Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Trump won, I'm leaving!
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:12 am
OK, so who's actually packing up their suitcases right now? Are you planning Aliyah?

It occurs to me, that if all the Democrats leave for other countries, then they are abandoning the US, and leaving it for the Republicans to run, and pretty much guaranteeing that the conservatives will have the majority of votes from now on. Is that what they really want? A majority conservative world power, forever?

Seems like it would make more sense to stay in the US, out of spite if nothing else, to make sure that doesn't happen.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:23 am
I'm honestly more scared of living outside of usa now such an unqualified, uninformed and unstable person has access to the nuclear codes and control over going to war.

Plus his isolationist views are not good news. Last time the USA government took an isolationist stand WW2 and the Holocaust happened.

I've seen it suggested to democrats to move to swing states, not canada.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:25 am
http://www.americanthinker.com......html

wondergirl

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:26 am
https://www.gofundme.com/movin.....porte

wondergirl

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:32 am

wondergirl

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:33 am
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyli.....sm_fb

gp2.0

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:29 am
No one actually leaves. It's just an adult version of a temper tantrum. Its silly and childish. None of these people would actually be happier in Canada. None of them have actually thought it through. It's just something dumb people say because they think it makes them sound like they REALLY care. It just makes them sound immature. When life doesn't go your way you don't stamp your feet and say you'll run away. You deal with it.

I'm proud to be an American. I'm proud to live in America. I'm proud of where we are, proud that we're constantly seeking to improve. I'm sad that it takes so long for necessary legislation to pass. I'm sad that some people with extremist views are in positions of power. But the bad doesn't take away from the good.

I didn't vote for Trump because he has a horrible personality. That being said, I actually agree with some of his views. He's not a strong conservative at all, nor is he a strong liberal. He actually falls somewhere in the middle which is very healthy.

Additionally, it's good to balance the country with alternating elections. We just had 8 years of democratic reform, now we'll see some republican reform. I'll probably disagree with some of the republican reform, but I think as a nation our health depends on balance.

Sadie

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:32 am
I left, not because of politics, but I haven't lived in the US for 5 years. I vote in every election.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:37 am
That was the final push I needed to decide to officially make aliyah. I live in Israel but have not made aliyah yet, and I really would like to be a citizen of another country now. Aliyah, here we come....

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:38 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, so who's actually packing up their suitcases right now? Are you planning Aliyah?

It occurs to me, that if all the Democrats leave for other countries, then they are abandoning the US, and leaving it for the Republicans to run, and pretty much guaranteeing that the conservatives will have the majority of votes from now on. Is that what they really want? A majority conservative world power, forever?

Seems like it would make more sense to stay in the US, out of spite if nothing else, to make sure that doesn't happen.

In all honesty?

I'm making contingency plans.

Because America elected a president who was endorsed by the KKK. Who ran ads filled with antisemitic tropes. Because his candidacy emboldened the countless tweets that used the Trump hashtag in connection with pro-Holocaust statements and imagery. Because Trump, personally, used Jon Stewart's religion to attack him. Because of the people who are tagging storefronts with the words "seig heil" and "Trump" with the T as a swastika. Because of the attacks on Jewish journalists. Because of the supporters who posted images of Trump with his finger on the gas button, with Jew in the chamber.

Yes, I'm scared. And I think that anyone who isn't is a fool.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
That was the final push I needed to decide to officially make aliyah. I live in Israel but have not made aliyah yet, and I really would like to be a citizen of another country now. Aliyah, here we come....

See? The Lord works in mysterious ways.

I voted for Trump, because I think he is a good ally for Israel. If that means that more people make Aliyah, that's awesome, too. Win/win!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:03 am
SixOfWands wrote:
In all honesty?

Because America elected a president who was endorsed by the KKK. Who ran ads filled with antisemitic tropes. Because his candidacy emboldened the countless tweets that used the Trump hashtag in connection with pro-Holocaust statements and imagery. Because Trump, personally, used Jon Stewart's religion to attack him. Because of the people who are tagging storefronts with the words "seig heil" and "Trump" with the T as a swastika. Because of the attacks on Jewish journalists. Because of the supporters who posted images of Trump with his finger on the gas button, with Jew in the chamber.

Just stop it already.

Well over 59 million Americans voted for Trump. How many KKK members are there in the US? Don't have access to their membership roster, but I'd guess pretty few.

There are neo-nazis and white supremacists still alive and well in this day and age, and I suspect they were more inclined to vote Trump than Clinton. True enough.

But 59 million plus Americans are not KKK, are not nazis, are not bigots, are not any of the things you accuse Trump supporters of being. The overwhelming majority are kind, peaceful, loving, accepting people who want what every normal person wants.... a great country where everyone can be free and prosper. And Trump seems to be sincere in wanting that too.

So just knock off all this nonsense already.

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
See? The Lord works in mysterious ways.

I voted for Trump, because I think he is a good ally for Israel. If that means that more people make Aliyah, that's awesome, too. Win/win!

Trump's rhetoric on no longer upholding many of our core alliances and his saying he'll be a "neutral" party to Israeli/Palestinian negotiations is what makes me so deeply worried for what this presidency will mean for US/Israel relations. It's interesting how people can come to such radically different interpretations from the same information.

FF, I usually like your posts a lot and you typically bring a very equanimous voice into even heated discussions (which I try to avoid on this site in general, especially political ones--I rarely post on these). Did you post this because you genuinely want to know if some of your fellow Jewish mothers are worried for the futures of their families in the US because of how they see the tide of the country turning? Or was it just to make fun of people?

My husband and I have always left the question of immigrating, whether to Israel or another country, on the table because we don't take it for granted that Jews have not had any longterm stability in any country throughout history.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:37 am
SixOfWands wrote:
In all honesty?

So supporters of a candidate=candidate? Does the candidate have to denounce every single twitter user who creates an image?

And where's the outrage that half this country is a basket of deplorables? And that was said by the candidate herself.
Just because someone supported Trump does not mean Trump agrees with everything or anything the supporter said.
If he had gone on the campaign trail with the head KKK member, knowing he was a head KKK member, it would be different.
Just because I am relieved Clinton is not President-elect - does not mean I am a secret member of the KKK, desiring a holocaust type event to occur, racist, homophobic, sexist, or any other prejudicial group. Although the left portrays us all as white rednecks who are smelly, unkempt, and illiterate (let alone have any higher education).

However I apparently am still a part of the basket of deplorables.

miami85

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:49 am
SixOfWands wrote:
In all honesty?

And Hillary was supported by the Middle East--what's your point?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 9:50 am
sweetpotato wrote:
Trump's rhetoric on no longer upholding many of our core alliances and his saying he'll be a "neutral" party to Israeli/Palestinian negotiations is what makes me so deeply worried for what this presidency will mean for US/Israel relations. It's interesting how people can come to such radically different interpretations from the same information.

FF, I usually like your posts a lot and you typically bring a very equanimous voice into even heated discussions (which I try to avoid on this site in general, especially political ones--I rarely post on these). Did you post this because you genuinely want to know if some of your fellow Jewish mothers are worried for the futures of their families in the US because of how they see the tide of the country turning? Or was it just to make fun of people?

My husband and I have always left the question of immigrating, whether to Israel or another country, on the table because we don't take it for granted that Jews have not had any longterm stability in any country throughout history.

I understand that tone is hard to read on the internet. I asked a sincere question, because several amothers here have said that they would leave (along with half of Hollywood and the music industry). I was wondering if they were serious, and if so, what they hoped to accomplish.

Getting the heck out of Germany in 1939 was an extremely wise move, and I'll never imply otherwise. I genuinely understand how people can feel the same way right now, even if I don't agree with their reasons for feeling that. Personally, I was unhappy with the last 8 years of the US under Obama, and that had a lot to do with my decision to make Aliyah (although that was not the major motivating factor.)

Thank you for asking a respectful DZK question, and not assuming you know what I'm getting at. Agreeing to disagree, and listening to all sides, is what makes us great as a people. Deep in my heart, I'm a centrist Libertarian, after all. Wink

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
So supporters of a candidate=candidate? Does the candidate have to denounce every single twitter user who creates an image?

And where's the outrage that half this country is a basket of deplorables? And that was said by the candidate herself.
Just because someone supported Trump does not mean Trump agrees with everything or anything the supporter said.
If he had gone on the campaign trail with the head KKK member, knowing he was a head KKK member, it would be different.
Just because I am relieved Clinton is not President-elect - does not mean I am a secret member of the KKK, desiring a holocaust type event to occur, racist, homophobic, sexist, or any other prejudicial group. Although the left portrays us all as white rednecks who are smelly, unkempt, and illiterate (let alone have any higher education).

However I apparently am still a part of the basket of deplorables.

While Clinton was less than articulate, she specifically referred to people who are "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic," as "deplorable." I agree with her. And there is no question that those people supported Trump. Did others? Of course. Different question. And she clearly stated that not all of Trump's supporters fit into that basket.

When Trump was originally endorsed by David Duke, he responded, "I just don’t know anything about him.” However, previous Trump statement made clear that he was very much aware of who Duke is.

Trump has race-baited. His comments on Mexicans, on Muslims, on people of color, are despicable. You really think that he's stopping at the Jews? Keep our eyes on the Muslims. Profile blacks. Mexicans are rapists and criminals, and even those born here can't be unbiased with respect to white folk like Trump. Make no mistake, the people who believe that don't like you much, either.

Well, then let's see what Trump himself says when he doesn't like a Jew. "I promise you that I'm much smarter than Jonathan Leibowitz - I mean Jon Stewart @TheDailyShow. Who, by the way, is totally overrated." Because the fact that Stewart is a Jew is what is important, what he wants his supporters to know. Not that he disagrees with Stewart. But that he's a Jew. I don't even know what religion Trump is; not on my radar. Only on the radar of people who want to attack and demean on that basis.

Or this little gem. In a 1991 book, one of Trump's former colleagues recalled him saying, "Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day." (Trump called the things written about him in the book "probably true" in an interview.)

Do you really think that he didn't know exactly what he was saying when he said, "Hillary Clinton “meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty” and that “a global power structure”? Or tweeted her photo with a Jewish star and money? Or when his closing ad used the same anti-semitic tropes with photos of Jews?

But even if he is not personally anti-semitic, he has played to that constituency, and emboldened them. There's already been one burning of a black church, with Trump's name scrawled across it. I really don't care if he's personally saddened if they start burning shuls, if he's emboldened and legitimized it.

So, yes, I am scared. I hope I'm wrong. But I think it would be foolish not to take precautions.

Fox

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 10:36 am
SixOfWands wrote:
But I think it would be foolish not to take precautions.

It's always wrong to forget that we're in galus, no matter who holds the reigns of power.

However, recent history has been a bit mixed. Presidents who were foul-mouthed anti-Semites in private, such as Nixon, did things like give extra military aid to Israel against the advice of his Cabinet; open up the Justice Department to Jews; and refuse to practice widespread discrimination against Jews in his administration -- something of a first.

President Carter, a man whom everyone agrees to be personally tolerant and respectful, has used his position as a former President to author some of the most destructive -- and anti-Semitic -- language of the U.N. and the BDS movement.

Do I like or approve of Trump's ridiculous stereotypes? Of course not! No reasonable person would. But I didn't vote for him because I approved of his manners or personal attitudes; I voted for him because I thought he offered the best approach to the problems that concern me the most.

Obviously, other people will disagree both about what problems are important and what we should do about them, and I can respect that. In fact, they may even be right about certain things. If they're smart and stick to facts, their opposition will ensure that any excesses of a Trump administration will be contained.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 1:07 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
While Clinton was less than articulate, she specifically referred to people who are "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic," as "deplorable." I agree with her. And there is no question that those people supported Trump. Did others? Of course. Different question. And she clearly stated that not all of Trump's supporters fit into that basket.

Actually she said that about half of his supporters fit into said basket.

SixOfWands wrote:

Well, then let's see what Trump himself says when he doesn't like a Jew. "I promise you that I'm much smarter than Jonathan Leibowitz - I mean Jon Stewart @TheDailyShow. Who, by the way, is totally overrated." Because the fact that Stewart is a Jew is what is important, what he wants his supporters to know. Not that he disagrees with Stewart. But that he's a Jew. I don't even know what religion Trump is; not on my radar. Only on the radar of people who want to attack and demean on that basis.

Or this little gem. In a 1991 book, one of Trump's former colleagues recalled him saying, "Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yarmulkes every day." (Trump called the things written about him in the book "probably true" in an interview.)

Ooooh the raging anti-semitism! Excuse me for not minding if people think of Jews as smart, short or accountants.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 2:06 pm
I'm waiting for the to leave already and stop blocking all the streets in manhattan causing traffic and all kinds of havoc because they didn't get their way! Go to Canada already! Get out of Manhattan
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics