Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood high school please list
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking for a school where girls care how they look and so do mothers. It doesn't have to be expensive clothing. I don't want a school where the mothers are run down if you know what I mean. And I want positive happy girls and a school with a positive attitude.

most girls in the teenage years care about how they look. I dont think that will be a problem in any school in lkwd.

debsey

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
most girls in the teenage years care about how they look. I dont think that will be a problem in any school in lkwd.

I mean, Meon or Bais Shaindel probably have more girls who are focused on "pnimius" than externals, but on the whole, most teenage girls care about their appearance! It's kind of a job requirement.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 10:56 pm
I dont agree.
At that age they care. I Know girls in Meohn and Bnos Melech (meohns elementary)
Question is if poster meant caring about how they look as code word for trendy.
then I'd agree.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 7:55 am
There's different types of caring. I have a dd lucky enough to be with girls who care about looking good, but aren't obsessed over specifics. For example, it's fine to wear shoes from payless if they're adorable and go with the look.

I'm assuming that in some schools, name brands are a must. My dd and friends occasionally wear name brands, but it's not an obsession.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 10:42 am
debsey wrote:
I had to drop off a package to Kesser BY and I saw HS girls outside. Just wondering which school it is.

Where are they located? Maybe they are next to a high school.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 10:45 am
Simple1 wrote:
There's different types of caring. I have a dd lucky enough to be with girls who care about looking good, but aren't obsessed over specifics. For example, it's fine to wear shoes from payless if they're adorable and go with the look.

I'm assuming that in some schools, name brands are a must. My dd and friends occasionally wear name brands, but it's not an obsession.

There are definitely schools that are known to have more peer pressure than others with regard to wearing brand name clothes, etc...though keep in mind that every singe school in town has a mix of girls, and you will find some girls like this and some girls like that there. No hard and fast rules. I've been told that Bais Yaakov and Shiras Devorah have a more trendy name in this regard, but I hate generalizations and definitely know girls that go/went there that don't fit this mold. Shiras Devorah is known to have rules for both parents and students, aiming for a certain "look" in their students and parent body. If you want that, white, it could be a good fit for you.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
I'm looking for a school where girls care how they look and so do mothers. It doesn't have to be expensive clothing. I don't want a school where the mothers are run down if you know what I mean. And I want positive happy girls and a school with a positive attitude.

Do you mean the BY look, like pleated skirts and blouses? You might be looking for Bais Shaindel or Meon.

Do you mean brand name but refined? Maybe BY or Shiras Devorah.

Do you mean regular but put together, a mix of types? Oros, Bais Kaila, BBY....

It's kind of hard to read between the lines of what you mean, and hard to type any school. Every single school in town has a mix of types. I don't know of any school where a majority of the mothers are run down, so I actually have no idea what you mean.

debsey

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 11:19 am
Chayalle wrote:
Where are they located? Maybe they are next to a high school.

Lehigh (off Swarthmore in Industrial Park)

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:04 pm
debsey wrote:
Lehigh (off Swarthmore in Industrial Park)

I think that would be Bnos Bais Yaakov. They are located across the street from where Ateres Tziporah is on Swarthmore - I know because I used to see the sign when I took DD to Funtastic Gymnastics for a season. (I have no idea if either school is still there....)

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:

Every school has a mix of girls (and mothers)...
No schools have entirely "run down" parent bodies, and no schools have entirely posh and polished parent bodies....
And btw the schools with the happiest girls and most postive attitudes are the ones (not necessarily in Lakewood, maybe out of town) where girls don't care so much about how they look.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:26 pm
What are the rules for mothers in Shiras Devorah?

Also, what are the rules about going to Florida with a parent or grandparent during the winter vacation?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:29 pm
Bais Tova, affiliated with Shiras Devorah (their elementary school) has rules for mothers, and I assume it's pretty much the same. You can't pick up/drop off your child at school wearing a snood, for example. They want a certain decorum in appearance around their school. I don't send to either of these schools, so I don't have an exact list, but I don't know of any other school that has a handbook specifically for parents (mothers), other than a brief line about expecting parents to conform to all standards of tznius, especially on school premises, in their general handbook.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:31 pm
Lol, Chayalle, Ill try to always be wearing my shaitel. My daughter is in ninth grade and I think I read the handbook and didnt find anything that was disturbing to me but maybe I will re-read it!

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:33 pm
I luv how ppl make up stories esp that dont send there!!!! U have no clue u cannot talk if u dont send there!! I always drop off in a snood ( I wait in the car) but no such rule stop making u stories!!!

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:35 pm
Thanks for the info, amother above me. I am glad for now that my husband does the drop offs but I will look at the handbook more closely ih.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
Lol, Chayalle, Ill try to always be wearing my shaitel. My daughter is in ninth grade and I think I read the handbook and didnt find anything that was disturbing to me but maybe I will re-read it!

It's quite possible that it's only for Bais Tova, or was amended....I'm not making up stories. As heard from close friends in BT, unless they were making up stories. And I remember when they came out with a parent handbook.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 12:44 pm
I hear you Chayalle, I appreciate your input and will look into it. I'm happy bh that my daughter was accepted easily and I do want to follow all rules , even if I personally feel they are trivial.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
I hear you Chayalle, I appreciate your input and will look into it. I'm happy bh that my daughter was accepted easily and I do want to follow all rules , even if I personally feel they are trivial.

You have a great attitude and it's likely your DD will B"EH do well with that. I happen to be very much a rule follower, as much as I can be, in the schools my girls attend (sometimes, much to their annoyance...."Ma no one except us does that.....")

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
What are the rules for mothers in Shiras Devorah?

Also, what are the rules about going to Florida with a parent or grandparent during the winter vacation?

I don't know about Shiras Devorah, but I know that local schools (Bais Kaila for sure) are pretty strict about not allowing Florida during mid-winter vacation. Though I think it can also depend where in Florida.....anywhere near the beach is very very off limits.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 18 2016, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:

I agree, I don't think this is a "problem " you have to worry about so much in Lakewood, at "worst", you'll have a mix of types.

And I put it in quotes because some people who are not so interested in their appearance can be people of deep character and fun to be around.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics