Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Teacher hits the dogs

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 9:48 pm
I am in school for dog grooming. I have one teacher who always hits the dogs that don't sit still when she is working with them. It is very upsetting to me. The administration looks the other way. What should I do?

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
I am in school for dog grooming. I have one teacher who always hits the dogs that don't sit still when she is working with them. It is very upsetting to me. The administration looks the other way. What should I do?

I would and I also would ask that the administration contact the owners of the dogs. Not all owners hit.

groisamomma

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:18 pm
I've never heard of hitting a dog. Do people really do that?!

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:19 pm
It sounds like abuse to me. Isn't it illegal to hit dogs?

Ashrei

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:24 pm
If the teacher really seems to know what she's doing, I wouldn't start trouble. If she seems seriously irate and abusive, maybe, but I have a feeling she doesn't.

gp2.0

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 10:46 pm
Not ok. I would innocently ask the teacher if she recommends hitting the dogs as part of the dog grooming technique. Ask if you should hit the dogs too. 👿

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 11:16 pm
The funny part is that there are two teachers in the room with us students. The other teacher does not hit the dogs. I have also not seen any other students hit the dogs. The administration looks the other way. The dogs can't talk.

I will ask the teacher if she wants us to hit the dogs several times when we groom it. How many times should we hit each dog and how many times do we poke them with one finger in the nose, like she does.

chani8

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:44 am
Oh my. Not ok. I'd report her to the admin.

BrachaBatya

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:28 am
NOT OKAY!!! Report it.

LeahRivka

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:47 am
As a dog owner I would not want anyone hitting my dogs. If a groomer did so I would for sure want to know, and not let that person near animals in the future.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 11:03 am
Why don't you contact the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/contact-us

They may be able to help refer who you can contact in your state.

I think hitting a dog like this is animal cruelty & should be reported. And I think it's ridiculous the administration is turning their head and ignoring the situation.

Is there anyway you can transfer to a different dog grooming program? I personally would not want to be at a school that treats animals in such a way.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 3:44 pm
Mad Mad Mad If anyone ever hit my dogs, I'd make sure that they would never be allowed within 100 yards of an animal for the rest of their lives!

All animals are Hashem's creatures, and we have an obligation to treat them with as much kindness as possible.

DH is a shochet, and the halacha of how to treat animals is extensive. This is not something to be taken lightly. DH doesn't even like my dogs, but he if he wakes up before I do (which he usually does), he will make sure that they have clean water and food before he has his coffee or goes to daven. Helpless animals come before human needs, always.

He even got fired once because he complained that the cattle were not given water in their holding pens. "What do you care, they'll be dead soon anyway!" said his boss. The plant was not happy that DH insisted that halacha states that you can't withhold water from animals for more than 24 hours, so they branded him a "trouble maker".

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 8:10 pm
Report them.
Teachers abusing their defenseless charges should never be tolerated.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 4:37 pm
I contacted the publishers of Groomer to Groomer magazine and they sent me the following video for difficult dogs to show to my teachers.

I also spoke to the makers of groomers helper. They are sending someone to my school for free to show the teachers how to groom a dog without hitting it.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:50 pm
Update for January. My instructor was terminated. No explanation given. I wonder why...

familyfirst

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:43 am
You should be proud of yourself. You were proactive and kind. If I had a dog I would want you to be its groomer.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 10:56 am
Wow! Good for you for speaking up! We need more people like you in the world. 🤗
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics