Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Harry Potter fans - thoughts on election results?

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 9:36 pm
Just wondering what imamother Potterheads have to say. Especially if they voted for Trump.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.....tudy/

And there's this:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry.....ea67d

And this:

https://muggle-studies.com/201.....ting/

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 9:48 pm
Dumb.
Comparing Voldemort to Trump? One killed thousands including innocents, ruthlessly tortured people, turned the world into darkness... the other is the president elect.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
Dumb.
Comparing Voldemort to Trump? One killed thousands including innocents, ruthlessly tortured people, turned the world into darkness... the other is the president elect.

Voldemort isn't real lol so he didn't kill anyone. Trump is real but he didn't kill anyone either. Hilary on the other hand, well, she is responsible for the death of real people but that is all water under the bridge now so no use discussing it.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:42 pm
I'm a major Harry potter fan and I voted for trump. I thought he was the lesser of two evils and I didn't want another democrat for president. What of it?

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:44 pm
I found the whole thing amusing.

The black and white thinking on the part of extremists on both sides.

How JK Rowling opined on American politics, and her tweets since.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

esther11

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:48 pm
Big Harry Potter fan and I voted for trump. I say meh

youngishbear

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:49 pm
I read the HP study a while ago but I didn't have anyone to discuss it with IRL.

I'm with her, so I guess I see the point of how Trump's race-baiting and stereotyping reminded people of Voldemort's pure-blood mishigas.

Some people went as far as comparing him to Hitler. That's all "hogwash", IMHO, but disconcerting nevertheless. He did legitimize hate. That is just sad.

byisrael

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 12:54 am
I think Trump is more of a Fudge/Crouch/ Old Ministry of Magic Establishment - bigotted, racist, but not evil and ruthless like Voldermort.
My most extreme Potter figure that I would compare him to is Draco Malfoy - all for the ideas theretical ideas of supremecy but not evil enough to see them in practice.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 11:33 am
youngishbear wrote:
He did legitimize hate. That is just sad.

So did she - hate of so called "bigots", where people are labled and denigrated without ever being heard. I guess you could say that wasn't her, the smug, condescending left really did it long ago...

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 12:15 pm
byisrael wrote:
I think Trump is more of a Fudge/Crouch/ Old Ministry of Magic Establishment - bigotted, racist, but not evil and ruthless like Voldermort.
My most extreme Potter figure that I would compare him to is Draco Malfoy - all for the ideas theretical ideas of supremecy but not evil enough to see them in practice.

I thought he was more of a Lockhart. I think we had a thread on this months ago.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 12:16 pm
tryinghard wrote:
So did she - hate of so called "bigots", where people are labled and denigrated without ever being heard. I guess you could say that wasn't her, the smug, condescending left really did it long ago...

I don't think hate is the right word, but I understand what you're saying.

Condemnation, perhaps?

tryinghard

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:13 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I don't think hate is the right word, but I understand what you're saying.

Condemnation, perhaps?

Labeling individuals - not just statements or actions - as "deplorables" is pretty hateful. And before you say that she was only speaking about "some" of his supporters, she said "about half" of Trump's supporters. IOW, 23 MILLION Americans. How many of them has she met? The fact that they were voting for Trump was enough "proof" to write every one of those voters off as "deplorables" because they must be racist, homophobic or otherwise bigoted. To me, that's a lot more than condemnation.

But I agree with your Lockhart call 100% LOL

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:25 pm
A friend of mine compared Trump to Pius Thicknesse. So I guess Putin put him under the Imperius curse? Still trying to work that one out. I like the Lockhart comparison. Not evil, just full of himself, and not very competent. I voted for Trump btw, but wasn't happy about it.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
A friend of mine compared Trump to Pius Thicknesse. So I guess Putin put him under the Imperius curse? Still trying to work that one out. I like the Lockhart comparison. Not evil, just full of himself, and not very competent. I voted for Trump btw, but wasn't happy about it.

But Lockhart was evil. His being full of himself caused tens of people to lose their memories so he could steal their credit, he abandoned his student during her time of need as she was dying, he nearly made two of his students lose their memories...

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:13 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Labeling individuals - not just statements or actions - as "deplorables" is pretty hateful. And before you say that she was only speaking about "some" of his supporters, she said "about half" of Trump's supporters. IOW, 23 MILLION Americans. How many of them has she met? The fact that they were voting for Trump was enough "proof" to write every one of those voters off as "deplorables" because they must be racist, homophobic or otherwise bigoted. To me, that's a lot more than condemnation.

But I agree with your Lockhart call 100% LOL

I am still trying to work some thoughts on this out.

On the Huma Abedin thread some people are gloating about her downfall because she is an antisemite. That's being hateful towards a hater. But for Hillary to consider the racists and other haters in Trump's camp "deplorable" is wrong? Please explain why.

Or do Trump supporters resent being considered a hater just because he is? Do they feel unfairly labeled because their choicr was motivated by economics more than anything else? I get that, too.

But the perspective she was coming from with that ill-fated comment was "you may not be a hater, but you are supporting one", and it's frustrating because "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".

She shouldn't have said that. But I'm trying to understand the double standard here.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
But Lockhart was evil. His being full of himself caused tens of people to lose their memories so he could steal their credit, he abandoned his student during her time of need as she was dying, he nearly made two of his students lose their memories...

It's more of a "I want what I want" self-absorption than hateful "you can't have that just because I don't like you".

I think that fits Trump, more than outright evil (though what he has given voice to is scary).

I don't even think he is a misogynyst as much as he simply views all of humanity as existing to fulfill his whims.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 3:10 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I am still trying to work some thoughts on this out.

On the Huma Abedin thread some people are gloating about her downfall because she is an antisemite. That's being hateful towards a hater. But for Hillary to consider the racists and other haters in Trump's camp "deplorable" is wrong? Please explain why.

Or do Trump supporters resent being considered a hater just because he is? Do they feel unfairly labeled because their choicr was motivated by economics more than anything else? I get that, too.

But the perspective she was coming from with that ill-fated comment was "you may not be a hater, but you are supporting one", and it's frustrating because "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".

She shouldn't have said that. But I'm trying to understand the double standard here.

It's more that there is an assumption being made that HALF of Trump's supporters fit into said "basket of deplorables". Are there racists, homophobes, bigots, misogynists, and other deplorable individuals who voted for him? Unquestionably. But to decide that 23 MILLION Americans fit under that umbrella is unrealistic, unfair, and IMO, played a large role in mobilizing so many people to come out and vote when they never did so in their lives.

And the "you may not be a hater but you're voting for one" thing goes both ways - you could say, "you may not be a liar and a criminal but you're voting for one"...

Additionally, I think Trump is a big talker, much more than a hater - he says what he believes in the moment, and next moment he thinks something else (part of my hesitance to vote for him). Many things he said were unfairly taken out of context, or twisted [Please note I am NOT referring to the so-called "locker-room banter"]. The Muslim thing - honestly, he was trying to get a reaction, but when it came down to an actual policy, he (or his advisers, anyway) came out with a very reasonable policy, in line with what the CIA and DHS have been saying about the very real threat posed by ISIS infiltrating the refugee population. AS for homophobia? I honestly think this is ridiculous - many conservatives dislike him precisely BECAUSE he is not anti-gay at all.

ETA - I just saw a headline - Trump says he WILL deport MILLIONS - in the body of the article they mention that, oh yeah, he is saying he is deporting VIOLENT CRIMINAL illegal immigrants. But the tone is set by the headline.

Bottom line, Donald trump thinks about the bottom line. He is also a sensationalist. But he has been made out to be scarier than is really fair.

Last edited by tryinghard on Sun, Nov 13 2016, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 3:13 pm
youngishbear wrote:
It's more of a "I want what I want" self-absorption than hateful "you can't have that just because I don't like you".

I think that fits Trump, more than outright evil (though what he has given voice to is scary).

I don't even think he is a misogynyst as much as he simply views all of humanity as existing to fulfill his whims.

Basically, they're both classic narcissists - which can be very, very evil, even if it's not the classic terrorist kind of evil.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 3:17 pm
I saw this presidential race compared to Lockhart vs. Umbridge Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics