Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I'm happy Trump won!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:09 pm
My pediatrician curses Obamacare. And he isn't the only one.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Me too! And its great to see his supporters expressing themselves, on the day after the election:

Hmmm. Now post some of the videos of Hillary supporters vandalizing and beating up people. It works both ways.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:47 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
And yet under President Obama aid to Israel was increased. (+ 40 billion).

Thanks to a republican congress.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
Does your Obamacare cover good doctors? Are top Manhattan doctors taking it? Most doctors worth anything say the the plans are garbage, so they don't even take it. At least with private insurance, I paid a lot, but I got something in return. Here, you pay and you get nothing, and even worse, you then have a massive deductible, and you have to pay out of pocket to see any respectable doctor whose office doesn't resemble a free clinic.

Honestly asking because I am not so familiar: if you can afford private insurance why don't you stay on it? I though Obamacare was covering people who were too rich for Medicaid but couldn't afford private insurance.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:55 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
And yet under President Obama aid to Israel was increased. (+ 40 billion).

So was aid to Iran.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 3:56 pm
I'm another reluctant Trump voter who is surprised at how pleased and optimistic I am.

Rabbi Shafier of TheShmuz just put out this video: https://vimeo.com/191045313

dancingqueen wrote:
Honestly asking because I am not so familiar: if you can afford private insurance why don't you stay on it? I though Obamacare was covering people who were too rich for Medicaid but couldn't afford private insurance.

Obamacare has put many insurance companies right out of business in various markets, leaving Obamacare the only available option

moonstone

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 4:16 pm
DrMom wrote:
I disagree. I think the current resident of the White House is an anti-Semite and Israel hater. I think Trump/Pence will be a huge improvement in that regard.

I agree with Dr. Mom. It's one of the many reasons I was hoping Trump would win. Another is that I didn't want to be subjected to Hillary's awful husband for 4 years. Wink

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 4:33 pm
glamourmom wrote:
I'm happy too. cant wait to see what a Republican will do in the white house after 8 long years. I don't remember the days when Bush was president so hopefully the upcoming changes will MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

I remember a few of the highlights. WMD. Iraq war. (where do you think Isis came from?) Wall Street Crash (which he conveniently left for Obama to deal with).

Obama has basically spent his terms dealing with the fallout from the previous administration.

Bush's presidency began in a similar way, in that he also did not win the popular vote.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 4:34 pm
The problem is, the anti-Semitism is still there. We shouldn't rest on our laurels.

I feel like it is more dangerous when we don't feel we need to daven as strongly.

I have to admit I don't know what a Laurel is.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 4:35 pm
Clinton and Sanders were both buddy buddy with J Street lobbyists. In my opinion, that is FAR more worrisome than an unasked for endorsement from David Duke.

I firmly believe that first and foremost, Trump is a pragmatic businessman, and that he will make the country far more financially stable. Whatever his personal biases may or may not be, he'd never let them get in the way of the almighty dollar - or the country's security.

I don't have to like him as a human being. He doesn't need to be my new best friend, and I highly doubt I'll ever go out for coffee with him. I read somewhere recently, "Sometimes a good leader can be a bad person, and a weak, ineffective leader can be a really nice person. To have both qualities in the same place is hard to come by in politics.

Show me any president who didn't have some kind of fatal flaw. Who among them would stand up to media scrutiny in this day and age?

Dr. Carson was a mentch beyond reproach, but people thought he was too weak to lead because he was "too nice". Many people voted for Trump BECAUSE he is a jerk, thinking that rudeness and firmness are the same thing. Maybe in today's society you have to be a jerk to be perceived as strong enough to qualify for the job.

In any case, the people have spoken, and I am glad.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 4:45 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

We don't qualify for Obama care so we have private insurance. We pay $1600 for it every month and it has been covering less and less. Doctors visits have become so expensive that I basically just avoid them. If I didn't have children, I would probably opt out of health insurance altogether and pay out of pocket to see my doctors. It would probably be cheaper that way.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 5:06 pm
I'm another held-my-nose Trump voter, but now that it happened, I'm happy. Not jubilant- I have my reservations, wish a different Republican had been nominated, heck, wish Pence were president instead of VP- but I'm satisfied with the result. Trump is a vile himan being, but many of our best presidents were quite vile in their personal lives (Thomas Jefferson comes to mind). I think he will do a good job as president. He will fix some of the damage of tge last 8 years and move us in a positive direction. He will shake things up in a way that's badly needed in Washington.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:06 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Hmmm. Now post some of the videos of Hillary supporters vandalizing and beating up people. It works both ways.

Well, I've seem mostly peaceful protests:

There was this troubling and sad incident:

But so far, no one using the N word. Or swastika. Or even "cracker" that I've seen. Please feel free to post if you know otherwise. Unless its from Alex Jones. Don't post from Alex Jones. I'll be happy to condemn any violence.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:12 pm
Typically it's going to be the violent protests that get the coverage. We had a peaceful silent walk from our university campus to our local courthouse. Over five thousand students and community members. It got a blip and a single photo in our local paper on page 2 while the AP coverage was spread across two columns on the front page.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:25 pm
I do want to weigh in here. I am a gioret. My mother's more extended family are rural whites with no college education. They are staunch Trump supporters.

What I have seen from their FB posts (I had to unfriend all of them) is horrific. Even knowing that I am family and am a FB friend, they posted and commented on such terrifying anti-semitic, racist, anti-muslim, anti-LGBT material that I thought we were living in an alternate reality. While this was a tiny window into this world, I was shocked at how many people piled on in these discussions. The memes...oh, the memes. There are a lot of Trump supporters who actually think he will actively advance a racist, white nationalist agenda. They think that he just "toned it down" to get elected.

When I spoke up on one thread, I was called a "Jew b****". Apparently someone looked at my profile pics with my kids. We are obviously frum Jews. My "loving" family member then jumped in to say I wasn't "really one of them" because I converted. I unfriended them. I was not brave. I did not stand up and fight. I just disappeared. I was scared.

While not all Trump supporters think like this, of course, there are a LOT who do. Too many. My family members had never made racist or anti-Semitic comments like this before.

But now they've been convinced of the vast jewish conspiracy, they blame everything on blacks, immigrants, and muslims. And their FB conversations were with a lot of people I know from their area. A lot of seemingly reasonable, normal people. I no longer feel safe visiting this part of my family and have cancelled plans to do so.

treestump

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 6:30 pm
If even a fraction of these are true, this is horrible.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/.....30656

hazelnut

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:17 pm
Wait, I thought those racist photos were done as anti Trump protests

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:18 pm
hazelnut wrote:
Wait, I thought those racist photos were done as anti Trump protests

No. They're the racist Trump supporters celebrating their victory.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:23 pm
Just remember, we have a heavily biased media, still advancing their agenda, their beliefs. They (MSM) believe Trump supporters are deplorable racists, so that's what they will show you. Because unfortunately there are some, and those are the people who will make the news. Trump protesters on the other hand will be shown to be largely peaceful by the MSM, which they likely mostly are. The few right-wing outlets will show us the worst of the worst, which are also real, but not the majority. Don't allow yourselves to be played by either side!!!

mille

Post Thu, Nov 10 2016, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
I do want to weigh in here. I am a gioret. My mother's more extended family are rural whites with no college education. They are staunch Trump supporters.

What I have seen from their FB posts (I had to unfriend all of them) is horrific. Even knowing that I am family and am a FB friend, they posted and commented on such terrifying anti-semitic, racist, anti-muslim, anti-LGBT material that I thought we were living in an alternate reality. While this was a tiny window into this world, I was shocked at how many people piled on in these discussions. The memes...oh, the memes. There are a lot of Trump supporters who actually think he will actively advance a racist, white nationalist agenda. They think that he just "toned it down" to get elected.

When I spoke up on one thread, I was called a "Jew b****". Apparently someone looked at my profile pics with my kids. We are obviously frum Jews. My "loving" family member then jumped in to say I wasn't "really one of them" because I converted. I unfriended them. I was not brave. I did not stand up and fight. I just disappeared. I was scared.

While not all Trump supporters think like this, of course, there are a LOT who do. Too many. My family members had never made racist or anti-Semitic comments like this before.

But now they've been convinced of the vast jewish conspiracy, they blame everything on blacks, immigrants, and muslims. And their FB conversations were with a lot of people I know from their area. A lot of seemingly reasonable, normal people. I no longer feel safe visiting this part of my family and have cancelled plans to do so.

And for those of us who are NOT happy about Trump's presidency, I believe you've summed up why. It's less to do with Trump himself and more to do with him giving voice and purpose to the masses of horrible, racist, sexist, xenophobic among us. It's terrifying.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics