Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Female presidential candidate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:23 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
At least you admit it. Liberalism is a mental disease that can only be cured by a gun and a flag in each hand. Some Torah learning for the yidden wouldn't hurt, either.

Sheople
Sheople who need sheople
Are the LUCKiest sheople
In the world Music

(Sorry, folks, this thread is making me say some interesting things.)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:24 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Lesbian? I thought Grindelwald was male.

Depends what Grindelwald wants to be today.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:25 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
Rav Willig, Rav Schachter, Rav Kahn, Rav Shulman, Rav Simon, Rav Sobolofsky

Doubtful.

I don't believe you.

I'm open to any sort of evidence that these rabbis are all against females in positions of leadership. But for now, without evidence, I simply don't believe you.

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:26 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
I don't support feminism, and I don't consider women learning feminism. I've stated before that I'm from a YU family.

By women learning do you mean gemara?

rfeig613

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:45 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
By women learning do you mean gemara?

I don't. I went to a Modern Orthodox school where girls learned gemara, and in my community, women will learn toshba. I don't think it should be emphasized, though, but I enjoy it and engage in learning because I find it stimulating, all with the awareness that I'm not mechuyeves.

Lots of women hear the shofar, take lulav and esrog, etc. Doesn't make them feminists.

This is all one big diversion, anyways. Too many "nasty women" here who probably resent they're in frum communities because they can't wear pantsuits.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:49 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
This is all one big diversion, anyways. Too many "nasty women" here who probably resent they're in frum communities because they can't wear pantsuits.

Omg looool

You were believable until your last paragraph

You are hysterical by the way

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 2:51 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
I don't. I went to a Modern Orthodox school where girls learned gemara, and in my community, women will learn toshba. I don't think it should be emphasized, though, but I enjoy it and engage in learning because I find it stimulating, all with the awareness that I'm not mechuyeves.

Lots of women hear the shofar, take lulav and esrog, etc. Doesn't make them feminists.

I assume toshba is Torah sheb'al peh and you don't mean Mikraos Gedolos commentaries.
You're remarkably sanguine about women learning gemara considering some other views of yours.
But re your last paragraph: So glad I don't drink coffee in the PM. And brace yourself - I wouldn't be surprised if you find a spinoff of all the women here who call themselves frum but wear pants. (Not that I'm starting it exactly, but I can see it coming.)

rfeig613

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 3:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I assume toshba is Torah sheb'al peh and you don't mean Mikraos Gedolos commentaries.
You're remarkably sanguine about women learning gemara considering some other views of yours.
But re your last paragraph: So glad I don't drink coffee in the PM. And brace yourself - I wouldn't be surprised if you find a spinoff of all the women here who call themselves frum but wear pants. (Not that I'm starting it exactly, but I can see it coming.)

Most women I went to high school, seminary, and college with wouldn't consider themselves feminists. Most work, as economics require two incomes in most cases in our communities. We're Republican and Zionist. I think feminism in the frum community is limited to places like HIR and other such "Open Orthodox" shuls. I don't need to get up and give a drasha in order to feel validated as a woman.

rfeig613

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 3:07 pm
gold21 wrote:
Omg looool

You were believable until your last paragraph

You are hysterical by the way

These liberal women are really nasty. That's such a chiddush? The Donald hit the nail on the head.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 3:46 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
Most women I went to high school, seminary, and college with wouldn't consider themselves feminists. Most work, as economics require two incomes in most cases in our communities. We're Republican and Zionist. I think feminism in the frum community is limited to places like HIR and other such "Open Orthodox" shuls. I don't need to get up and give a drasha in order to feel validated as a woman.
Just pointing out that wanting to stand up and give a drasha has nothing to do with feeling validated as a woman.
It is something completely different.
And I dont know what HIR is (Im in Israel, is that something in america?) but feminism is most definitely alive and well all over frum communities.

rfeig613

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 3:52 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Just pointing out that wanting to stand up and give a drasha has nothing to do with feeling validated as a woman.
It is something completely different.
And I dont know what HIR is (Im in Israel, is that something in america?) but feminism is most definitely alive and well all over frum communities.

Women feel a compulsion to be honorary men. Just like women of the wall. Same garbage.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 3:57 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
Women feel a compulsion to be honorary men. Just like women of the wall. Same garbage.
Feminism is not about wanting to be an honorary man.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 4:09 pm
DrMom wrote:
There are plenty of women in positions of leadership at YU.
Including the dean of the law school, the dean of the arts & sciences school, and the dean of the school of social work.

Responding strictly to this exact comment, and please don't take my comment as somehow agreeing with this ridiculous conversation:

There is quite the schism nowadays between the YU Roshei Yeshiva and the rest of the University. They have little to no say in much that goes on, and it's a growing issue in the community as a result. So pointing out female deans in no way says that the YU Rabbanim are ok with it.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 4:12 pm
Can I just say, I'm very confused - Marina's avatar is Dumbledore - why all the Grindelwald references?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 4:22 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Can I just say, I'm very confused - Marina's avatar is Dumbledore - why all the Grindelwald references?

JK Rowling has said that Dumbledore and Grindelwald's relationship was more than just friendship -- at the very least, Dumbledore had unreciprocated romantic feelings toward Grindelwald.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 7:08 pm
the HEAD OF SCHOOL- as in the ROSH Yeshiva of Seattle is....
<drum>

A WOMAN.

She is a brilliant, refined, gentle, articulate, learned Torah Scholar and therefore she was given the leadership roll of the orthodox yeshiva in Seattle.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:16 am
rfeig613 wrote:

I'm still not sure how that answers my question about women learning gemara.

rfeig613

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:04 am
In Modern Orthodox communities, women learn gemara, and that's fairly noncontroversial by us. For people like me, I don't see the issue.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:26 am
ValleyMom wrote:
the HEAD OF SCHOOL- as in the ROSH Yeshiva of Seattle is....
<drum>

A WOMAN.

She is a brilliant, refined, gentle, articulate, learned Torah Scholar and therefore she was given the leadership roll of the orthodox yeshiva in Seattle.

And that's just when a new school opened up Rolling Eyes
A Woman isn't the answer to everything.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:31 am
rfeig613 wrote:
In Modern Orthodox communities, women learn gemara, and that's fairly noncontroversial by us. For people like me, I don't see the issue.

But you do have issues with violations of serara.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics