocent youth." You might not have liked the statement. Your choice. But you don't get to move the date of the statement.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:36 pm
shoshana2 wrote:
I am fully aware of JFK's history, but none of this was known to most of the general public during his presidency JFK did not get on national television to discuss is moral shortcomings.

JFK was lucky enough that the Republicans didn't hound him on mere speculative whims, in their desperation to find evidence of wrongdoing. Once zealous Republican investigations uncovered his "indiscretions" (hate that euphemism...) Bill lied, denied, (because that's what flawed humans who are ashamed of their mistakes do) and then it exploded in his face. He was pressured by the media to explain himself. No one did that to JFK.

Trump didn't even bother acting ashamed. He attempted to paint all of America's males with his own tainted paintbrush by saying everyone talks like that, "it's just talk." Ew.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 7:48 pm
youngishbear wrote:

I feel exactly the same. Thank you for articulating it so well.

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 8:45 pm
sequoia wrote:
Ok I can't say this on fb because 150000 people will immediately defriend me, so I'll say it here:

We have a checks and balances, term limits, and distribution of power. We have a system that works. Within this system, no one can become a dictator. Dictators don't have term limits 😄

Trump will do stuff we disagree with, maybe even stuff that makes us livid, and then he'll be gone.

As for SCOTUS, conservative judges can be just as thoughtful and nuanced as liberal ones.

This is not the apocalypse. This is one person, working within a system that won't allow him to have too much power while in office.

CAN'T LIKE THIS ENOUGH!!!!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 9:16 pm
sequoia wrote:

Thank you. And let me say that I truly believe that liberal judges can be just as thoughtful and nuanced as conservative ones.

What a country!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 09 2016, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
This is incredibly spiteful. Do you realize that Hillary was Bill's first victim?

Yes, she is the wife of an SA or whatever diagnosis you want to pin on him. Or just call him a cheating jerk. But SHE was the one cheated on. Can decent people please stop using the worst moments in her life against her?

(Yes, I was cheated on. And no, contrary to your kallah teacher's insinuation, it was not my fault.)

Big hugs. And yes, I was very nauseated by how the right exploited Bill's indiscretions.
(Now did I miss a reference to someone's kallah's teachers insinuations?)

ora_43

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:41 am
youngishbear wrote:

Or maybe you just have more to lose. If you have a more or less good life, gambling on a wild card candidate would be foolish. If you're living in a place with no decent jobs, no decent services, and no hope - gambling is the smart choice.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics