Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Research says People Change Their Sheets 4 Times a YEAR?
1  2  3  Next

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:25 pm
I just read an article on hygiene that states "according to a recent poll the majority of people ages 18-55 change their bedsheets FOUR TIMES a year.

In a word: EEEEEEEEWWWWWW!

I have all the linens changed every week- general Thursdays.

Granted I have mature adult/teen kids- no bedwetting or vomiting- anymore :-)

What do you think?
How often do you change bed linens????

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:34 pm
I have no dryer, so ours get done ideally every other week... but that can be less often if it's a particularly cold winter and stuff just won't line-dry quickly. I'd prefer to sleep in my own month-old sheets that smell like me than "fresh" sheets that smell like mildew, but that's just my personal preference. Wink

I strongly suspect, though, that the 18-30 y.o. males in the study were pulling the average down. I'm not sure my brothers ever changed their sheets when they were in yeshiva in Israel- maybe pre-Pesach, but that's likely it. Twisted Evil

ETA- if you are a guest at my house, you will get clean sheets.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:36 pm
When adult DS came home from learning in EY for a year, his linen was as stiff as a board -- it had never been washed! It went straight in to the garbage.

That said, my linen is changed weekly, by a cleaning lady. However, if I had to do it myself, I'm sure it would be every other week. I can't imagine less often than that.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:37 pm
I change the linen every 3 weeks, once in a while in 4 weeks.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:38 pm
Before kids, I changed sheets at least every other week (or when I was lazy, we just swithxed to the other bed! The perks of Niddah... Always having another bed made up LOL ).
Now, with one kid, every week. Our son climbs into the bed, and the linen feels less fresh and crisp.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:46 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
When adult DS came home from learning in EY for a year, his linen was as stiff as a board -- it had never been washed! It went straight in to the garbage.

That said, my linen is changed weekly, by a cleaning lady. However, if I had to do it myself, I'm sure it would be every other week. I can't imagine less often than that.
this

cm

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:07 pm
Yay, we get to discuss this again!
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

Weekly for me (no cleaning help).

I'm curious to know how that research study was conducted. On a college campus, perhaps?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:08 pm
By weekly. Done by yours truly.
My kids I do every few days whenever I do a light colored or white load. With school and babysitter (germs) and napping in their clothing, it'll be filthy if I did it twice a month. Or even weekly.

Mine and dhs linen gets changed approximately once in 2 (sometimes 3) weeks in the winter but pillows weekly. In the summer same as the kids. Every colored or white load I throw in the pillow shams and sheets. Duvet covers every week or so.
We do not have good ac in the house.

Guest room has their own linen and is washed and put back as soon as the guest leave so it is always ready.

The above survey reminds me of my sister. Ewww.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:22 pm
I think an important point is is how often do you change your linens yourself. My cleaning lady does it every other week, I hope I would do the same but I can't promise. Most people across the country don't have cleaning ladies.

livinginflatbus

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:25 pm
Every 2 to 3 weeks and cleaning lady does it

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:27 pm
Every other week when I have a cleaning lady, every 3-6 weeks when I don't.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:30 pm
No cleaning lady. Yours truly does it with DH after we wash it. I would say every 4 weeks, but sometimes we actually do forget and then it is a little bit longer.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:31 pm
Most people don't have cleaning help. I don't.

animeme

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:37 pm
Cleaning lady does it every other week. Otherwise, I have back issues, so I have no clue how often I'd do it without her. For a lot of people, the logistics of getting the new sheets back on are too much of a pain.

I have trained by mesivta bachur to change his sheets every Rosh Chodesh; it's the only way he remembers.

myraclaire

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:40 pm
Cleaning lady does it weekly. I also change my own pillowcase every few days. If no cleaning lady, it would be maybe one to two times a month.
Note: no one (including myself is allowed to sit on My bed in street clothes.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:51 pm
When no cleaning help, about biweekly, although that can change if I have night sweats or really bad allergies. During the summer when I'm only home shabbos, it's once a minth

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 4:25 pm
Every 2 months or so.

No cleaning help. No dh help. No energy. And I can't stand changing sheets. Sheets are on the bottom of my list except if they get dirty (child wet their bed or someone is extra sweaty). Baby's sheet gets changed weekly. Top of the bunk mattress sheet gets changed when I have someone to help me do it as I can't put on a new one by myself.

debsey

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 5:01 pm
By people, they must mean teenage boys. My sons constantly resist changing their linen, even though I am the one who washes it and give them the fresh set to put on their beds. I personally like to change mine once a week, and my daughters feel the same. My sons, on the other hand........

anotherima

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 5:07 pm
I change the linen once a week. If I have guests for shabbos or the married kids come their linen gets washed and beds remade, but that's not every week.
I really enjoy sleeping on clean sheets, they smell nice and just feel so good.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 5:39 pm
So I believe this study. I probably change sheets about 4 times a year too! I never grew up washing sheets weekly. Every few weeks or months is how often my mom washed them. Until Imamother I had no idea weekly is considered normal.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics