Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Research says People Change Their Sheets 4 Times a YEAR?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 5:56 pm
I grew up changing my sheets very infrequently. Probably 4 times a year too (or less). I didn't even know it's normal to change more often. It was too much work for my mother.

Now that I'm married, my sheets are washed every week, by yours truly. My husband and I both put the linen back on. I'll usually do the sheets and pillowcases and my DH will put the blanket covers back on.

My baby's crib sheet is washed at least once a week.

pizza4

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:03 pm
When I do it myself, every 3 weeks. When I have cleaning help, I'll change after 2. I used to every week. I can't imagine having time and energy for that. I'm so wiped after working all day and taking care of the kids, it's more important to be on top of all the rest of the laundry at this point!

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:24 pm
granted: we dont own very expencive bedsheets- just regular cotton bedsheets- but we own severeal sets. As I dont own a dryer, I can simply switch to another set, without having to wait for the washed sheets to have dryed first.

I dont think changing sheets is very difficult, it takes about 3-5 minutes/bed. If dH helps me it is really quick and easy. I have a cleaning lady who changes sheets every week. However before I had cleaning help and also now occasionally when my celaning help cannot come, I change the sheets by myself- no big deal.

Obviously kids sheets can get stained more often - so whenever needed.

I dont understand why one would wait severeal weeks to change sheets...maybe european beds are different? different matresses? simpler system?

Or maybe we just dont manage to keep the sheets clean???

I definitely notice a difference between freshly washed linen and how they feel after a week of usage.

I find ironing duvetcoveres is really hard work (unless u have microfibre or such)- if im tired or had a long working day I might occasionally skip the ironing, but not the sheet-changing.

cm

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
I dont think changing sheets is very difficult, it takes about 3-5 minutes/bed. If dH helps me it is really quick and easy. I have a cleaning lady who changes sheets every week. However before I had cleaning help and also now occasionally when my celaning help cannot come, I change the sheets by myself- no big deal.

Agreed. Obviously some people are not able to change sheets because of back pain or other problems, but in general it is not that difficult.

Very young children can strip their own beds, and can make beds from early elementary school age, especially if you use fitted sheets. We strip our beds first thing Sunday morning (our free day) and start the washer. Later in the day, between family activities, the sheets go in the dryer. By bedtime, everyone remakes his or her own bed.

Yes, it's a nuisance and not my favorite chore, but it is hardly as labor intensive as many other household tasks.

pizza4

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:42 pm
amother wrote:

I dont understand why one would wait severeal weeks to change sheets...maybe european beds are different? different matresses? simpler system?

I definitely notice a difference between freshly washed linen and how they feel after a week of usage.

I find ironing duvetcoveres is really hard work (unless u have microfibre or such)- if im tired or had a long working day I might occasionally skip the ironing, but not the sheet-changing.

Well perhaps I have less energy. When I do have energy, it probably takes about 5 minutes a bed, but usually just thinking of the task makes me feel tired!
I love freshly washed sheets too. Sometimes I think to myself I should get my act together and wash more often, but again, so many things are calling for my attention and since I'm a human being, some fall to the side. Different things are more important to different people.
And I haven't ironed since shana rishona (besides for dh kittel twice a year which he sometimes does himself....) again, different priorities.

animeme

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
granted: we dont own very expencive bedsheets- just regular cotton bedsheets- but we own severeal sets. As I dont own a dryer, I can simply switch to another set, without having to wait for the washed sheets to have dryed first.

You and I live in different worlds.

A) It would never occured to me to iron anything that goes on a bed.
B) In my world, I can't count on dh being home at a time that the beds aren't being slept in.

Many people find changing sheets difficult. Beds are in corners or are bunkbeds. 5 minutes per bed can mean 45 minutes of work. Not everyone is in great shape.

But Yasher koach to you, literally.

pizza4

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:46 pm
[/quote]
Very young children can strip their own beds, and can make beds from early elementary school age, especially if you use fitted sheets. We strip our beds first thing Sunday morning (our free day) and start the washer. Later in the day, between family activities, the sheets go in the dryer. By bedtime, everyone remakes his or her own bed.
[/quote]
I'd love to have that kind of system one day. You sound so organized and together.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:51 pm
Every Friday rain or shine and if erev YT is Wed or Thurs we change then. This was the schedule at home growing up, in summer camp and on kibbutz, and were it not for imamother I would never have dreamed that this is not standard throughout the civilized world. (Obviously more often if circumstances warrant and also obviously, I should hope, between guests.) I could have lived another hundred years in ignorant bliss.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 6:53 pm
Once a week on Friday mornings. I love these changing linen threads, not quite as good as s@x towel threads but interesting none the less.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:03 pm
Every 2-3 weeks. I love fresh linen!
I don't have a cleaning lady.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:07 pm
amother wrote:

I hate that I'm so cowardly about this, but I guess I'm just embarrassed. I am one of those very infrequent sheet-changers. A few caveats before I explain - anything actually soiled gets changed immediately, so my kids end up changed more than my own. Also, DH and I are very careful, and I think in close to a decade, we have gotten the sheets dirty during intimacy maybe twice.

That being said:

We have one set of sheets, one set of duvet covers. I have been trying to get another set, but it's not so simple when you have no money. I get overwhelmed by the laundry in my household as it is, so the pressure of stripping the beds, running two separate loads (can't fit the sheets and duvets in one load), often needing to run the dryer at least twice to get it dry, and then managing to get the beds made again, all in one day makes me push it off. The intent is NEVER to wait that long. But it gets pushed off again, and again... I hate that I am like this, but that's the situation.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:09 pm
Why do ppl feel the need to change their sheets so often?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:13 pm
"...You do the math: if a human spends eight hours a day in bed, and we shed one gram of skin and a pint of water in sweat when sleeping, that's quite a build up - and the perfect environment for those dirty mites to live and breed.
We shed up to 3.6 kilograms of skin each year and an average bed can contain anywhere from 100,000 to 2,000,000 dust mites."
http://www.news.com.au/lifesty.....97635

Individual with asthma or allergies should be aware that mites, shed skin, and bacteria can increase your symptoms.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:26 pm
Don't know if this affects it, but I shower before bed time. I don't feel my sheets get sweaty or dirty.

And I am (mildly) allergic to dust mites. Never noticed increased symptoms for not changing sheets frequently.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 8:57 pm
I consider myself to be a fairly clean person, and my house is well kept and organized. Dh is also almost ocd when it comes to cleanliness. I wash linen approx. every 3-4 weeks, and none of us has an issue with that! We go to bed freshly showered, if that matters.
Tbh, I'm quite surprised by how many people here change their sheets so often. I don't know anyone irl that does less than every two weeks.

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:03 pm
Theoretically every two weeks. If I'm overwhelmed, it can get add up to once a month. Lately that's been happening a lot.

I'm a single working mother of toddlers, if that makes a difference.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:20 pm
Every two weeks.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
I hate that I'm so cowardly about this, but I guess I'm just embarrassed. I am one of those very infrequent sheet-changers. A few caveats before I explain - anything actually soiled gets changed immediately, so my kids end up changed more than my own. Also, DH and I are very careful, and I think in close to a decade, we have gotten the sheets dirty during intimacy maybe twice.

That being said:

We have one set of sheets, one set of duvet covers. I have been trying to get another set, but it's not so simple when you have no money. I get overwhelmed by the laundry in my household as it is, so the pressure of stripping the beds, running two separate loads (can't fit the sheets and duvets in one load), often needing to run the dryer at least twice to get it dry, and then managing to get the beds made again, all in one day makes me push it off. The intent is NEVER to wait that long. But it gets pushed off again, and again... I hate that I am like this, but that's the situation.

If you need another set of sheets and duvet covers, I can probably give you one.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 9:24 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
When adult DS came home from learning in EY for a year, his linen was as stiff as a board -- it had never been washed! It went straight in to the garbage.

That said, my linen is changed weekly, by a cleaning lady. However, if I had to do it myself, I'm sure it would be every other week. I can't imagine less often than that.

same here. When I did it myself it was every other week and when it's a cleaning lady - every week. Bli Ayin Hara my son doesn't have accidents so all sheets and linen changed together.

marry gold

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 11:01 pm
Every 2 weeks.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics