Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Would you visit a Kosher Bed and Breakfast?
Previous  1  2

frumama

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 3:16 pm
My husband and I are looking for something like that now. A nice weekend get away that we don't have to fly to and don't have to schlep food. I like the idea of serving the meals privately. We want to spend our time together, not socializing with others. The biggest issue for us would be lack of minion for Shabbos and the hechsher. I would feel more comfortable with a hechsher I was familiar with. Also, there would need to something in the area to do(pleasant area to walk around on Shabbos and activities around during the week). If the rooms were nice and hechsher good we would be very interested. We would easily pay 500 for Shabbos. ( Probably more if it looked really nice)

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
I agree that I would want a nationally recognized hechsher and good food. Rewarmed Empire chicken nuggets with a side of rice for $30 a meal isn't going to win me over. Within 3 hours from New York means travelers can bring along their own food.

If you are really far away from kosher food sources, that's another story. I've been to too many places where the attitude is just be glad you have kosher food. In places where kosher restaurants have to compete with nonkosher ones, the food and prices are better. Even if you are not competing, act as if you are.

So, I'm sure you don't realize this, but when kosher food is made outside of high completion areas the cost is EXPONENTIALLY higher to the provider. Never mind things like rent in prime tourist areas ( New York pizza places would faint if they saw my rent in falls view, Niagara Falls Canada) but also when you are the only place ordering Cy milk products or Glatt kosher meat, you are lucky if you can get delivery, never mind free delivery. In toronto, my minimum order would be $500 but in Niagara Falls it's 3000 or I pay extra for shipping.

I'm not gauging when I charge higher for the things on the menu that cost me more, I'm trying to make a Parnassa. I don't do this for chessed, although I do plenty of chessed. I do this to keep a roof over my head and food on my table.

Be Dan zekef zechut.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics